New to the Subaru/WRX World & Warranty Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the Subaru/WRX World & Warranty Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 2011 WRX & noticed this website in one of the brochures at the dealership. Just trying ...

Smile New to the Subaru/WRX World & Warranty Question

I just purchased a 2011 WRX & noticed this website in one of the brochures at the dealership. Just trying to join the community and figure out more info on the WRX. I have been a member of numerous forums before such as b15sentra.net. So far loving the car and learning alot more of what to do and not by reading this website. The only real question I have is how strict is Subaru with there warranty. I have done the whole NISMO thing with Nissan and was told at the dealer basically that if I mod my car warranty is voided even if I buy Subaru aftermarket parts and do not have them installed by the dealer. Nissan stated this 2 but I called there BS and installed them myself without issue or warranty void. Just trying to get some feedback from others with there dealership experience.
    2003 Nissan Sentra GXE (Traded)
    2004 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V (200000 + miles and still kicking)
    2010 Nissan Maxima SV (Traded)
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome. Good question...I just got my DGM 5dr a week ago.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The parts themselves do not void the warranty. However, they may say that whatever damage that may occur could be caused by non OEM parts and they will not honor your warranty.

Yea Just picked up my 2011 this week and yoru questions are good but pretty easy to find the answer. It's going to be up to the dealer itself. Right now from talking to my service manager I'm getting mixed Signals. SPT they are fine regardless if I isntall or not and SPT doesnt make much for 2011's.

But they have Cobb stickers and banners in their service department, kinda strange. Also few salesman had Cobb sticker on their windows of their offices. so I asked "Can I do Cobb stage 1 to my car without voiding the warranty? He gave me the meh look and kida was like "well..."

So when I said you guys obviously know by doing stage 1 Im retuning the car with a AP, i just dont want to get screwed. He said for me to get back to him when I go in for my 1k oil change. So i'm hopeful. Good luck

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    In the end it comes down to a given dealer on a given day based on the warranty claim. If they decide that the claim can be connected to the modification they have the right to deny that claim and there is little that you can do about it (maybe try another dealer?). At the same time, there are plenty of dealers who will be cool with mods, as long they don't clearly cause the issue.

In the end you simply have to decide whether or not to take the risk - as there is some - of modding your car. The more you mod the bigger the risks. I went Stage 1 on my '11 and will not go further until I am out of warranty. That is the amount of risk I am ready for. If I get a claim denied ... it was my choice.

Good luck and enjoy your ride!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    I once contacted SOA about this.I have their reply somewhere.Too lazy to look for it now.

Anyways,what they said was that an damage caused due to a specific aftermarket part may lead to denial of a claim.Under no circumstances can your warranty be "VOIDED".

Regarding SPT parts,the parts themselves are warrantied only if they are installed by your dealer(read you cannot buy an SPT part & install yourself).But the SPT part will have to be added at port or it should be on the car when you take delivery if it is to be included in the car's warranty.Meaning if an SPT part was installed later by the dealer & it caused a maintenence issue they consider it as an aftermarket part & can still deny a warranty claim.

BTW I love the OPs screen name.You couldn't blame him for denial.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Federal law protects you (US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312) ........ mod away....

Click here and read the Code

I Support ClubWRX
    Federal law via the Magnuson Moss Act states that a car manufacturer cannot void a warranty,but if you read the first sentence it clearly states that they can deny warranty claims if they determine that the specific problem was caused by an aftermarket part installed by the owner of the vehicle.

Also did you know that any modification to any car in the State of NY is illegal?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Federal law via the Magnuson Moss Act states that a car manufacturer cannot void a warranty,but if you read the first sentence it clearly states that they can deny warranty claims if they determine that the specific problem was caused by an aftermarket part installed by the owner of the vehicle.

Also did you know that any modification to any car in the State of NY is illegal?
    Absolutely right. If the part is deemed to have caused the problem then yes it can be denied. But say your spring breaks and you put an intake on the two are not related and there is no way an intake caused the spring problem. But yes depending on the circumstances and the problem there is a possibility of being denied.

As for NY, maybe NYC is different, you have many laws that the rest of the state doesn't have. Here is western NY we can modify exhaust, intakes, do tunes, intercoolors, engine mods, dress-up mods, suspension, etc. As long as you adhere to the Vehical and Traffic Laws. Also mods like I mention will still pass NYS inspection as I've always modded and never failed an inspection.
    For example: exhaust can be modified if you keep the cat in place and make sure that the sound is no louder than the stock sound. (of course the courts have no stock sound reference so it essentially un-enforceable). Or a simple thing like license plate location. You can mount it anywhere you want as long as it's on the front and back, not obstructed, and meets the min and max height requirement (doesn't have to be centered). Trust me I know because I've been to court for both these examples when I had my Lancer and won both cases. Cop tried to ticket me and he was wrong. Another example is intakes, there is actually no law covering this except that you have to still pass emissions tests, if you do, your good. More examples are things like tinting tail lights, as long as they can be seen 1500 feet away in the day your good. Or if you want rims there is no law against that. Or if you want to add a super charger / blower, again just pass emissions and your good. Internal engine mods, pass emisions and your good. Etc...Just adhere to the VAT law and your good to go.
    An example of what would be illegal is having nitrous with a full bottle driving on the streets. You can have nitrous installed, just can't have the bottle filled. Or driving with underbody lighting turned on is illegal. You can have it installed, just not turned on while driving.

And to add... my Lancer had $3000 worth of mods. Dress-up, suspension, engine, and exhaust. The car was 100% street legal. The dealer would not have taken my car as a trade and then sold it for a $2500 profit if it was illegal. Like I said maybe NYC is different, but outside the NYC area it is perfectly legal to modify your car in NY as long as you adhere the the stipulations in the VAT law.

When you have some time read thru the VAT laws (unless NYC is different). It's a boring read, but very informative.
    Last edited by sho-n-go; 07-15-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks everyone I will keep everything in mind. Just enjoying the car for now. Probably just looking at a short shifter for the time being.
    2003 Nissan Sentra GXE (Traded)
    2004 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V (200000 + miles and still kicking)
    2010 Nissan Maxima SV (Traded)
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.