Headlight problem

This is a discussion on Headlight problem within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I just drove my new 2011 limited in the dark for the first time and my regular headlights only ...

Headlight problem

Hello, I just drove my new 2011 limited in the dark for the first time and my regular headlights only lit up a little more than a car length ahead of me. I had to permanently drive with my brights on. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure it wasn't just the DRLs you were using? If not, have the dealer sort it out, it's not your problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you post a pic?Maybe your headlights are not aimed right?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Do you have the HIDs? They are possibly the worst headlights I've ever seen. My buddy's girlfriend has the HIDs and it makes me happy I bought the base model with Halogens.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I do have the hids....I found the dial to adjust the angle this morning...
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

He said he had the limited so he does have HIDs. There is an adjustment knob on the left mid-dash (by the interior dim knob) that will let you move the eyelid up a bit from the default setting and also much further downward. I don't know if the OP looked at that or not, but I get a bit more than a single car length (at least 3-4 lengths). On the lowest setting it probably is 1 car length.

Beyond that, he better just get used to it. That's just how they are with that eyelid thing designed to prevent blinding other drivers. Well, it also prevents the lights from lighting up the road in front of you past a certain point. It just cuts off like a laser and it's blackness beyond. What good does it do to have brighter bulbs if you can't see as far as a regular bulb? I suppose it works better for where the yellow lines are worn and it lights them up better close to the car (on my '04 WRX, my fog lights could do that; the fogs on the '11 might as well not even be there they're so dim).

I drove all the way home on wooded back roads the other night with my brights on the entire time (no traffic). Night and day difference for avoiding deer and seeing the curves up ahead, etc. I rarely felt the need to drive with my brights on with the '04 WRX with regular Halogens. I think they need something better than just an eyelid for HIDs, more like a diffuser at the eyelid so it's simply less bright up that line, rather than just blocked entirely.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Well glad I'm not the only one shaking his head over the lights on this thing, the fog lights especially. You would have to get out of the car to see the fog lights, theres no way to tell they are on from inside, I guess my fog lights are for others to enjoy?
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    Well glad I'm not the only one shaking his head over the lights on this thing, the fog lights especially. You would have to get out of the car to see the fog lights, theres no way to tell they are on from inside, I guess my fog lights are for others to enjoy?
    The fog lights are aimed full down from the factory. Majority of the people don't know how to properly use them so I'm thinking Subaru purposely aimed them down to avoid people from blinding others. Fogs are only supposed to be used during heavy fog, rain, snow. If you'll be using your fogs properly then follow this instructions to properly aim them. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.