o2 Sensor on an 02 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on o2 Sensor on an 02 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay so i wasnt sure where to post this so i figured this might be my best bet. Heres the ...

o2 Sensor on an 02 WRX

Okay so i wasnt sure where to post this so i figured this might be my best bet.

Heres the issue:

I was driving home from my girlfriends the other night and all of a sudden my CEL came on. So the next morning i went to get it checked and he said that my 2nd o2 sensor was coming up lean. He said i could possibly be plugged. Another thing that may be worth noting is that a few days before the hose that leads from my turbo to the underside of my intercooler popped off when i shifted at a high RPM.(mostly cause the clamp was loose)

So my question:

Can anyone tell me how to take an o2 sensor out and where my 2nd one is located so i dont destroy my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no indication you have a problem with the O2 sensor. What code # are you troubleshooting?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

They didnt givr me the code. Just told me that it said my o2 sensor was saying the car was running lean

Okay so today i pulled my intercooler off and looked at the Y shaped hose under the intercooler that connects to the turbo (when i first got the car i took it out and didnt shift until 4500 RPMs and that hose popped off). When i took it off i noticed the underside of the hose was bent up into the inside of the hose. There was a gap between the hose and where it connects to the turbo. Would this be causing my CEL to be on? I put it back on correctly and the CEL is still on. Would i need to disconnect the battery to clear it?

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes you need to clear the code. I dont think pulling the battery works in our cars, that is the old way of doing it.

Go to your local auto parts store (advance auto parts, oreily, etc) and they will let you use a obd II reader for free to clear the code
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Okay thanks again man. Your helpin on both of my posts hahaha

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jfor48 View Post
    Okay so today i pulled my intercooler off and looked at the Y shaped hose under the intercooler that connects to the turbo (when i first got the car i took it out and didnt shift until 4500 RPMs and that hose popped off). When i took it off i noticed the underside of the hose was bent up into the inside of the hose. There was a gap between the hose and where it connects to the turbo. Would this be causing my CEL to be on? I put it back on correctly and the CEL is still on. Would i need to disconnect the battery to clear it?
    Yes that would cause a PO171. Fix the leak and you can reset the ECU by pulling the battery terminal.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Can you clear the code from pulling the terminal? Or just reset the ECU?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Can you clear the code from pulling the terminal? Or just reset the ECU?
    Pulling the terminal, especially followed by pressing the brake, will clear it. Sensors may report "not ready" until their cycling completes but no CEL will remain. If the error persists the CEL will reappear of course.

Thank you guys i appreciate the help

the second o2 sensor should be on the downpipe and use a o2 sensor socket or a cresent wrench to remove it
    Biohazard

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.