new member/owner has simple mods queston.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new member/owner has simple mods queston. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello everyone i just recently bought a 2008 WRX (my first subie and turbo). just like everything else i buy, ...

new member/owner has simple mods queston.

hello everyone
    i just recently bought a 2008 WRX (my first subie and turbo). just like everything else i buy, stock is not good enough. ive read up on the BPV and several other minor mods but im really at a loss on where to start. so i was wondering where is a good place to begin? i would like to see about 275-300 whp. id like to hear more BPV noise but its not that important. i like what i see from Perrin and would like some feedback from people who have used Perrin.
    id like to get an after MAF tube, BPV,turbo inlet hose, CAI, and Access port, cat or axle back exhaust. im not looking to get crazy with HP but would like a little more than stock. so what advice do you have for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    why aren't you thinking about downpipe?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

like i said im not sure where to start.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you've listed dyno #s as a goal, what dyno are you going to be using?

The downpipe is the biggest restriction, so replacing that with a freer-flowing unit (along with proper tuning) will yield the best gains as a first step.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Downpipe, 09 WRX turbo, cat back exhuast + a good tune would get you close to what you want. A good CAI will let you hear the stock BPV and the Perrin BPV sounds better than the stock valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd agree with everything sjcurtis just said, but I wouldn't spend money on the perrin bpv.

The turbo is called the vf52. Any catback exhaust that isn't an ebay brand, and same with downpipe. Intake.. search around and post what you'd like to purchase up... there are a lot of opinions on intakes... but with a turbo upgrade.. and intake isn't a bad idea.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ok thanks for the replies. So it looks like the first step is to let the car exhale better. So would I be wasting time and money by installing the access point first?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subiedoo77 View Post
    Ok thanks for the replies. So it looks like the first step is to let the car exhale better. So would I be wasting time and money by installing the access point first?
    No. But if you can find a local tuner that's a better option. Access Port is gonna limit the mods you can install because the OTS maps are only compatible with predetermined configurations of parts.

Gotcha! That's what I thought.

so im looking to do a VF52 upgrade, one piece down pipe, CBE, CAI, turbo inlet tube, BPV, boost control. is there anything else i should look at? this is just my starting point. none of this stuff will go on until next spring (and brought to a tuner shop to get it all dialed in). does any one want to take a stab at where they think my whp will be?

I would think you should be looking at 300whp.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subiedoo77
    so im looking to do a VF52 upgrade, one piece down pipe, CBE, CAI, turbo inlet tube, BPV, boost control. is there anything else i should look at? this is just my starting point. none of this stuff will go on until next spring (and brought to a tuner shop to get it all dialed in). does any one want to take a stab at where they think my whp will be?
    Depends on the dyno. If you're interested in chasing numbers, ask the person tuning your car, as they'll know their equipment/abilities best.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.