New guy. Hoping to purchase within a week or two. Need insight
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New guy. Hoping to purchase within a week or two. Need insight within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. I'm looking to get into an 02-05 wrx as soon as I can find a worthy one. But ...

New guy. Hoping to purchase within a week or two. Need insight

Hey guys. I'm looking to get into an 02-05 wrx as soon as I can find a worthy one. But my concern is the mileage and wear/tear on cars of these years. Are there any issues, quirks, or tell-tale signs I need to look for?

I have found a few in my area that "look" to be in pretty decent shape. Some are in the +100k mile club. But until I actually go look I know nothing of how they perform. Also I have seen a few "salvage" title vehicles. Most of which look to be as straight as any others on the market. Are these ones I should stay clear of completely?

This car is going to replace my DD and it will see 100 miles a day(90% of which is freeway). So I want to get the best deal for the best car possible.

Thanks for any input. And if any of you guys know of a good WRX for sale in the SoCal area throw me a bone please lol...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

try to stay away from an 02 wrx.....weak second gear so if u miss shift you ll probably strip the gear

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Disagree. Dont stay away from the 02 for that reason! If you want to slam your gears, then get a 6 speed, which comes in the sti. They say 02-03 have "glass transmissions" but as long as you know how to drive a stick without forcing/slamming gears, you will be fine.

Look for a unmolested wrx for many different reasons. You dont want someone elses headache with a modified car. Post what you find and we will give our opinions about it.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Do not buy a car without a smog certificate. Do not buy a car without a service history and authentic Subaru parts. See the how-to sticky threads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I wouldn't buy a salvage title car.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    #1 check the coolant anything but green I'd walk
    #2 have a mechanic look it ove 35-40$ vs hundreds in repairs he'l save you if he catches it before you buy
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to go take a look @ this 04 w/AT sometime this week.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Seems as though the unmolested market isn't very broad in my area lol! Should I worry much about the mileage? My TSX has higher and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it ANYWHERE.

I am also a certified mechanic(diesel primarily) and will be looking all potential purchases over very carefully. Just wondering if there are any common issues I should be aware of. Subaru's are a brand I have not had the pleasure of tinkering with...... Yet!

Thanks again

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Are you sure you want an automatic?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I wasn't looking for an auto. But it's not an idea I'm completely against. I have been looking at a few of each. Seems like every WRB sedan in my area is an auto lol!

Sent from my Galaxy S

I Support ClubWRX
    Something to consider: A/T will be more difficult to sell, and have a lower resale value as a comparable M/T car.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

From everything I've read, the autos make the WRX (a decently quick car from the factory) a bit of a slug.

The 02-05 WRXs all came with a catted uppipe that should be replaced ASAP if not already done.

My '02 WRX transmission has over 151k miles and still works great, aside from the to-be-expected noises of a transmission with that many miles.

These cars are notorious for pin-sized coolant leaks. If you smell coolant after its warmed up, either have the dealership replace the radiator, thermostat and hoses or demand $500 be taken off the price to pay for a new one with install. You should be able to get one for much less and do the work yourself since your are a mechanic.

If purchasing a manual transmission car, ask for any service records that document the clutch and timing belt/waterpump have been replaced. This can also be used as bargaining power.

I bought my '02 with 117,xxx miles on it and had to replace the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/throwout bearing before owning it for a year. Wish I would have leveraged that for a $500-1,000 price adjustment.

Good luck with whatever you get! They are great cars with tons of utility (my wagon does at least) and are fun to drive.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm heading down to LA tomorrow (hour and a half drive) to look at a black 02 5spd wagon. Very excited! Already looked at the carfax and it's had 2 owners with documented regular maintenance. Hope it checks out and drives as good as it sounds...

Thanks again. Hope to join the ranks of wrx owners soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Proper282 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm heading down to LA tomorrow (hour and a half drive) to look at a black 02 5spd wagon. Very excited! Already looked at the carfax and it's had 2 owners with documented regular maintenance. Hope it checks out and drives as good as it sounds...

Thanks again. Hope to join the ranks of wrx owners soon!
    +^ This

If you get this one, you could join the ranks of an even more elite group...The WRX Sport Wagon owners group. Haha.
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    more elite group would be the BUGEYE crew not the sport wagon...
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Good call. Or even the WORLD RALLY BLUE BUGEYE SPORT WAGON Crew...HAHA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.