truth about availability?

This is a discussion on truth about availability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. Check this out: I put a deposit down on a 2011 WRX 5-door. The dealer has none in ...

truth about availability?

Hey everyone. Check this out: I put a deposit down on a 2011 WRX 5-door. The dealer has none in stock--of course--and says he can maybe order one around August 11th, "depending on availability" and that it would be here in October (yikes!). So I called another Subaru dealer in a nearby state (I'm in St. Louis MO and the dealer I dealt with here says there are none in the mid-west). The out-of-state dealer I spoke with says; "yeah, there are none in the mid-west but we could just order you one and it'll be here in a month or so". I told him what my guy here said about ordering, waiting, availability; to which his response was shock--he basically said the dealer here in St. Louis was crazy or lying. Does any one know if a reputable Subaru dealer should be able to order/find a 2011 WRX 5-door right now? I know they're rare, it's late in the model year and there was a damn earthquake. So is it pointless to be trying to get one now? I would greatly appreciate any info, help, advice--anything. I'm flat-out going nuts trying to figure this all out. Thanks everyone--I'm stoked to be a new member.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!

Finding a new 2011 WRX is a really tall order at this point. Supplies of WRX's have been really tight for more than a year now. From what I've been reading the 2011's are sold out everywhere, and no more are coming.

The 2012 model year Impreza's should start arriving in late September or October. However there has not been any word on the WRX coming at that time.
    New York 2011: Subaru shows off 2012 Impreza with lighter figure, impressive fuel economy

And there have been rumors that the WRX and the Impreza parting splitting ways.
    Subaru to split WRX from rest of Impreza line, make it smaller

Don't give up hope, but you should do more digging. Call some other dealers in other states/regions to check availability.

EDIT:
    Just checked
    http://www.cars101.com/
    ETA: Outback, Legacy, Tribeca - late September; WRX, STI, Forester - late October-November; Impreza- late November-December
    Looks like the WRX and STI body style may carry over, and the base model Impreza will be coming later.

Double Edit:
    http://www.cars101.com/2012_subaru.html
    > WRX-STI
    2012s expected to arrive late October-November

Update 7/16: 2012s expected to arrive late October-November

No changes have been announced.
    It is hoped that any changes will be very minor since the 11s are such great cars. At this point, 11s continue to come in sporatically and there is no time frame for 12 deliveries.
    Minor changes could involve some feature changes, perhaps stereo, navigation systems, colors etc.
    > Separate model line- Since the 12 WRX and STI will remain the same while the rest of the Impreza line changes, it will be marketed as a separate model and not as an Impreza anymore.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 07-26-2011 at 04:02 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

I waited 3 months for delivery after I ordered back in September of 2010.The wait times have reportedly increased significantly due to the situation in Japan with supply after the earthquake.

I would not believe the dealer who said that he can get you a car in 1 month.What could happen is that you put down a deposit with a dealer & if they are competent enough, they could find a car for you from another dealer elsewhere in the country.But this is not a guarantee.Given the scarcity,other dealers might not have the car in stock.Also what could happen is someone backs out of their order & your dealer is quick enough to get the car for you.

Look around at the inventory of nearby dealers.Some even pay for airfare if you decide to do business with a dealer far away.

If you order,you can get the car you want ,in the color you are looking for & maybe at a better price.There is less room for price bargaining with cars that are already on the lot.

In any case when you put down a deposit,don't put down too much & make sure of all conditions for refund if you back out.And more importantly ,be patient.This is frustrating ,but it will take a while.

Also you will have little to no news until your car gets to port.

Good luck.

Check out 2011 Order Updates? for purchase experiences.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Hey thanks for the response and warm welcome! I've heard similar stuff--but I also have dealers saying that they CAN get them, but those dealers are too far, I have to buy locally. I don't suppose you know of any way to get an answer "from the horses mouth" as far as availability? Where did you hear that they were sold out and no more were coming? Man, I just read pre-earthquake posts about waiting forever, now I'm even more worried! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again, it's great to be here.

that subiekill thing is hysterical

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by heavision View Post
    that subiekill thing is hysterical
    It's an adaptation of Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."- from the movie Pulp Fiction.

And there is no Ezekiel 25:17.It's just fiction.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I found one that was in Transit and jumped on it. Took about a month from deposit to pickup. I bought my car from heuberger motors in Colorado Springs they are the largest Subaru Dealer and seem to have the most inventory.
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

I just picked up a 2011 WRX SWP 5 Door here in Scottsdale, AZ this past weekend. It had been on the lot 2 days before i got it. The dealerships arent and cant order any more. I talked with Subaru of America and they were hoping to order 2012s in mid July but further talking with dealers seems like 2012s can be ordered in Jan and Feb of 2012.

I found my 5 door by luck and have been looking for a long time. So keep searching, they are slowly trickling in as Subaru fulfills the orders the dealers originally put in.

Quote Originally Posted by rgold01 View Post
    I found one that was in Transit and jumped on it. Took about a month from deposit to pickup. I bought my car from heuberger motors in Colorado Springs they are the largest Subaru Dealer and seem to have the most inventory.
    I recently Picked up a PBP STi limited from Heuberger, those guys were great, however there were no 5dr models on the lot that I saw (unless they were hiding up the hill). Even with the STi they only had limiteds in stock. (mine was on the lot for just 4 days before I purchased it) When I asked if they expected any 2012 STIs in in october they just basically said they hoped so. So I picked up my '11 at a nice price!

I have seen several 11's with low miles used on autotrader. Highest mileage I saw was 13k. Still under warranty. You may want to consider that route imo.