SPT short throw and bushings - loose/sloppy in gear?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on SPT short throw and bushings - loose/sloppy in gear? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just got the SPT short throw and bushing installed on my 2011 WRX. Now the shifter has ...

SPT short throw and bushings - loose/sloppy in gear?

Hey guys, I just got the SPT short throw and bushing installed on my 2011 WRX. Now the shifter has a lot of play and side to side movement in all gears. Is that normal? It doesn't seem right, but I'm not savvy about much anything with cars.

Here's what happens: ‪2011 WRX SPT short throw‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric B.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You had it installed or you did it yourself?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Had it installed at dealership where I bought the car. In hindsight I should have asked them before driving off with it, but I was excited to try it out and it didn't really sink in until a day later. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    That does not look right.I don't have the SPT shifter.I have the kartboy shifter & bushings & its nothing like that,very firm.

I think you should take it back.Maybe they didn't torque something to spec.My guess would be that its the either the lever pivot or the shifter U-joint.Since th SPT shifter comes with the linkages they would have taken the entire assembly apart.

If you look in the thread in my sig,post No 3., you can see what I'm talking about are the parts where bushings A & C would go.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

yeah that is NOT right.. my factory equipment standard shifter in my '10 was tighter than that.. .. much tighter.

I'd take it back and show that to the service manager.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

If you have ramps or a jack and stands I'd inspect the shifter linkage under your car. Take a look at the shifter pivot, and the shifter stay (a.k.a rear shifter bushing). Based on the degree of side to side movement there's a good chance the linkage isn't seated in the stay. Remove the boot/surround as well.

Wouldn't want to lose the ability to shift gears on the way back to the dealership. You would likely have a 100% chance of fixing it yourself but I'd take it back regardless since you paid them to do the job right.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    If you have ramps or a jack and stands I'd inspect the shifter linkage under your car. Take a look at the shifter pivot, and the shifter stay (a.k.a rear shifter bushing). Based on the degree of side to side movement there's a good chance the linkage isn't seated in the stay. Remove the boot/surround as well.

Wouldn't want to lose the ability to shift gears on the way back to the dealership. You would likely have a 100% chance of fixing it yourself but I'd take it back regardless since you paid them to do the job right.
    I was thinking the same thing, the rear shifter bushing may need to be replaced to reduce the side to side play that is known to occur.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Thanks for your help guys. I called the dealer and they said that definitely isn't the correct behavior. They couldn't get me in until tomorrow, so I'm taking it in then. They didn't think it would be a problem driving today and tomorrow, but I'm still a bit nervous.

Lesson learned: take time to check anything installed at the dealer, and trust my judgment. Also, investing in some ramps might be a good bet, and getting more familiar with the car!

- Eric

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 5oclockfriday View Post
    Also, investing in some ramps might be a good bet, and getting more familiar with the car!
    good idea Just ask the dealer exactly what the issue was.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.