Why de-badge? Theft and damage involved, advice please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why de-badge? Theft and damage involved, advice please! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, new member here. I have a red 2009 WRX wagon. Purchased brand new. I have done everything possible ...

Why de-badge? Theft and damage involved, advice please!

Hi everyone, new member here. I have a red 2009 WRX wagon. Purchased brand new. I have done everything possible to keep it as clean and stock as I can because I personally find value in a nice car that is not modified... that being said, I do appreciate certain mods. Anyway, some punk kids stole the WRX badge off the trunk a couple nights ago. It appears they used a screw driver and chipped the paint pretty bad.

Insurance company came out and made an estimate of $730 to relace a couple panels and repaint. I'm worried that if I replace the badge, it will get stolen again! So my question is, why do you de-badge on purpose (besides avoiding theft) and does it devalue the car at all? I'm concerned with maintaining the highest possible value of the car.

If I keep the badge off and clean up the left over adhesive, I would just need to touch-up paint the chips they made and I think it would look okay. Thoughts, advice? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Must have been pretty desperate thieves.Are you talking about the Subaru badge or the "WRX" badge?So the insurance wants you to replace the trunk?

I'd just get touch up paint & clean everything up if the damage is no too bad.I debadged the car except for the "WRX".I don't think your badge has anything to do with the value of the car.

Can you post a pic of the damage?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'll try to get a pic posted today. Yeah they just took the WRX badge. I suspect a local kid who has an Impreza sport, but drives it like he wishes it was a WRX. I have a general idea of where he lives and I plan on seeing if his car suddenly became a "WRX."

The only reason I took the badges off my car is that I don't like the idea of big chrome badges on a car that is all dark gray. I can't imagine it changing the value of the car, it's still the same car, and you can always put them back on.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywould09WRX View Post
    So my question is, why do you de-badge on purpose (besides avoiding theft) and does it devalue the car at all? I'm concerned with maintaining the highest possible value of the car.
    Debadging is really just a matter of personal preference. Some owners like the clean look of a debadged back end, some like the added mystery (other drivers not sure what they are up against), etc. I have a 2011 and left everything on the back except for the IMPREZA lettering - left the right side with just the WRX lettering. I've never heard of anyone removing them to avoid theft. As far as value ... a dealer would never care at trade-in, so the only time it could matter would be if you sold it privately later. There may be some buyers who would miss it - of course there would be others who might like it that way.

I agree with rage-wrx - clean off the adhesive and fix the chips ... unless you like the badging, then fix it.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    I'd have you company replace the badge and just keep it off the car then the next owner can put it on if they chose I've also found that a shotgun in the rear windows a great theft deterent

Here's a pic. I know I know, needs a wash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1077.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Doesn't look too bad IMO.Just clean up the glue with some warm water or if it is too stubborn use goo-gone. And touch up.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Just remember - if you do choose to leave it off, take off the Impreza lettering on the back as well unless you just want to confuse the heck out of people.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Doesn't look too bad IMO.Just clean up the glue with some warm water or if it is too stubborn use goo-gone. And touch up.
    I concur.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Maybe it is hard to see, but it only looks like some minor scratching. I don't see any dents, however, it is a small picture so you tell me. I would just get some get goo be gone and remove the remaining double sided tape from where the logo was and touch up the paint. I'd also remove all badging (personal pref). Also I dunno what your deductible is but if it is even $250 I think it would cost less to fix yourself and skip insurance claim. Definitely doesn't look like $750 damage though, not even close.

I removed the badges because of it being the only chrome on the car really and it cleans it up nice. $750 seems high, touch up paint would be 20 bucks and no claim on the INS, good luck
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Like Tony, I debadged for a cleaner look. If I were to buy a WRX, I might knock the $ down $50 for the missing WRX. But really, it doesn't matter. I concur with the masses. Clean it up, touch it up, and remove the Impreza badge at a minimum.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This thread is meh. Debadging is just a preference. Why someone would bother stealing your WRX bad makes no sense at all.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    This thread is meh. Debadging is just a preference. Why someone would bother stealing your WRX badge makes no sense at all.
    Fixed
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast