New girl from Boston - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Boston within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax that's what everyone says. 2 years later, you're running a 20g... I never said any of ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    that's what everyone says. 2 years later, you're running a 20g...
    I never said any of that...I had good plans with only slight adjustments...still more to come
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05eclipse05 View Post
    That price isn't shocking. Remember, we've been doing this already. I knew a decent set (especially for a newer platform) would cost a nice penny. Nothing a few months of saving couldn't fix.
    The general consensus is that unless you're racing, coilovers aren't necessary. A good set of springs and adjustable struts will get you 98% of the performance coilovers offer, with less back pain and less drain on your wallet. Most enthusiasts end up purchasing and installing coilovers for the bragging rights and being able to say "yeah, its got coilovers." To me, that phrase alone isn't worth the extra $1000-1500 over springs/struts. Not to mention the terrible ride quality a set of linear springs introduces...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The general consensus is that unless you're racing, coilovers aren't necessary. A good set of springs and adjustable struts will get you 98% of the performance coilovers offer, with less back pain and less drain on your wallet. Most enthusiasts end up purchasing and installing coilovers for the bragging rights and being able to say "yeah, its got coilovers." To me, that phrase alone isn't worth the extra $1000-1500 over springs/struts. Not to mention the terrible ride quality a set of linear springs introduces...
    I fully support this statement. I've got coils and it pretty much ruins the daily driveability of my car.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

This is new to me. I never knew adjustable struts were made. Hmmm wow. I don't have coilovers for my 3G eclipse either - I run a nice strut/spring combo and it is daily driven. I only suggest coilovers due to the fact i thought that was my only Adjustable option. Glad to know we have a cheaper/more practical route to take! This has probably been answered a million times but i'll go ahead and ask/keep searching for the info. What are some quality brand name spring/ADJUSTABLE strut combos?

I Support ClubWRX
    This is new to me. I never knew adjustable struts were made. Hmmm wow. I don't have coilovers for my 3G eclipse either - I run a nice strut/spring combo and it is daily driven. I only suggest coilovers due to the fact i thought that was my only Adjustable option. Glad to know we have a cheaper/more practical route to take! This has probably been answered a million times but i'll go ahead and ask/keep searching for the info. What are some quality brand name spring/ADJUSTABLE strut combos?
    Why do you NEED adjustable?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What are some quality brand name spring/ADJUSTABLE strut combos?
    Jimmy is right... you probably don't even need adjustable struts. To be completely technical, you need an alignment after each time the strut is adjusted, although the difference is essentially negligible. If adjustable is your thing, Tokico D-specs are probably your best bet and KYB AGX are 4-way adjustable.

http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/tokico...roducts/dspec/
    http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/agx.php
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Why do you NEED adjustable?
    Winter weather up north = feet of snow. After driving my 3G in what little amount of snow we get here in Tx, I can only imagine how hard it would be with feet of snow compared to inches.

Jimmy is right... you probably don't even need adjustable struts. To be completely technical, you need an alignment after each time the strut is adjusted, although the difference is essentially negligible. If adjustable is your thing, Tokico D-specs are probably your best bet and KYB AGX are 4-way adjustable.
    I have KYB AGX's right now, and they don't adjust ride height? By adjustable I am talking about ride height, not dampening abilities. And I know alignments are requires. But with us only needing to adjust it twice a year, that won't be an issue. Lower for the summer/spring, and higher for winter.

So, coilovers will most likely be my only option. Adjustable ride height is the key later on.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, coilovers will most likely be my only option. Adjustable ride height is the key later on.
    Most people that live up north and have lowered cars have combinations that will still handle very well in the snow. Most people don't have issues unless you live in the backwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Cibotti View Post
    Like Chad said, it would be a DD but will definitely add an exhaust, and probably do a few upgrades like hid headlights (if they don't come like that). I like the 4 door with the wing for looks but the 5 door makes more sense since we want to get a big dog in the future and do a lot of traveling/camping. Opinions on 4 door vs. 5 door?? I am only 21 and don't want to feel like I'm driving around in a "mom mobile" with the 5 door
    I think I speak for most of the sport wagon and 5 door owners that it's no "mom mobile"! ha ha. A "mom mobile" is what my mom drives, a 2005 Outback auto.

But seriously, the wagon is well suited for what it sounds like you both are interested in: camping, road-tripping, maybe bringing home a new big screen TV, hauling the dog around. When you say "a big dog" what do you mean by big? My wife and I have a border collie and she fits nicely in the back of my '02 sport wagon. Anything much larger than, say, a small labrador will be rather tight. No great danes, haha.

It sounds like you are doing all the necessary research so I'm sure you'll love whatever you get.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I live in MA and an I met a lady that drove her 350z all year round up here. Never had any trouble she said as long as she put on them snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    So why isn't this thread 10 pages yet? No leghumping just bc her boyfriend is here? you guys are so respectful all of a sudden

+1 to the hatch too. Sedan wouldn't even be an option IMO
    hahahaha I got that from my other forum, doesn't effect me even if they did start leg humping

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    the base model can come with fog lights.The moon roof comes in the premium & limited trims.

If you look in my sig theres a write up on how to add fogs.I got my base without them and added them later.The car is pre-wired,so its not a tough job.
    Wow that's awesome you have the write up AND that they are prewired! That is something I didn't expect; great to know for the future, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    I think I speak for most of the sport wagon and 5 door owners that it's no "mom mobile"! ha ha. A "mom mobile" is what my mom drives, a 2005 Outback auto.

But seriously, the wagon is well suited for what it sounds like you both are interested in: camping, road-tripping, maybe bringing home a new big screen TV, hauling the dog around. When you say "a big dog" what do you mean by big? My wife and I have a border collie and she fits nicely in the back of my '02 sport wagon. Anything much larger than, say, a small labrador will be rather tight. No great danes, haha.

It sounds like you are doing all the necessary research so I'm sure you'll love whatever you get.
    We'll be getting a German Shepherd, so definitely need the room. Everybody's responses about the hatch not being a "mom mobile" make me feel MUCH more confident now, especially the point made that the hatch is used in the off-road competitions. I'm definitely on board for the 5 door
    Future WRX Owner
    Trying to learn all I can!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bcibotti
    My current car: http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...lue-03-gt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cibotti View Post
    I'm definitely on board for the 5 door
    Good decision. You won't regret it.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

hehe.. I like to joke about my hatch being the "shaggin wagon" vs "daddy wagon" though I've been known to call it either one depending on who's harassing me about it.

I've brought all kinds of stuff home in it and more than a few times had my x's 90lb american bulldog calling dibs on the rear seat area (seats folded down) along with our gear in the very back. All of us fit comfy on a few trips from Virginia Beach to Albany NY and back.

I do highly recommend you get a doggy hammock or something along those lines or you'll have doggy fuzz all over the car in short order. GS's are better at hair clean up vs the abd's.. but.. vacuuming up doggy fuzz is no fun either way you shake it.

Love my hatch
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

GAH! Mango, that's sooo cute!
    Future WRX Owner
    Trying to learn all I can!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bcibotti
    My current car: http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...lue-03-gt.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast