Considering a '11 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Considering a '11 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I am looking to trade in my current daily driver, 2005 RSX-S, for a 2011 WRX 5-door. My other ...

Considering a '11 WRX

Hi,

I am looking to trade in my current daily driver, 2005 RSX-S, for a 2011 WRX 5-door.

My other choice is a V6 Accord coupe or an IS 250 awd. Drastically different cars, I know. The suby is #1 on my list right now. I previously owned a 2010 Evo GSR as a second car. My plans would be to leave the WRX stock, with the exception of a tune.

I'm doing a little research before pulling the trigger. I'd greatly appreciate everyone's input!

The Evo X had a couple well documented, problematic issues: (things most people complained about)
    -- Paint quality, #3 cylinder piston ring, sloppy shifter

What are the common gripes about the newer WRX's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My complaints, all easily remedied...Stereo, spongy shifter and mounts, rattles. But even knowing these things before I bought, it's well worth those small things when looking at the complete package.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

please buy an 07 STI white!

or

NOT
    I have candy

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.Nice choice.Like your EVOX,the WRX also suffers from poor paint quality.Not many mechanical issues regarding the 2011 have been reported so far.Like jd says the stereo is bad,the shifter is spongy(can be easily remedied)and there are a lot of rattles.But it is still worth it & everything is forgotten when you step on the gas pedal & hear the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by evo2wrx View Post
    My plans would be to leave the WRX stock, with the exception of a tune.
    that's what everybody says,me included.But its tough to stop once you have started.You can find various ideas in the thread in my sig.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Totally Agree, just got my 11 about 2 weeks now, Love it! paint so far is ok but you see alot of people saying it bad, stero is horrid for sure, Imo the shifter is spongy but the suspension will be upgraded before on my list, the sound is amazing fun as hell to drive. 1400miles in 11 days for me, enjoy with your decision!

What is the remedy for a spongy shifter? Short throw and some base bushings?

What is the gripe with the stereo? Lack of clarity , lack of bass?

stereo is just crap, with Ipod or CD it actually has some base and decent sound, with radio can be at max volume and just bad quality.

yes SS, with bushing, easy to and cheap debating on that and suspension right now.

I just went from a 2008 EVOX to my 2011 WRX. I loved my Evo and had absolutely nothing wrong with it. I needed something a bit more practical now that I own a house and my commute went from 13 miles each way to 53 miles each way. The Evo handled a lot better even in stock form. The WRX suffers from a lack of dampening especially when you hit a bump mid corner. I was consistently autocrossing with my EVO and my MS3 before that, I just simply don't have the time to do it anymore and is probably why I've been more tolerable with the handling deficiencies of the WRX

I still love my WRX, it's fun to drive, can move off the line, handles well compared to other cars in its class, isn't terrible on gas (my evo averaged 18-21mpg on the highway), and is more practical to live with everyday.

I imagine after I do some suspension work to the WRX and add a tune with an exhaust the glaring differences I feel in terms of performance will be minimized. That is if I ever get away from work long enough to actually work on the car.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2008 MINI Cooper S
    Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

My 11 wrx is a very sweet car but have never seen such poor paint on a new car! You better bubble wrap the whole car if you get one! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    My 11 wrx is a very sweet car but have never seen such poor paint on a new car! You better bubble wrap the whole car if you get one! Lol
    +1
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Quote Originally Posted by evo2wrx View Post
    My other choice is a V6 Accord coupe
    i have one of these as well. it's an 09 and while still an awesome car, it doesn't compare to the WRX at all performance wise...much better stereo though.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

No paint problems here so far (cross fingers), but then I have a clear bra on the front 1/3 of the card including headlights and fog lights. The stereo is easy to fix. A subwoofer does wonders.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    No paint problems here so far (cross fingers), but then I have a clear bra on the front 1/3 of the card including headlights and fog lights. The stereo is easy to fix. A subwoofer does wonders.
    SAYS it all
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

I have some bug marks, and 1 chip after 1 year and 20k miles. I'd say that's at least average if not better than average paint wear. No clear bra
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

The clear bra doesn't cover everything, though, so by crappy paint, I assume you mean tendency to chip easily, not necessarily things like fading, for example.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast