new 2002 wrx owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new 2002 wrx owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys i purchased my first wrx about a week ago. Its a 2002. Well only 2 days after buying ...

new 2002 wrx owner

hey guys i purchased my first wrx about a week ago. Its a 2002. Well only 2 days after buying the car I broke a Connecting rod. I am wondering what is the cause of this?

Also it has 84 k miles on it I'm having the timing belt replaced . What other scheduled ma intenance should I have done while im at it?

I live in socal but usually drive to hotter locations palmdale mojave. Nevada. What kind of oil should I be using?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Conrod could be due to luck, abuse, or bad maintenance. At 90 K the motor should be considered young.

Do timing belt, water pump, thermostat, all rollers, tensioner, cam and crank seals, all fluids, all filters. If you cannot document a 60K service then do the plugs prematurely (normally 60k, 120K). Clean MAF. Check pad friction surfaces. Rotate wheels.

You can run a quality synthetic 5W-40 almost anywhere inhabited by humans globally year-round. I do this to keep life simple. Look at M1 Turbodiesel Truck and Shell Rotella T6.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

about How much do you think all that would cost me? I'm already dropping 5k on the engine rebuild. Plus the 8k I just spent on the car :/

Also I am curios if the previous owner did anything to the car. Ie tried to tune t or sonething. I want my subi stock as possible at the moment. I'm not a mechanic lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smidge View Post
    about How much do you think all that would cost me? I'm already dropping 5k on the engine rebuild. Plus the 8k I just spent on the car :/
    Depending on the source of parts, $600 to $900 for parts plus labour.

Also I am curios if the previous owner did anything to the car.
    So am I.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

As far as I know everything under the hood is,stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Then it is really odd IMO to have a conrod fail.

Just got ahold of the previous owner and he said there were no mods on it and its all stock. Odd

So I'm gonna go have my mechanic replace that. Are the crank and cam seals already being replaced since I'm rebuilding thw engine.. and what tranny fluid and oil should I use being in socal

I Support ClubWRX
    Ask the builder what is being replaced. Use a 75W-90 GL5 as specified in the manual; I use regular Valvoline.

So what type of every fluid should Ireplace into my wrx when this is all done?

Also I talked to the mechanic today and he said he got the valve job rwdone and the heads back. he said there was minor surface cracks in the heads where the spark plugs screw in. He also said he talked to4 machine shops and none say it will ve a problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you asking about gear oil? A 75W-90 GL5 is specified for the 5spd. I and my dealer both use regular Valvoline.

I was wondering about all of them. Over on nasioc they are telling me no synthetic for break in. My friend swears I should use royal purple and they also say I shouldn't. what are your guys opinions on this? Where could I get a nice new set of heads for a good price Preferably not used.
    Last edited by smidge; 08-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.

any input guys?

I Support ClubWRX
    any input guys?
    I will tell you something that may initially sound vacuous but in fact in my view is more substantive than a lot of responses that will simply say "this oil rules, yO!" Here it is: follow the manufacturer's specifications for an oil. Find something that is locally available and reasonably priced, and that has given good or better used oil analysis data in a motor similar to yours.

Go ahead and use something regular and quality like GTX say for break in; people feel more comfortable doing this.

After break-in: For me, oils that fit the criteria above have been M1 0W-40 "European Formula," M1 5W-40 "TurboDiesel Truck" and Shell Rotella T6 "Diesel/Fleet." Given in order of preference and decreasing order of cost.

I use Valvoline 75W-90 GL5 gear oil in the gearbox and rear diff.

I use Castrol DOT4 brake fluid. You can use ATE if you can find it locally (I cannot so I gave up; life is short).

I use authentic Subaru steering fluid.

None of this is dogma; see for yourself what you like. There are plenty of ways to get actual data on a product rather than opinions or marketing; look at Bob Is the Oil Guy for example. Happy shopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast