I'm New with no boost !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm New with no boost ! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, This is my first Subaru and I'm new to the forum. I got a 2005 wrx with about ...

Red face I'm New with no boost !

Hey guys,

This is my first Subaru and I'm new to the forum.

I got a 2005 wrx with about 100k on it, everything is stock.

the guage on top by the steering just goes up to is it .6 or 6 and thats it.

it drives like a normal car no real ump you know but then again I never had a turbo charged car but shouldn't the boost be noticeable !

Another thing is the gas mileage is really bad. I filled up and drove about 50 miles and its already on 3/4 tank is that normal for these cars ?

any feed back that can help me fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey im new too!! lol.

Alright man first off let me just say that i am in no way a WRX guru i recently purchased my 2011 WRX a week ago and it is also my first forced induction car. With that said i have been on the on/off track racing scene for a while and have owned and tweeked several N/A performance cars prior to my WRX. So now that you know the background i am working with I will attempt to ASSIST you with your possible problem. The number one thing i can say is that you should definitely feel at least feel the car pull harder when the turbo spools up. The WRX you own does not have the same turbo as my 2011 so a comparison would not be accurate since my car has a 2.5L engine and a VF52 turbo which as far as I know makes abt 13.5 lbs of boost stock. When I push the gas to WOT there is about a 1 second period of turbo lag and than there is no doubt that the turbo has spooled and is at max boost. If im not mistaken your subaru is equipped with a 2.0 liter engine and i believe it is called a TD04 turbo that should make about 13.5 lbs of boost as well. As for the gas problem if you really used a quarter tank in 50 miles that is not normal at all. But remember dont just assume you guage is accurate maybe look up how many gallons your tank holds, fill it up and divide the miles you drove by how many gallons you really used to see if its a faulty guage. or avoid it all and take it to a subaru certified mechanic and have them look it over for you. They will charge a small fee but it is worth it so you know what you are getting yourself into man. hopefully this is helpfull.

P.S. if anyone sees any incorrect info in my post feel free to correct me as I am a new guy on here, thanks yew

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Congrats on the purchase!

First: Any modifications to the car?
    Second: What gear are you measuring your boost in?
    Third: Where are you located?
    Fourth: How are you measuring your boost? Is it the stock gauge?
    Fifth: Are there any Check Engine Lights? Is your Cruise Control light blinking?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Hey Guys,

thanks for all the input !

Here is some more details. I should have mentioned it is an Automatic as well.

I had a guy check it out beore i got it but no compression + leakdown tests were done. There were two code one for low voltage and one for the abs sensor. it had a minor accident in 2006 in Florida , you can see where in that they just knocked the dents back out. I did a Carfax which showed the accident.

i bought it from a guy who has a dealer license and buys out of state cars and sells them here in New York.

He doesn't have have any info about maintenace or service.

Only got the car last thursday.

Car is Stock.

Its an Auto.

I am looking at the stock gauge and it only goes up to .6 i think it is. (i will double check. i sent the car to detail, it was in a real mess). Its like a regular car , no kick from the Turbo.

My brothers Minivan has more pull that me right now ! Thats just not right !

I'm in NYC

No Check Engine Light.

No Blinking Lights.

Its averaging about 14 miles per gallon but i was trying to see it the turbo would kick in since i had it. I filled it up with 93 octane from a Mobil 1

Thanks again for all your responses !

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    check your boost and vacuum lines
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Ok this is what I got with learning to read the boost gauge.

On N 500 rpm : -.07
    On D 500 rpm : -.06
    2000 rpm : 0.0
    2500 rpm : 0.02
    3500 rpm : 0.05

I check this on the Belt pkwy but there was too much traffic.

So it looks like the turbo is working but the boost is building real slow which would be caused by vacuum leaks right ?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Nic

Well what gear is that in? That is 7 lbs of boost by 3500 rpm.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like wastegate spring pressure only. The turbo is probably fine and the issue is the boost control system. Make sure it is hooked up like so and all the hoses are good, test the solenoid if that doesn't work.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

gas mileage on an AWD turbo car is never going to be that great unless you drive it like a grandma, and even then you can't expect too much.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Well what gear is that in? That is 7 lbs of boost by 3500 rpm.
    I think it was already in 4th

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That looks like wastegate spring pressure only. The turbo is probably fine and the issue is the boost control system. Make sure it is hooked up like so and all the hoses are good, test the solenoid if that doesn't work.
    Thanks mycologist ! I will check this over the weekend !

Quote Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
    gas mileage on an AWD turbo car is never going to be that great unless you drive it like a grandma, and even then you can't expect too much.
    i don't drive mine anywhere near a "Grandma" style and avg 22mpg but 14 seems low for the car.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Quote Originally Posted by Rrzzar View Post
    I think it was already in 4th
    at what speed?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    at what speed?
    about 50-60 mph

ok. Ya check all your lines as posted. Honestly I would just go pick up some vacuum hose and replace all of the lines except the one with the pill in it. Its a pretty quick thing to do and will eliminate any sneaky leaks. You need either 5/16" id or 3.5mm id
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.