Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My current daily driver is a 2010 BMW 335i Coupe. I LOVE this car, but it's not very practical and ...

Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI

My current daily driver is a 2010 BMW 335i Coupe. I LOVE this car, but it's not very practical and seeing as I now have a house, I need something with more space. All the SUVs/Crossovers out there are plain boring or overpriced for what I want in a second car (I'm keeping the BMW). I've started looking at 5 door WRX's. My local dealers are all out of the WRX 5Door and a few have new STI's but frankly, I don't need the STI. A WRX is good enough for me performance wise. I found a 2008 White STI with 40K miles on it. It has BBS wheels as well. Dealer wants $29 for it which is about the same as a new WRX. It is however white, which is the color I want.

That being said..any thoughts or suggestions? Any major differences between the 2008 and 2011 versions? I've always been a new car owner. I don't mind waiting if I have to for a WRX, but all my dealers said they are not in big supply so getting the color and trim I want is going to be tough.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djseto View Post
    but frankly, I don't need the STI.
    /thread
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Go for the wrx its nice
    Ilove my 11

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    /thread
    Definitely agree with Drews here. You know you don't need it, why spend the extra money on it.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    +eleventygazillion

You've identified that you don't need an STi. A new WRX will be everything you want since you can spec the options, color, etc.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I agree I don't need an STI but for roughly the same money, I can get a used STI or a new WRX..granted I'll have to wait for a WRX.

Comparing 2008 vs 2011 STIs..are they any differences?

Quote Originally Posted by djseto View Post
    Comparing 2008 vs 2011 STIs..are they any differences?
    I think they are nearly Identical, I don't know of any differences
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I think the 11's have a meaner front end.
    If you decide on a 08 sti I think the value will last longer than a Rex

I Support ClubWRX
    Between the 2008 & 2011 STI,exterior is different.Specs are the same 305 HP,torque 290 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I think they are nearly Identical, I don't know of any differences
    11's have better suspension, it was the whole big thing, besides the return of the sedan
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

you mentioned you thought you would pay around the same for a 2011 wrx as the 08 sti your looking at? maybe it depends on availability in your area but 29 sounds like alot. i got my '11 for 25,700 off the lot. maybe you can shop around a little more?

The 08 STI sold when I finally got around to looking at it. There are no WRX 5 doors in my area (Raleigh, NC). There is ONE 2011 STI in NC that I was able to test drive today. I really liked it. Having not driven the WRX, I have nothing to compare it to other than my 335i. Definitely two different cars (it's almost not fair to compare them). The dealer basically said sticker but came $1000 of MSRP of $37,434 (they also marked it up $995 because it's "rare"). The trade amount on my 335 was not what I wanted and I needed to think about it. I'm afraid now that I've driven the STI, I won't like the WRX. The price difference is tough because in one respect, I think it's a lot, but truth be told, the 8K doesn't really bother me financially either. Every dealer I've called has no idea when WRXs will come in..esp in 5 doors. Add the fact that my BMW needs new tires at almost $2000 a set and I almost feel like now is the time to just trade vs. putting new tires on only to trade in the next few months...

The Wrx is just as quick off the line as the Sti for a fraction of the price. The Sti has summer cool performance options compared to the Wrx; however, those features are for dirt track racing. I think you can save a lot of money if you get a Wrx and modify it to your needs
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have the money,don't mind the insurance rates or the price of the car,then you should get the STI.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Insurance rates are identical to my 335i now (well...$5 more).

How's the avg. tire wear on this car? It's the $2000 or so every year and a half on the BMW that I really don't like...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast