to flash or not to flash
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on to flash or not to flash within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; O.k I 'am ready to set up my Cobb AP on my 09 WRX! I only have 26,000 miles on ...

to flash or not to flash

O.k I 'am ready to set up my Cobb AP on my 09 WRX! I only have 26,000 miles on it so I will be bringing it in to the dealer for oil changes etc. Everything else is stock for now, so should I even worry about flash'n back to stock for that? I going with stage 1 93 map and i 'am going to see how I like it. I would think the dealer would not know unless they hook it up to something or if something went bad on the car. Any input would be great! Mine is the 09 with the 08/08 build date so I 'am kind of nervous about this mod thing. ************* thanks D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    It's a good question - and one I hope gets some responses since I was getting ready to ask the same thing in prep for my first oil change since my Stage I flash.

In your varied experiences, when have you flashed back to stock for dealership visits? Have you flashed to the "stock" map or uninstalled?
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I personally wouldn't worry about it. My dealership didn't care that there was a different block, turbo, UTEC, etc on my car. Of course my dealership at the time sold Access Ports and other Cobb stuff.

AFIK, the only way they would even know would be if they tried to hook up an AP to it themselves.

with just a stage 1, i wouldn't worry about it.

after all, you're just getting an oil change.

but just know, that if they can prove you flashed it, and your engine goes (which it might), they can deny your warranty claim.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're worried about a warranty, don't modify your car.

Leave the car stock or flash it and be honest with them. Fraud isn't cool...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you're worried about a warranty, don't modify your car.
    Really? That old tired refrain again?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Leave the car stock or flash it and be honest with them. Fraud isn't cool...
    That sounds great in a world where everyone deals with each other fairly - including the way dealerships deal with customers - but in the real world dealerships/companies are just as likely to be looking for excuses to deny claims as they are to be flexible. There are plenty of stories of denied warranty claims based on things that clearly were not related to the mods. That's not to say that there aren't times that they are correct - probably the majority of the time - but that doesn't mean an owner who has made a mod doesn't have the right to protect them self a bit from unscrupulous actions. Me - I'll own up to it when it actually could be related to a mod I've done - I want to have things fixed properly and fully weighed the risks of mod warranty issues - but I'm not about to give anyone an easy place to point the finger.

In both the OPs case and mine we are just talking about a mild OTS Stage 1 tune - so warranty issues are very unlikely. Stage 2 or edgier pro-tunes are another step up on the risk meter, and so on.

I would still like to hear from members about when they make changes for dealer visits and whether they change the tune or uninstall - sorry if I am taking this thread further off topic.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Every time you flash the ECU it is recorded. As far as I know an AP can't change this.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I agree with you BigDaddy, If I did not have the build date of 08/08 on my 09' suspected lot of bad engine failers I wouldn't even blink at it and jump right in the the mod world. I just hope Subaru stands benind a known problem if it happens, Stage one is on the way!! I 'am not going to flash back for any reason but I still like to hear more on this one. ************* thanks D

I Support ClubWRX
    Do your own oil changes ?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Do your own oil changes ?
    ^this
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

G you guys got it all figured out!! Why didn't I think of doing my own oil changes********* come on

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    G you guys got it all figured out!! Why didn't I think of doing my own oil changes********* come on
    Any input would be great!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, but like stated above, if you are so worried about it, then I wouldn't mod the car in the first place, just my $.02, that being said all I have is an exhaust due to the fact my dealer is a bunch of d-bags and until I find a cool service department I won't be doing stage 1 or higher for a while.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

The dealership can find out if it's flashed. If you're that worried about it, don't do it.

Oil changes aren't scary.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex
    Really? That old tired refrain again?

That sounds great in a world where everyone deals with each other fairly - including the way dealerships deal with customers - but in the real world dealerships/companies are just as likely to be looking for excuses to deny claims as they are to be flexible. There are plenty of stories of denied warranty claims based on things that clearly were not related to the mods. That's not to say that there aren't times that they are correct - probably the majority of the time - but that doesn't mean an owner who has made a mod doesn't have the right to protect them self a bit from unscrupulous actions. Me - I'll own up to it when it actually could be related to a mod I've done - I want to have things fixed properly and fully weighed the risks of mod warranty issues - but I'm not about to give anyone an easy place to point the finger.

In both the OPs case and mine we are just talking about a mild OTS Stage 1 tune - so warranty issues are very unlikely. Stage 2 or edgier pro-tunes are another step up on the risk meter, and so on.

I would still like to hear from members about when they make changes for dealer visits and whether they change the tune or uninstall - sorry if I am taking this thread further off topic.
    Every dealership is different, and some claims are out of their hands (like a motor claim, which is up to the regional rep). Talk to the service department or local guys.

There's a lenient dealership by me that does warranty work on modified cars, as long as its in-house; they get paid regardless.

They also have the ability to "good will" portions or entire repairs. If you try to slip one by, however, how likely will the service manager be to throw you one?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.