clutch doesn't feel right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on clutch doesn't feel right within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2011 wrx. Has about 3200 miles on it. Clutch has been fine until this morning. I was ...

Question clutch doesn't feel right

I have a 2011 wrx. Has about 3200 miles on it.

Clutch has been fine until this morning. I was driving to work and all was well. I stopped at a street light, light turned green, and as I let the clutch out I feel this vibrating feeling. I pulled into my work parking lot and I still feel it. I parked and went inside.

Just a few minutes ago I went out to the car, started it up, press in the clutch slowly and I feel like it's rubbing or chopping or like vibrating (but it's not vibrating). Not sure how to explain it, but it feels like there are notches or something as you push it in. If you push it in fast, feels completely smooth. Push it in slow and I feel the rubbing or a notchy feeling.

I'm had manuals for 20 years and never felt anything like this. Clutch seems to work fine, it just feels like it's rubbing and it's annoying.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's under warranty...take it in
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    It's under warranty...take it in
    This ^

No reason you should even really worry about it. If you feel like it's wrong, take it in.

Don't let the dealership pull the "that's how it's supposed to be" on you though, if it feels wrong, have them check it out.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Ya I'll take it in, but the dealer is an hour away from me (one way), so I can't just pop in real quick. Was hoping someone knew what was going on before I make the journey to the dealer.
    (plus I'm waiting for the hardware they forgot to order for the STI wing I ordered, so trying not to make extra trips)

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

that your closest Subi dealer to you? or the one you bought your car from?

I think your tranny is going..... I'd sell it fast! lol j/k I have about 2500 miles on mine and no issues like that. But seriously take it to a dealer for sure.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    that your closest Subi dealer to you? or the one you bought your car from?
    I think your tranny is going..... I'd sell it fast! lol j/k I have about 2500 miles on mine and no issues like that. But seriously take it to a dealer for sure.
    That's the dealer I bought it from. There is a closer dealer, but they constantly get bad reviews so not sure if I want to go there. I live in the country, in the middle of nowhere, so every thing is far from me, lol. Going to call them later today. Thanks.

IMO distance shouldn't be an issue, go to the dealership that you know is better.

I wouldn't go somewhere crappier just because it's closer. If the one you bought it from is better, then stay there.

Just my $.02

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    IMO distance shouldn't be an issue, go to the dealership that you know is better.
    I wouldn't go somewhere crappier just because it's closer. If the one you bought it from is better, then stay there.
    Just my $.02
    Ya, I'm going to go to the dealer I bought it from (not the closer one). They claim to be the #2 subaru dealer in the country. The buying experience was nice, but can't comment on the service dept yet, haven't had much dealings with them yet.

I checked it out again and had a friend check it out. It only does it when the engine is running and now the more I do it, it feels like something is vibrating. At first I wasn't sure, but definitely feels like something is vibrating and I feel it through the clutch pedal.

What I'm concerned about now is that if this is a problem, this will be the second thing in the first 3 months of having the car. First was the blinker bulb issue that many others are having. I fixed that myself, new bulbs and routed the wires better. Now this. I usually get a new car every 3 years or so and my last 2 cars, a toyota, and a mitsubishi, had zero probs for the three years I had each car. Sure these probs may be minor, but it's the point of having any issue when the car is brand new. I'll take it in and see what they say.

Yea I've had a PITA problem with my car that the dealership can't fix too, it's really starting to aggravate me actually, but that's OT.

Funny enough the place I bring mine to has a horrid sales dept, they were very rude (to put it lightly) to me when I went in there to purchase, but their service dept is awesome! The guys there are really good (except for not being able to diagnose my car). Weird how that works.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you are not alone with a clutch issue on a 2011.There have been many others who have had similar issues.There have been many instances when SOA has blamed drivers for the defective clutches.And in some cases denied the clutch warranty,making owners pay to replace the clutch & in some cases dealers have demanded money just to put the car back together if warranty is denied.

I see a class action suit coming in the future.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yup, I've seen too many threads like that on various forums.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always had best luck with mechanics when I go in and nicely (key word there) tell them my diagnosis. The art form is keeping it nice and making a firm suggestion.

Instead of.. "Fix my car", I use "Can you just check my plug wires and replace my spark plugs?".

That being said, I still have no idea what's wrong with it =(. I haven't had any problems on my 2011 like you have described with the clutch. I did have the crazy blinker, however. I gotta take it in to get the fuel door spring fixed, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Hmm, not good news hearing others have had issues too. The clutch seems to work just fine, no slipping, or anything, just vibrates. This is my first subaru, doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the brand. I'll just bring it in, be nice and courteous, and see what they say.
    But... if it is a serious issue and they won't cover it under warranty, I'll just give the car back to the dealer, walk away, and buy something else. There is no way I'm paying for any major repairs on a brand new car.

Amen. ^

I would seriously flip the .....youknowwhat.... out if a dealership tried telling me that I had to pay for a clutch on a car with ~3.5k miles on it.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

So on my way home the problem was intermittent. And when I pulled into my garage and tested, the vibration seems to be gone. IDK, whats going on, but I did do some searching and I see on this and other forums that others are reporting the same problem. Some say new throw out bearings fixed it, for some it was never resolved. So I decided to call the dealer and see what they say.

I first said, ok I'm sure you guys have heard of this problem since it seems to be all over the internet, and then I explained the problem. And of course in true dealer fashion, the tech said he had never heard of this problem. Go figure. I've been driving since I was 17 and every time I've dealt with a dealer on a problem they ALWAYS say: I've never heard of that before. Funny how they have never heard of any problems with new cars.

But anyway, now they tell me they won't install the STI wing I ordered thru them, even though they first said they would/could, but since there is no template, now they won't. So if I decide to pick up the parts and pay pay for them they said they will look at the clutch at that time. Still not sure if I want to pick up and pay for the wing now or not. They got it painted and every thing. I should just make them eat it. But they said they would look at the clutch, I'll see if the problem comes back over the next few days and decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast