Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need some advice for or against a 2011 WRX (new) or 2008 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What

,000 tires are you putting on the Bimmer (out of curiosity) I've had a BMW and I have a ...

What $2,000 tires are you putting on the Bimmer (out of curiosity) I've had a BMW and I have a good friend with a 335i and I know neither of us would ever have considered $2000 tires...Where are you getting that from?

Personally I think the WRX would be a better decision for someone who won't be tracking the car frequently. On the other side, if you can't find one then you're s.o.l....so if you can afford it and not have to worry about it or wait to find one, maybe the STi is a better choice for you.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My 335 has the sport package (staggered width tires). It also has run flats. I know I don't need to put run flats but i also don't have a spare. He oem bridgestones are $1600 and change installed. The Michelin pilot ps2's are closer to $2000 but they last longer. It's the run flats that kill me. Prices were from tirerack and discount tire.

You can get around the run-flats, but you're kinda screwed if you get a flat somewhere unless you decide to keep a spare...

IMO I think it's ridiculous that BMW stopped giving people spares. So I understand why you'd want to stick with the stupid run-flats. Plus the fact that BMWs wear through tires like crazy.

I've been in and driven my friend's 335i plenty of times, and seriously I love my WRX so much more. I'm really glad that he has that car because I was seriously wanting one and after driving his I was disappointed.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer you for the 335 on a trade in? Just kind of curious, and my friend with the 335 has been looking to trade it in and he has gotten ridiculous offers like 21k. If you don't feel like posting it, you can always send me a PM

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Random question

what do you do for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by tke467 View Post
    what do you do for a living?
    Random response:

Your mom!
    (Sorry, I had to)

You referring to the OP?

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

they offered my $35K for my 2010 335i Coupe with 17.5K miles. Sticker on the car was $52K (this car has virtually every option).

I've been seriously spoiled by all the "creature comforts" in my BMW. From iDrive, to HD Radio, to AutoSensing Wipers, Directional HIDs, Auto High beams, etc. I know for the money, the STI is a performance car not a luxury car, but I do find BMW does a great job of melting the two together. With all due respect, the interior on the STI or WRX isn't much better than a Honda Civic and "technology" aside from the AWD system in Subaru's is years behind virtually every other car company. BUT, trying to find a car that has some space (5 door) that isn't an SUV has been pretty tough. The closest "sporty" handling SUV I've driven in the Audi Q5, but it's boring as hell. I do like the MazdaSpeed 3, but I really want AWD. I just think for $30-38K, a car in this price range should at least have a little nicer fit and finish on the inside...but I know..that's not the market or target demographic...

I understand they are two different types of rides, but having driven both, I'm not disappointed with either. I still feel that my 335 pulls harder than the STI. I know in 6th gear at 75-80mph, the BMW shows no lag and pulls hard for passing. The STI had some lag and I felt I had to shift to 5 to get it to really pass with power (granted I was on a short test drive). The twin turbo 6 on the 335 gets just as good, if not better gas mileage (I get 27 HWY and 19 city), than the turbo 4 in the WRX. On the flip side, the turbo 4 has almost as much HP and Tq as the twin turbo 6.

As for what I do, I'm a Sales Engineer for a global multi-billion dollar software company.

honestly...and I'm really not intending to "flame", so please don't take it that way, but I can't imagine a reason to own a nearly new 335 and a new/nearly new wrx/sti.

The 5 door WRX isn't going to give you a whole lot of utility for a new home (landscaping supplies, furniture, etc.), so why have another payment for a very similar car?

Every home needs a truck, man.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I'm getting rid of the 335. It's a lease because I was predominantly flying for work, so I rarely drove it. It was more of a pleasure/weekend ride. That has changed and now I'm driving a lot. I'll easily surpass my lease mileage and I have zero desire to own any german car given the minor, but frequent, issues I've had with the car (thank god for warranty coverage) and issues friends of mine have had with theirs (Audi's, VW, MB).

Don't worry, no offense was taken. I do love the 335, but for a car that I need to put mileage on and intend to run into the ground, it's not it. I'm trying to not have two cars, but I know getting utility and fun isn't realistic so I'm trying to find a happy medium. The WRX isn't bigger than the 335, but the hatchback makes putting large items in the car possible. The trunk on the 335 surprisingly deep, but the opening isn't optimal. I thought about just getting a used truck, but I don't need two vehicles. If I bought the BMW, it would be different, but since it's not mine to keep, I'm gonna have to replace it anyways so a used truck won't suffice if I wanted to keep one car. Still, I appreciate all the honest feedback.

So no opinions on tire life? I saw on Tirerack that tires can be had from $450-$1000+...but I'm betting that being able to rotate and being non run flat means they will go more than 17K miles...

I Support ClubWRX
    Where are you located?Most of us have dedicated snow tires,so that is 2 sets of tires.

I haven't heard anything about tire wear problems,but the stock tires are said to last about 20k miles.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'm in NC so I don't need snow tires. During the winter months, I make it to the Mtns and occasionally up to New England to visit family which is why it's nice to have AWD even if I don't have the best rubber for it. 20K miles on the stock isn't much better than the BMW but the prices are more reasonable and there are plenty of options.

I just got back from test driving a WRX. Another dealer had 2010 that just came in off of a trade so I test drove it. Surprisingly, I noticed very little different on the engine in terms of performance. Maybe I'd notice if I drove them back to back vs. a day a part. I'm kind of sad it wasn't a night and day difference.

Overall, I think I'd be happy with a WRX now that I've driven both. A different dealer called me and said they just got a 2011 White 5 Door WRX Premium with Nav. I may go take a look at it, although I have very little need for factory Nav. I've had them in all my cars and I've finally decided they aren't worth it...especially because Map updates are so expensive compared to stand alones. Too bad I can't trade Nav for HIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by djseto View Post
    My current daily driver is a 2010 BMW 335i Coupe. I LOVE this car, but it's not very practical and seeing as I now have a house, I need something with more space. All the SUVs/Crossovers out there are plain boring or overpriced for what I want in a second car (I'm keeping the BMW).
    Whoa sorry...I must've missed a post somewhere. My bad! I just read that and went with it.

I think you will love a WRX 5 door compared to a 335...as long as you're ok with giving up some luxury, because the rex is not a luxurious vehicle.

As far as tire wear goes, I had a 2011 WRX (satin white, just sold for a mileage vehicle) and with 13k miles on it, the stock Dunlops looked brand new. AWD is definitely going to spread the wear around a bit, and you don't have to worry about stupid runflats. I remember a highly recommended replacement all season tire on Tire Rack costing around 180 a tire (wanna say they were Contis, but I'm not sure off the top of my head)
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by djseto View Post
    I just got back from test driving a WRX. Another dealer had 2010 that just came in off of a trade so I test drove it. Surprisingly, I noticed very little different on the engine in terms of performance. Maybe I'd notice if I drove them back to back vs. a day a part. I'm kind of sad it wasn't a night and day difference.
    The drivetrain from 09-11 is identical on these cars. The only difference between 09/10 and 11 is that the 2011s have the widebody kit, wider wheel track, different stock wheels, stiffer suspension, and I believe the bluetooth system is exclusive to the 2011s.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    OP,keep in mind that it is impossible to drive the car in the snow with the stock summer tires.And when I say impossible,I mean it.No stopping power or traction whatsoever.So if you are planning to drive through NE snow I would get a set of maybe used winters which, if they don't come with wheels,you can always mount on cheap steelies.

The SWP is a great color.Otherwise if dealers are taking orders you can always order one according to your specifications,in which case you will have to be prepared to wait for a while.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The dealer close to me said they have a SWP Premium that will be here in September. I'm gonna check out the SWP Premium /w Nav at the other dealer this weekend and see how they do price wise and on my trade. For the right number, I'll take it. I just don't like paying for Nav if I plan to replace the head unit. I need to check out forums around electronics to see if replacing the head unit with new speakers and amps makes a big difference or of the sound quality of the stock head unit is just plain crap or equalized to compensate for cheap speakers. I need/want a flat signal output to an aftermarket amp.

The dealer I'm going to has a reputation for undercutting everybody else in this area though...which is good them..and maybe me.

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem with the stock head unit is that it plain sucks.If you are looking for quality sound you will have to get a new head unit.Or if you are looking for a flat signal output that you can send to an amp from the stock head unit you can try the JL Cleansweep.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.