New to Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to Forums within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, my name is Drew and i'm currently in the process of finding either a 2011 wrx or sti. ...

New to Forums

Hey everyone, my name is Drew and i'm currently in the process of finding either a 2011 wrx or sti. I have yet to test drive an STI, but the WRX doesn't seem too shabby... I currently have an 08 cobalt ss with a plethora of things done to it. I feel it's time to jump ship, i've never owned anything other than GM cars (94 saturn sl2, 04 ion redline, 08 balt ss) (pics on request) I'm pretty sick of fwd cars; horrible launching, torque steer, inability to keep any kind of traction when it's wet, plus there's a great possibility I'm moving to Ohio soon.

I do have a couple questions though. From a performance standpoint, what are the limits of both cars without really digging into it? Do both models use the same suspension and gear box? What are some things I need to look out for? I know most of you are going to groan and say, "use the search button", which I have, sort of... Any and all advice will be thoroughly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrx has a 5spd . Sti has a 6spd.
    If you don't want to get into it to much just buy an accesport and flash stage 1 and enjoy. For a lil more just get the TBE and flash stage 2 . If your stuck on which one to buy I'd go with the Sti . I've had both a wrx and an Sti and I prefer the Sti . If your not looking for all the extra bells and whistles just go with the wrx. Both will outperform the cobalt any day. Good luck with the car hunt and welcome.

i'm not too keen on a canned tune, they're too generic imo. how does the 6spd handle driving thru the city? all that shifting could cause significantly less mpg's (which is almost irrelevant to me)

i'm not so sure on outperforming the cobalt... as previously stated, i have quite a bit done to mine, and have blown away a lot of sti's... not trying to bash (why would i? I'm buying a subaru)

what size snail does each car have? what psi does each car put out? what is max timing i can add, on how much psi?

I have a 08 Sti and am running a stage 2 pro tune..for fuel milage in stop and go I'm averaging 19mpg but on long drives 27mpg.

I have driven a stage 2 Wrx not a bad car at all but in all honesty I prefer my Sti. More power, strong transmission (+ the dccd) I'd you don't mind spending the extra 7grand go with the Sti. If not the Wrx is still a great choice.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

Depending on the year of the wrx they range from the td04 - vf52(correct me if wrong on that ). The stis 04-06have the vf39 . 07 got the vf43 and I can't really comment on 08+ . In assuming there running vf43's aswell . I dnt mind the 6spd in the city. That's all I drive around in . The wrx will get better mpg's obviously but if u get the Sti protuned , you will probably see similar mpg's to the wrx and still put out 300whp(with supporting mods ,ie:TBE . The cobalt may have been great but from a stock vehicle comparison u can't touch the Sti.(not bashing u either but awd is so much better then fwd) Go with the Sti .You won't be disappointed . If the sti is to pricey , The wrx can make the same power with proper mods , but won't have the 6spd , dccd and suspension. The newer WRX's are putting out quite a bit more power nowadays aswell. Drive them both . That will help you decide .

Quote Originally Posted by v6mx6ls36 View Post
    Depending on the year of the wrx they range from the td04 - vf52(correct me if wrong on that ). The stis 04-06have the vf39 . 07 got the vf43 and I can't really comment on 08+ . In assuming there running vf43's aswell . I dnt mind the 6spd in the city. That's all I drive around in . The wrx will get better mpg's obviously but if u get the Sti protuned , you will probably see similar mpg's to the wrx and still put out 300whp(with supporting mods ,ie:TBE . The cobalt may have been great but from a stock vehicle comparison u can't touch the Sti.(not bashing u either but awd is so much better then fwd) Go with the Sti .You won't be disappointed . If the sti is to pricey , The wrx can make the same power with proper mods , but won't have the 6spd , dccd and suspension. The newer WRX's are putting out quite a bit more power nowadays aswell. Drive them both . That will help you decide .
    I believe the 08 sti came with the vf48. As for protune on a somewhat conservative map i put down 286 at the wheel's Im sure i could get more if we had 93 octane but im still happy.

as for gm there ecotec engines are pretty bad ass, my buddy had a ion redline and its all I heard about I think stock some people where looking at 500hp with no problem's. Like you though Redline he got sick and tired of no traction, he got himself a wrx that already was running stage 2 and he couldnt be happier. Well of course he wants more power but who doesn't
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

i'm def. leaning more towards the STI, but I can't see spending 7k more if it's unjustified...

what seems to be the biggest hang up on these cars? ie; cooling, turbo running out of breath, restricted exhaust, etc.
    from what i gather dccd is LSD but transfers tq between the wheels to equalize?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline730 View Post
    i'm def. leaning more towards the STI, but I can't see spending 7k more if it's unjustified...

what seems to be the biggest hang up on these cars? ie; cooling, turbo running out of breath, restricted exhaust, etc.
    from what i gather dccd is LSD but transfers tq between the wheels to equalize?
    I really couldnt tell you what the biggest hang up is with the car minus the drivetrain loss in the awd setup. Hell stock airbox seem's to run much better then cai. I woulda kept running my a stock airbox but previous owner put a Aem Cai on the car.

Im sure more of the enlightened members here could provide more info.

As for the dccd, the center diff puts more power to the front or rear axles(btw im horrible at explaing my thoughts) but yes instead of 50/50 you can do something like 60/40 or vice versa. The newer sti 08+ im not sure about the 07 also have a mode where you can just have the computer decide where to put the power to the wheel's. like in Auto the computer kinda learns as your going and adpats to the road condition's, while in auto - it is more for dry roads while auto + is for slick roads.

You can also put the dccd in manual mode as well, though I havent messed around with it much cause I really dont want to blow something up.

I know 7grand is quite a bit but your also getting a better suspension set up then the Wrx's. all up to you though and you will be hap[py with eitehr choice I can to tell you that with confidence.
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

The biggest hang up I think would be the turbo. With a simple turbo upgrade like an evo 16g you can put out nearly 320whp . With supporting mods of course . Go with the Sti . Take it from someone who has had both . You won't be disappointed

what size turbo is it running stock?

my cobalt has a k04, i'm boosting 22ish spiking 25

I think the 11's are running the vf48's as well. just looked it up on Naosic.

I am 19.2 pounds on full boost on my 48 and if I remeber correctly the stock vf48 starts losing effeincey(sp) at around 20psi. Once again I could be wrong since I was only doing research on the 08 sti, but they may have changed some things around for the 11 on the vf48 but if it is like the 08 then 20psi is where it starts losing effeincy (sp)
    Last edited by BoostedBob; 08-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

all things considered, i think i'm going w/ the sti. it'll def be when i get out of the army though (which is next month)

any key options i should get?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Forum

I actually run ecotecforum.com so I'm familiar with the ION Redline (Username NJHK).
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

oooh ****!!!! cool... i'm not on ecotecforum, but i'm on redlineforurms, gmsportcompact, and ss.net

oh, my name is hawaiian wh*re on the other forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast