Subaru WRX Forum banner

New girl from Boston

6K views 90 replies 24 participants last post by  rage-wrx 
#1 ·
Hey there WRX owners, my name is Brittany and I do not currently own a WRX, yet, but decided it would be beneficial to join your forum and learn from everyone's experiences. I currently own a 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse and am part of their forum club3g.com, so I understand the basics of how the forum works. If anyone wants to point me in the direction of which section will educate me about the best model and options that would be appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance everyone! :wave:

#4 ·
:wave:
Hi everyone. I'm here boyfriend, Chad, and we actually joined this site together. Reason being, when we get our first car together were looking at a WRX. I believe the year we're looking at 2009 - 2011's I believe. We want it as a DD car, and something that will last us a good while and for us to grow on. There most likely will be a couple of lil bolt ons ;). Nothing crazy though. But yea, neither one of us are n00bs to the whole forum thing, for like she said we are part of club3g.com (30k members world wide) and we will search around in time for most of the information - but if you have any helpful info to our questions, please feel free to chime in.

Right now, I like the 5 door hatch, while she's more of a 4 door lover (with the wing). I'll be lurking around for info on the platform and FAQ's. Thanks!

#11 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Already started checking out most the stickies too ;). I wish this site had an FAQ section about the car though.

Welcome to club.:) You may want to explore the links in my signature.
Thank you, will do!

welcome to you both :) , so one has to ask why a scooby over what would seem a obvious choice to go from the eclipse to a evo ?
As Britt already said, the newer evo styles are pretty ugly to us both, and we would both LOVE to have an older one, but that's hard to find one that hasn't been beat to **** and back. Besides, the EVO is kinda an "all out" car. New ones are 30K plus... while Subbie at least has the WRX (non sti) which are in the 20's. As a younger couple starting out together, price is important!

#9 ·
Personally, I mostly like the looks and what seems to be the reliability of Subaru. No one in my family has ever owned a Subaru so I can't speak from experience. However, from what I have researched so far, the WRX seems like a much more bang for your buck, as well as appearance. We would be looking to buy pretty new
(under 10k miles) and I'm not a fan of the 2009-2011 Evo body styling either.

I will take plenty of time to look around the forums stated to research and see of Subaru really is all its cracked up to be :) Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

#14 ·
:wave:
Hi everyone. I'm here boyfriend, Chad, and we actually joined this site together. Reason being, when we get our first car together were looking at a WRX. I believe the year we're looking at 2009 - 2011's I believe. We want it as a DD car, and something that will last us a good while and for us to grow on. There most likely will be a couple of lil bolt ons ;). Nothing crazy though. But yea, neither one of us are n00bs to the whole forum thing, for like she said we are part of club3g.com (30k members world wide) and we will search around in time for most of the information - but if you have any helpful info to our questions, please feel free to chime in.

Right now, I like the 5 door hatch, while she's more of a 4 door lover (with the wing). I'll be lurking around for info on the platform and FAQ's. Thanks!

#17 ·
i got an 11 wrx sedan. I love the looks of the sedan but i dont hate the looks of the hatch either. And at times i think, man, i shouldve got the hatch. Both are awesome and im pretty sure even with the hatch u def. wouldnt look like a soccer mom. Ive gone on trips with my other half and the trunk space was more than enough space for the few things we took... but i guess if ur going to travel with tons of stuff the hatch would def be the way to go. also if ur going to throw down over 20k u might as well buy urselves a base 2011 wrx.... just my opinion.

#39 · (Edited)
the base model can come with fog lights.The moon roof comes in the premium & limited trims.

If you look in my sig theres a write up on how to add fogs.I got my base without them and added them later.The car is pre-wired,so its not a tough job.

#21 ·
Oh don't worry haha I've already been there and done that with HID replacements (I have Depos with 6000k in my eclipse now). We would never just drop them into the stock lamps, it was just an example of the "type" of mods we would add

#22 ·
Well I didn't mean to jump on you then! :) You would be surprised with the number of members that want an HID kit, don't want to spend the money, and tell the rest of us that they "don't care about anyone else on the road." Clearly, I've been jaded...

Since I took the time to find it: The HID FAQ Thread - Read before posting your questions - NASIOC

#23 ·
No worries, I know what it's like to deal with "n00bs" from my eclipse forum, typically they don't know how to change up the car "safely and properly". Thanks for finding the thread for me! You guys are all being super helpful. Making we want to trade up to the WRX even sooner!

#24 ·
hmm used fully loaded for 25 grand or brand new base 25 grand, how many of you out there would really choose used? How many of you bought ur wrx's for fog lights? heated seats? for a nav? i personally wouldnt be able to live knowing i couldve had a brand new wrx with pretty much no mileage as opposed to a used one. but whatever floats ur boat.

#25 ·
I'm not talking about getting fully loaded, I'm talking about possibly a Premium here. Notice I never mentioned Leather seats, heaters or NAV...? I am looking for options with FUNCTION (aka fog lights) not just comfort and "cool factor". The only "cool factor" I desire is the moon roof and that's because I'd rather have as much airflow through the car as possible vs. turning on my AC. Yes I could get a base model and retrofit in some fog lights. That's going to be a decision I'll have to make in the future.

#34 · (Edited)
Nah, on the 08-10 base model cars thats just a little plastic grid that pops out ;) on the 11's I'm pretty sure its a panel that pops/fastens into the bumper that holds the fog light. Either way.. its an easy job to fit factory equipment into the cars that didn't come with em. On the base cars all you have to do is get the turn sig stalk with the fog light switch (all wiring is already installed) and I believe add a fuse.. oh.. and mount the lights and thats it. I have a base '10 hatch.. and I've already got the fog light switch here, but looking at alternative lights vs the factory fog lights. Hella makes some really nice projector fogs that are available in a few different diameters. I may go that route vs the rather inadequate factory pieces.

hella.com

Oh.. and welcome to the forum guys! :D

#32 ·
i personally like the hatch (go figure) in terms of looks and the extra space is an added bonus. 11.3 cubic feet vs. 19 cubic feet of storage in the hatch. though the 4 door is starting to grow on me lately.

i do wish sometimes i had the moonroof but im happy with what i have. almost sounds like you should go for the limited. fogs, HID's, moonroof and depending if you're in boston rather than texas (can't tell) heated mirrors, wipers and seats.

either way, good luck with your search/purchase and welcome to the club!!

#35 ·
Welcome to both of you!

Mangostick is right about the 2011 fogs - they are crummy units. Not much real illumination - more just a "that dim light down there must mean its got fog lights" look.

There is nothing mom-mobile about the hatch. IMO it is the more bada$$ version of the car anyway. The sedan's look great, but the hatch to me has the meaner look, and is way more practical (especially if a dog is in your plans).

#36 ·
There is nothing mom-mobile about the hatch. IMO it is the more bada$$ version of the car anyway. The sedan's look great, but the hatch to me has the meaner look, and is way more practical (especially if a dog is in your plans).
+1

I really prefer the look of the hatch to the sedan in pretty much every case and every model year (except for the STi with the wing). Not to mention it's faster... there's a reason they run the hatch for rally!

#37 ·
So why isn't this thread 10 pages yet? No leghumping just bc her boyfriend is here? you guys are so respectful all of a sudden :tongue: :rotfl:

+1 to the hatch too. Sedan wouldn't even be an option IMO

#38 ·
So why isn't this thread 10 pages yet? No leghumping just bc her boyfriend is here? you guys are so respectful all of a sudden :tongue: :rotfl:
Exactly

#40 ·
Well i'm glad to know any factory additions won't be too hard to add on. Can't say the same for our current car platform, ha. Thanks for all the helpful opinions everyone. And as far as the hardlegging/leg humping goes... I guess I should have lurked in the shadows and waited a little bit, huh? ;)

#41 ·
Oh yeah... and on a side note. Cobb headquaters in close by to where i live right now. Made a few friends in their business when i worked at a Mitsubishi dealership near them. Not sure if we'll go that far/deep into modding though. Like Britt said, just exhaust, some new lighting, wheels, and MAYBE adjustable coilovers.

#54 ·
Most people that live up north and have lowered cars have combinations that will still handle very well in the snow. Most people don't have issues unless you live in the backwoods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.