Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ugh..that's what I was afraid of......

Ugh..that's what I was afraid of...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The WRX is worth every penny! The STI power is not needed, just got my 2011 wrx 3 weeks ago. And I have got to say that it is my dream car!

The stereo was an issue on my drive home, I guess I didn't spend any time checking it out on the test drive. I've been satisfied with most OEM stereos, but this one really is horrible, CD's are about the only thing that sounds half decent on it. This car was a big change from a MINI Cooper S, the steering is lifeless, and the suspension is floaty, but AWD will be a plus in the winter. It kind of reminds me of my 04 GTO, this car is more a highway car, not really scalpel like the MINI. The MINI would never have its suspension upset, and watch out for puddles at higher speeds, I wasn't ready for how hard this car pulls when it hits one. It needs a stiffer more positive shifter, a heavier clutch, and less floaty suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    This car was a big change from a MINI Cooper S, the steering is lifeless, and the suspension is floaty, but AWD will be a plus in the winter. It kind of reminds me of my 04 GTO, this car is more a highway car, not really scalpel like the MINI. The MINI would never have its suspension upset, and watch out for puddles at higher speeds, I wasn't ready for how hard this car pulls when it hits one. It needs a stiffer more positive shifter, a heavier clutch, and less floaty suspension.
    This is the problem with building a car for the masses, sometimes you have to comprimise. Luckily all of those complaints are easily changed with with aftermarket parts
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Do people really want floaty suspensions, and rubbery shifters? lol

I Support ClubWRX
    The floating can be fixed as can the shifter.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I almost never change cars from stock, I just maintain them. So for now it will have to do, I just think its odd that the suspension is so floaty, the shifter isn't great, but I can live with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    I almost never change cars from stock, I just maintain them. So for now it will have to do, I just think its odd that the suspension is so floaty, the shifter isn't great, but I can live with it.
    That's what everybody says.Changing the bushings & putting in a short shifter is the difference between night & day.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    That's what everybody says.Changing the bushings & putting in a short shifter is the difference between night & day.
    I need to try it first, the dealer said if one came in with it on it, I could take it for a spin and decide. They quoted $420 installed this morning to me....seems like a lot for just a shifter, plus I forgot to mention the bushings, which is what, $20? I see only one bushing showing online, is there two?

Is there an aftermarket short shifter? I see the dealer has one for like $300 or so. The premium system in my BMW is pretty damn good. I'm a bit of an audio snob, but it has done it's job given its pretty much impossible to replace it in that car. It sounds like even with aftermarket speakers and an amp, the system will still sound crappy? Anyone know if the head unit with Nav sounds any better?

I didn't find the suspension too soft compared to my BMW, but I agree the steering is a bit light. BMW's were always known for their feedback at the wheel. I wouldn't expect this car to handle like a MINI, but as it was said earlier, it's a compromise.

I thought they made changes to the bushings in 2011..or is that just for the STI?

I Support ClubWRX
    There is the SPT short shifter offered by the dealer.I think it costs about $300,but it includes the linkages.

The oem bushings on the 2011s are still the same.

Most owners go aftermarket.There are a couple of brands but the most popular is TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set

If you look in the thread in my sig,you will find the install instructions.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Kartboy STS way cheaper than the subi one.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.