Looking to buy but need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking to buy but need help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking to buy a Subaru WRX. However, it must be said that I do not know whole lot ...

Looking to buy but need help

I am looking to buy a Subaru WRX. However, it must be said that I do not know whole lot about cars. I love them but I am not tuner nor will I upgrade my car a whole lot after it is purchased.

I currently drive a 2002 Maxima SE. It has a 3.5L engine and has around 250 HP. It was a great first car but it is now 2K miles and isn't what it used to be.

I am not looking to race the car but I would like to have a fast car. Something that is quick off the line 0-60. Would an older WRX (not an STI) be able to compete with some of the cars 0-60?

For example would a 05/06 WRX be able to keep up with my brothers 2002 Lexus SC which is a 4.3 liter engine with 300 HP? Or would the Sti be needed?

Thanks so much for your help I am sorry I know very little about cars especially Subarus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey Oranje, I'm new to this site but not cars/Subies. Subarus are very different than most cars. The flat 4 engine, awd and being turbocharged all require a little learning curve. At some point all of us were new to these cars. You'll need to decide what you consider a "fast car" before you begin. Launching these cars with awd can be very abusive to the drivetrain and be very costly to repair. I would not base my car buying decision on whether or not you can out run x car from 0-60, but whether the car fits your budget and needs of your everyday life. Subarus are not fast stock IMO, or cheap to modify if done correctly. I strongly suggest you do some research before you make a decision. There is a thread on NASIOC by Unibomber called Unibomber's Manifesto. WRXs are excellent cars, take your time and try to find one that is as stock as possible so you're not repairing or cleaning up some one elses problems. Start by reading this...Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.