Got some new guy questions...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Got some new guy questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, Quick history, I went from an 07 lightly modded GTI to an 09 MS3 and now after 3 ...

Got some new guy questions...

Hi all,

Quick history, I went from an 07 lightly modded GTI to an 09 MS3 and now after 3 crappy winters in FWD turbo cars, I've decided to pull the trigger and go for a 2011 WRX or STI.

While the STI comes with some extra stuff (bigger brakes, bigger IC, 6 gears..etc) I would like to go after the WRX since my finance wants to lease a car (if I get one, she wants a new car too..whatever I love her) Anyways, my concern is that the WRX from what I've heard/read has some transmission issues with upgraded power. If I got the WRX I would be looking to do the typical modding I'm use to doing which consists of stage 1, intake, BV, catch can, motor mounts, exhaust, intercooler, give or take. What concerns are there with a set-up like this? if any? With this set-up would getting an STI make more sense and not modding? Thanks so much for the help! Any other insight for a potential WRX/STI owner you have would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MMM-BACONSTRIPS View Post
    What concerns are there with a set-up like this?
    The gearbox is said to be improved. I don't know if it is. I don't know anyone that does either. The parts you listed are not all typical of what Impreza owners instal, but in general you would not be alone if having an entry-level modded car.

With this set-up would getting an STI make more sense and not modding?
    In my view not modding makes sense with almost any setup. Subaru is much better at making Subarus, and with the STi car you are getting better dynamics and a better gearbox. Your suggested mods are not unreasonable but they won't improve longevity. Whether they will affect it at all depends on how severe you are with the car, how well they are implemented, and luck. The only way to be sure is in retrospect.

Any other insight for a potential WRX/STI owner you have would be much appreciated!
    Keep the shiny side up.

See what you think of the 2012 at this point. The 11s are probably done.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Oh yeah, I understand that modding,however involved or light in nature, will affect the longevity of the engine. I've just heard that the transmission really doesn't like added power on the WRX's. With that said, I'm not sure how a WRX would handle a stage 1 tune, if I would run into a issue. I guess I'm still stuck in the VW mindset where in order to make it move, I had to do stupid amounts of work to do so. I'm new to the Subaru scene so I really don't know how chip tuning and modding goes, if what I've mentioned is move involved, clearly I need to do more research. I guess really the question is, with what I'm looking at doing is it worth going for the WRX or just moving up to an STI and doing nothing? Thanks for the help! I hope to be in a Subaru either way, I've heard nothing but awesome things and have been envious soo many times when I see wrx's and stis and soo happy I get the opportunity to finally own one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Almost everyone on here that owns a WRX and has ended up modifying it has wished they would have started with the STi.

You need to decide what your goal is. If you want to have a very streetable comfortable daily driver that is fun to get on once in a while, then the WRX should be more than enough. If you are more focused on handling, braking, speed, and all around performance... then the STi is your best choice.
    Last edited by Sinister; 08-14-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMM-BACONSTRIPS View Post
    I'm not sure how a WRX would handle a stage 1 tune, if I would run into a issue.
    Stage 1 (no engine mods, just a tune - AP or Protune) adds a nice bit of power to the 2011s, but more than anything it really just smooths things out. It is not a change that should significantly reduce reliability or longevity. The further the mod bug takes you, of course, the more things are affected, but Stage 1 is generally considered a safe start. (It can impact warranties, depending on different factors).
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I wouldnt be too concerned about the ware on the tranny till your doing turbo swaps as far as modding is concerned... The biggest adverse effect that causes tranny damage is driving habit, meaning avoid launching and tearing in and out of gears and you'll be fine...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.