Warranty/ BOV Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Warranty/ BOV Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Recently bought my first rex (new 2011) and new member to club WRX. I was reading a PDF about the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Warranty/ BOV Question

Recently bought my first rex (new 2011) and new member to club WRX. I was reading a PDF about the warranty and it seams like anything you mod to boost performance can come back to bite you on the warranty. For most things, I'll probably just order SPT parts and have the dealership install them to avoid that but I do want to replace the BPV with the Perrin recirc BOV. I was wondering if I did that and just put the stock BPV back on when I take it in for maintenance or to have it repaired if they might notice that? Very noobish question and I am a noob so any input would be appreciated... THANKS!!
    Last edited by Romdizzle; 09-09-2011 at 09:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Romdizzle View Post
    I was reading a PDF about the warranty and it seams like anything you mod to boost performance can come back to bite you on the warranty.
    If their parts fail under warranty they will fix the car.

If your imitation/aftermarket/etc. parts fail under warranty you will fix the car.

So far so good, fair is fair.

What could be questionable is if your imitation/aftermarket/etc. parts don't fail but their parts do, yet they blame your parts and won't fix the car.

When this happens, typically people post on the forums for help, and others respond citing laws and regulations and so on, stating "it can't be this way" or "it won't be this way" but at the end of the day, you have a car that won't be fixed under warranty without a battle, the dealer doesn't care either way, and all the supreme court justices on the car fora go on to other threads.

I was wondering if I did that and just put the stock BPV back on when I take it in for maintenance or to have it repaired if they might notice that?
    I probably would but I'm not a mechanic on the clock, I'm some guy that likes authentic parts. They may not. Your call.

Very noobish question and I am a noob so any input would be appreciated... THANKS!!
    Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You do not need a BOV.

What exactly is your goal with it?If you are looking for the sound then an air intake will do.

Would like to add that all parts have to be installed before delivery if they are to be included in the car warranty.Meaning, if your dealer installs a part at a future time,the warranty on the part is good,however any damage caused by the said part to the car will lead to a denial of warranty coverage of the car itself.

Also there aren't many SPT parts to choose from.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 09-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

W ell spoken as always SD...

Using any unauthorised part is asking for trouble IMHO and would be frowned upon if you needed a warranty repair... Your stock BPV works just fine plus doesnt require any maintainence... Personally I see no point in spending money to upgrade just for a noisemaker...

Welcome to the club and post up some pictures of your subaru...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the helpful input and open arms people. Already feelin like part of the fam. Honestly, I don't plan on doin too much... I already have the SPT catback exhaust on her which sounds awesome without being too loud. I do want to throw an intake in there too so I'll talk to the dealership and see what they say about that. The rest I want to do is pretty much cosmetic like window tint, painting the rims and brake calipers, mud flaps, interior lighting etc. As far as the BOV... I know it's just a glorified noise maker, but ever since I was a teenager and saw the first Fast and Furious I just wanted a car that sounded like that! Coincidentally, when I was talking to a co-worker (I work at a luxury hotel in the Napa Valley) about installing a BOV I looked at today's arrivals and saw that Paul Walker is staying there tonight and kinda saw it as a sign lol. I did just have the moon roof installed and they're installing the fog lights on Monday so after that's done I'll post more pics but here's one of her the day after I bought her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	99303

Again, thanks for the input!!!

NYeah no problem man, your part of the clubdub family and nice car BTW...

If you want to hear you BPV more, there is a SPT short ram intake that wont give you any warranty issues... Window tint is always a good thing and one of the first upgrades I did to mine... You might want to gut out the stock stereo (if you havent allready) I had to cause the stock one in my 06 was horriable at best... You might want to look into swaybars w/ endlinks, shortshifter w/ bushings, and stainless steel braided brake lines are a few cheap upgrades that make a world of difference in how your car performs, feels, and drives...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a follow up.I don't think SPT makes an intake for the 2011s.For an aftermarket intake you will need to get a tune.

And you are installing a moon roof?

The first mod I would do would be the short shifter & shifter bushings.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, when I sat down with the salesman to talk about the car prices and options I mentioned I wanted the premium because it has the moon roof and fog lights. I found out the one I was looking at was just sold and they said they could install that stuff later for me in this one... I was a bit reluctant at first but the roof turned out great and I got the CB exhaust. It was done by the dealership so it's on them if it leaks or something.

She actually came with a short throw so I don't have to worry about that and I'll definitely look into swaybars and brake lines. The stereo's actually decent (2 front and 2 rear speakers w/a couple of tweeters level to the side mirrors) so I think all I'm gonna do with that is add a sub and amp.

Has anyone seen any aftermarket tail lights for the '11s? The stock lights are just so white and sticks out to me too much with the black. I don't want to tint/cover them but I would like to swap them out with a darker backed set.

Thanks guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Romdizzle
    The stereo's actually decent (2 front and 2 rear speakers w/a couple of tweeters level to the side mirrors) so I think all I'm gonna do with that is add a sub and amp.
    The stock speakers are under-powered. Make sure to get a 4- or 5-channel to at least power the fronts

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

stock bpv is fine...its only until stage 3 until you need a bov...dont waste the money...spend it on an up pipe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.