Snow Tires? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Snow Tires? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; exactly. Some decent winters will drive well in the dry and awesome in average snow, then when some hits get ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    exactly. Some decent winters will drive well in the dry and awesome in average snow, then when some hits get some sticky summers and live the good life
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    +1 to all the comments above regarding dedicated winter tires.

I've been driving on "all seasons" on my previous cars and thought they were awesome on snow and ice. When my WRX came with summer tires last year I decided to get a second set of wheels and try out performance snow tires(not as soft as full winter tires so it's not as squirmy at high speeds).

They were night and day difference between all seasons and winter tires for cold weather driving. I ran into a iced over hill to get to the closest gasoline station by my house. There were trucks (Ford F150, Chevy Tahoe) , normal FWD cars (Honda accord), and cross over SUV's (Honda CRV, Pilot) sliding down the hill backwards. I had to drive on the oncoming lane to avoid getting hit. My car drove like it was a summer day lol.

BTW I have Hankook Icebear W300's 205/50 R17's on 7.5 inch wide wheels (about 1 and 1/4 inch narrower that stock 235's). My car plows through snow and ice like it's a playground and handles well on dry surfaces as well. They are also quite cheap when I got them ($120 a tire if I remember correctly)
    Last edited by KHP; 09-14-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I live in buffalo and drove a modded Pontiac G8 for 2 winters. My winter tires were blizzak winter performance. The car was awesome on anything but an uphill road, where it was still ok. Not bad for 350 HP at the rear wheels.

There is a huge difference for those of you that have never had dedicated winter tires. I highly recommend them for any car or truck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

After reading the replies I'm now leaning towards a set of blizzaks. All together I can get the 4 Sparcos and the 4 Blizzaks for under $1400 shipped. I think that's a pretty good price if I'll be using it November through March (or when it's typically below freezing here).

I Support ClubWRX
    the winter tires should go on your car & you should run them at temps 40F & below
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Myself I will be running 16's with the Dunlop winter sport 3d's, and Elbrus l03's wheels. Total with shipping is in the $1100 range. Those dunlop's sold me with all the WRX reviews on Tirerack. I would go with the general's but tirerack has an estimated arrival date of late november. Thats cutting it a bit close for me considering I've heard the summer tires on the WRX are downright dangerous even on dustings of snow (small snow storms start in early-mid November here in Utah).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SFer
    After reading the replies I'm now leaning towards a set of blizzaks. All together I can get the 4 Sparcos and the 4 Blizzaks for under $1400 shipped. I think that's a pretty good price if I'll be using it November through March (or when it's typically below freezing here).
    As I said earlier, the compound that makes Blizzaks good wears down after a few seasons, which makes them pretty much an A/S. Other tires will have a longer "effective" life. Know that the performance will be noticeably less as you get down to ~50% tread.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've had all seasons and summers / winters. There are certainly places where an all season / summer combo would be preferred over winter / summer. All seasons are very much noticeably better in dry winter conditions and are more than adequate unless you are dealing with deep snow or hills regularly.

Edit: I am referring to performance winters
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.