2002 Subaru WRX- mods?

This is a discussion on 2002 Subaru WRX- mods? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a 2002 Wrx with 121000 miles on it. It is completely stock and I want to know ...

2002 Subaru WRX- mods?

I just bought a 2002 Wrx with 121000 miles on it.

It is completely stock and I want to know what are some good, PRACTICAL mods I can do to give it a bit more power. My dad and I have put in manual boost control which has helps boost the power a little bit and has helped bring some torque down below 3000 rpm, thank god.

I'm looking to have maybe about 250-300 hp. Nothing to crazy. I also don't want to turn this car into a race car, pushing all the power to the tippy top of the rev line, which I've heard can happen with some of the flash tuning.

i want to keep the power and torque as low as possible while still boosting the power up a bit. This is gonna be a daily driver after all.

I was already thinking a cold air intake, maybe a cat back exhaust.

any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    None of the above.

Take off the boost controller, bring boost control back to stock. No cold air intake either.

Look into an up pipe, a down pipe, the two associated CEL fixes, and afterwards a reflash.

See the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

MBC can be good, but because of the boost curve on the stock turbo, it's not your best option at all. Go for a grimmspeed, perrin, GM, etc. EBCS.

Get an up-pipe, TBE, and a good tune. Work from there.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Put a cobb AP with a cobb stage 1 map on it. If the extra few horses aren't enough, look into stage II- I.E., up-pipe, TBE, and either a pro tune or a cobb stage 2 tune. Cold air intakes really mess with our cars. So do blow off valves. Avoid both. Also, the tune is the really essential part of the car. Mods are useless (and dangerous) without a good tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    The car will be OK as long as boost control is corrected and the Subaru system is restored. An exhaust can be fitted without too much worry at all. The up pipe is a pain to do but people get nervous about the cat coming apart so I can see it being done even preventatively depending on the owner's wishes. If the OP does not want to spend for a tune (s)he can fit an exhaust and up pipe and use mechanical CEL fixes to get rid of the lights, and call it a day. Output will improve with just those mods and safely, if boost control is corrected to stock.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

All true, yet I like to err on the side of caution and not push the limits, because I tend to have really bad luck with technology as it is. To each their own

thanks guys. I will look into doing some of those things.

also the only reason we are using manual boost control is to bring the car back up to what it was boosting when it was stock. It has lost a little juice after 120k miles

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    You still shouldn't be running one without a tune. Your turbo is tired after that many miles and your pushing it too hard. Your best choice would be to replace the turbo with a lower mileage TD04 - can be had for $100, a downpipe, up pipe, catback and tune. That will give you a big boost
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercasio View Post
    also the only reason we are using manual boost control is to bring the car back up to what it was boosting when it was stock. It has lost a little juice after 120k miles
    Sorry but I don't follow. Let's be literal, it's less expensive that way. Cars don't have juice as you know. Let's ignore one question begged, that is, how you know the car has somehow lost some sort of performance since you just bought it and therefore did not know what it was like previously, and let's look at the car as either working correctly, or not. So:
    1. If you have a mechanical problem, do the math and if the math makes sense, fix it.
    2. If the math does not make sense, leave the car alone after putting it back to stock.

130k or so is not unusual for these cars, and if they are maintained correctly it should not be an issue. If you have a boost leak, find and fix it. If there is a more extensive problem, see math above. Sort the car first, then if it's still not quick enough, modify I suppose.

i am new to the game and I am going to trust that you all know a lot more than i do about this. I will discuss this with my dad and get back on the thread. Thank you guys for lookin out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercasio View Post
    i am new to the game and I am going to trust that you all know a lot more than i do about this. I will discuss this with my dad and get back on the thread. Thank you guys for lookin out.
    Firstly, welcome. Welcome to your dad too if/when he visits. The link in my signature has lots of info on every aspect of the car, and I think it will save you both time and money to follow those threads because it's not worth re-inventing the wheel etc. if the info is out there. It will provide you relatively safe and inexpensive paths to do anything necessary to put the car back in stock working order, and also from there to make modifications that are proven effective. Enjoy.