Finally got my car...albeit...not quite what I ordered.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally got my car...albeit...not quite what I ordered. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The dealer called me yesterday and told me it was in. They told me it would take half a day ...

Finally got my car...albeit...not quite what I ordered.

The dealer called me yesterday and told me it was in. They told me it would take half a day to get it prepped and ready for me. I explained that wasn't going to work and it was ready within an hour. So, I really didn't get it a day early...I just got it the day it was delivered.

They gave me the complete VIN so I could get my insurance ready. Called the ins. company. Then, logged on to Subaru's website so I could "register" or whatever. And, learned that it was a 5-Door Hatch. I had ordered the 4-Door Sedan. So, I went to the dealer and made them show me the original order sheet that I had signed and it clearly said sedan. I went round-and-round with them for about an hour, even talking to the owner of the dealership. All they had to offer was a "sorry" and told me that it was pretty much take it or leave it (as there are no other WRXs available anywhere). I was completely pissed off. They didn't even know where the error had occurred. I ended up taking it as I hadn't been really concerned too much with which one I would get. But, the fact of the matter was that I didn't end up with what I wanted. And, the dealer didn't really give a damn that someone screwed up.

All they did was apologize. Now, I can't believe for a minute that they didn't make any money off selling me this car...and they could have even taken a loss or the CEO of the dealer could have given me compensation out of his own pocket if he'd cared enough. But, this has been the absolute worst experience I've had with purchasing a car...and I'm on something like my 6th or 7th car.

Everyone seemed apologetic...but, no one offered to do anything for me. I didn't really expect to get any money or anything...but, they could have tried.

I was told by the manager that he tried calling Subaru to find out where the mess up had occurred...and was told that they would find out in the morning (today) and let me know. But, I still haven't heard from them.

I'm enjoying my car tremendously. And, I know that it will be a fantastic car for the future. I know the delay was no one's fault. I do feel as though I should have been kept more informed by Subaru and the dealer. As an IT professional I know that implementing a system in which products are tracked the entire way through the order/production/delivery process is not difficult...in fact a lot of other companies do have some sort of similar system (though, I am not very familiar with other automotive manufacturers practices). I would like to say that you have been the most helpful person that I've dealt with over the last 5 months that it has taken to get my car.

I would like to say that this experience hasn't blemished Subaru, but, it has slightly. I would still definitely consider another in the future but, I will be much more diligent in making sure that I am informed. I will undoubtedly NEVER consider buying a car from Roper Subaru in Joplin, MO. I will be writing a letter to someone at Subaru and emailing/posting/printing/distributing reviews regarding my situation and how I feel that I've been treated by Roper...everywhere.

(pics to come)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sucks to hear but congrats.Hatches FTW.It'll grow on you & you will love the extra cargo space
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnoprophet View Post
    I will undoubtedly NEVER consider buying a car from Roper Subaru in Joplin, MO.

(pics to come)
    Blame mother nature.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I feel as tho the error was in your favor.. I love all subaru sedans... but 2008+ are just a rebadged toyota corolla.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I feel as tho the error was in your favor.. .
    Ditto!
    04 WRX Wagon. 18's, Catless uppipe, silencer mod..
    67 Cuda 493" big spinny thingy
    63 Savoy 413" 4 speed..
    99 dodge ram CTD modded.
    08 M109R2
    08 Vegas Low

i bought my 11 sti (hatch) two months ago, pobably the best decision I have ever made when choosing a car! don't worry you'll love it

Complain, try to get Subaru to compensate you somehow, and enjoy that hatch! Yes, U are right...U are the customer, U know what U ordered and didn't order, those guys at that dealership F'd up and they knew it and just stuck U. U are right...there are tracking systems and they should have read to you before you left the dealership initiallly that U are in agreement to what U ordered initially...anyway, I feel for U BUT U do have a great ride and yeah the 08+ look like a Corolla with a body kit
    Current ride: 2001 Kona Mama BMX... a classic!
    There are 3 types of people in this world...those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened
    Pipe Hitters Union member
    http://www.wheeldude.com/wdg/ul/inde...ery/5154_2.jpg

I am loving the car...and I guess I can kind of see the toyota influence on the sedan. Undoubtedly, my love for the hatch will increase.

I sent this same thing to a Subaru CSR that I've been previously dealing with (trying to find out when my car was actually coming in...since Roper didn't help much). She is forwarding the issue through mgmt...so we'll see.

I do feel as though Roper could and should have done something to make it right...give me a tshirt or something at the least.

We'll see what happens. In teh mean time...i've got to get my 1k miles done so i can have some real fun. I'm getting tired of short shifting already

I'm happy to hear that U are loving the car, and yes, it is the principle of the matter... and they should compensate U with something more than a shoulder shrug. My feeling is that they promised U something they could not deliver in time and purposely brought in the hatch and played stupid. Subaru isn't a small-time operator, and IMO that dealership or Subaru should give you free regular maintenance for life on top of whatever warranty/service plan U have. These guys fail to see that these forums have the power of influence and that it is critical in today's climate to win and keep customer loyalty/satisfaction. Glad to hear a CSR is working your issue.

Enjoy that car! Yeah, the sedans do look like a corolla or an older camry with a body kit, that's why I'm not in one, but in the meantime I'm on the quest for an 06/07 STi
    There are 3 types of people in this world...those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_K View Post
    I'm happy to hear that U are loving the car, and yes, it is the principle of the matter... and they should compensate U with something more than a shoulder shrug. My feeling is that they promised U something they could not deliver in time and purposely brought in the hatch and played stupid. Subaru isn't a small-time operator, and IMO that dealership or Subaru should give you free regular maintenance for life on top of whatever warranty/service plan U have. These guys fail to see that these forums have the power of influence and that it is critical in today's climate to win and keep customer loyalty/satisfaction. Glad to hear a CSR is working your issue.
    I disagree. Subaru (i.e. SOA) shouldn't do a thing here other than find out what went wrong on their end, if anything. I might also factor in a bit of understanding considering the earthquake in Japan. Other than that, it is a dealership issue because they could possibly work out a dealer trade, discount the price, or whatever. And it isn't like placing an order is a contract to deliver a car on a specific date--either party can walk away from the deal at any time. You can even get your deposit back if you decide not to take the car in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnoprophet View Post
    I do feel as though Roper could and should have done something to make it right...give me a tshirt or something at the least.
    Did they give you the car at the sedan price? I think that is worth around $500 alone. But yeah, it is crap they did the take it or leave it thing to you. A couple dealer installed upgrades or random gear would have sweetened the deal but I guess they know they can sell the car if you don't take it. Supply and demand be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I disagree. Subaru (i.e. SOA) shouldn't do a thing here other than find out what went wrong on their end, if anything. I might also factor in a bit of understanding considering the earthquake in Japan. Other than that, it is a dealership issue because they could possibly work out a dealer trade, discount the price, or whatever. And it isn't like placing an order is a contract to deliver a car on a specific date--either party can walk away from the deal at any time. You can even get your deposit back if you decide not to take the car in most cases.
    Understanding bcz of the earthquake in Japan? I'm Japanese, so should I tell my creditors to be more understanding if I don't pay my bills on time? The Subaru plant is on the southern end of Honshu and far away from the damage site and there is no radiation fallout. This is all another story. Anyway, God bless America. I am in agreement that SOA should have found out what happened on their end and be a little understanding and comped for any possible ruffled feathers or emotions. So if I put money down at a dealership and sign an agreement for a specific car and I don't get what I paid for and the dealership shrugs and may go as far as say "take it or leave it" and may or may not give me my deposit money back, is this ok? If this happend to you, would you still take the same stance? If I go to McD's and order a Big Mac meal and they give me a Kid's Meal and I complain and they say "oh well...take it or leave it", is this ok? If I live up to my end of the agreement and the other party defaults, is this ok?

Anyway, it's all good man...this is America, right? I hope you don't own a dealership or work at one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Placing an order on a car is not a binding contract.The money given to the dealer on placing the order is a good faith deposit.It is not a down payment.So there is not much legal recourse.The best the OP may be able to get out of this is a maintenance package.

The dealership or SOA messed up with the model code.For the sedans its is BJN,BJP or BJP depending on the trim.For the hatch it is either BLN,BLO or BLP also depending on the trim.OP,check the order form to see the model code.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Did they give you the car at the sedan price? I think that is worth around $500 alone.
    that was for the 2008-2010,the hatch cost $500 more.For the 2011 they are equally priced.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

that was for the 2008-2010,the hatch cost $500 more.For the 2011 they are equally priced.
    Ooops...thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_K View Post
    Understanding bcz of the earthquake in Japan? I'm Japanese, so should I tell my creditors to be more understanding if I don't pay my bills on time? The Subaru plant is on the southern end of Honshu and far away from the damage site and there is no radiation fallout. This is all another story. Anyway, God bless America. I am in agreement that SOA should have found out what happened on their end and be a little understanding and comped for any possible ruffled feathers or emotions. So if I put money down at a dealership and sign an agreement for a specific car and I don't get what I paid for and the dealership shrugs and may go as far as say "take it or leave it" and may or may not give me my deposit money back, is this ok? If this happend to you, would you still take the same stance? If I go to McD's and order a Big Mac meal and they give me a Kid's Meal and I complain and they say "oh well...take it or leave it", is this ok? If I live up to my end of the agreement and the other party defaults, is this ok?

Anyway, it's all good man...this is America, right? I hope you don't own a dealership or work at one.
    Like rage-wrx said and I alluded to above, it typically is not a binding contract. It is really a loose commitment to buy and you can easily get out of it. Not even the same ballpark of comparing to paying creditors or placing an order at a restaurant. Also, I DID have something similar to this happen. I order a 2005 Nissan Frontier in Jan 2005 and made my deposit with an expected delivery date in 6-8 weeks. The dealership screwed up the order so 12 weeks later still no truck because the dealership didn't place the order correctly. Somewhere around 5 months later I finally found one at another dealership so I bought it AND got my initial deposit back.

And btw, just because the Subaru plant may be located in a different area of the country than the earthquake doesn't mean that plant makes all of the parts for the cars. The supply chain for a lot of manufacturers in many industries outside of the earthquake range was disrupted due to this same reason. In fact, the earthquake had an effect on the global economy.

I'm not complaining because it took so long to get my car. Well, I am, but I completely understand why (because of the earthquake). I know that it was no one's fault that it took so long. But, I think I have legitimate complaints as far as up until about 2 weeks ago I had absolutely no idea when I would get the car. (See my original post about the tracking info)

The dealership hasn't done anything. They had told me that they were getting with SOA to find out where the screw up happened. They told me they'd call me on Friday and that didn't happen.

Orders at the dealership are completely biased toward themselves in the event that something happens. All they do is give you the deposit back. There is no legal action to be taken.

Imo...the dealership should have done something. If they cared about me ever buying a car from them again they could have offered me any number of things. $'s, at cost accessories, their worthless perks (scotchguard)...etc. But, they didn't. At this point, SOA should step in (again imo). I think SOA should scold the dealer. They should send me a written apology (at the least) and possibly offer extended warranty or a T-shirt. However, I don't expect any of this to happen.

I also understand that it is a very easy mistake to make...I assume there is a hatch check box or something somewhere that is right next to the sedan check box...it could be easily mis-checked. I've never heard of someone getting the wrong order, though.

I agree that SOA should look into the matter but I'm not sure what they would do if anything at this point. The problem is you took delivery of the car. You would have had bargaining power if you would have told them to hold on to it until they got to the bottom of it.

As for the dealership, I'm totally with you--they should make more of an effort to make things right. It is hardly any skin of their back to kick in some extras at invoice or an in-house maintenance program. I would bet your complaint with SOA will lead to the dealership doing something. SOA really takes surveys and customer complaints seriously and they get on dealerships that don't make customers happy. After I bought my WRX in '09 I filled out the survey and gave the dealerships high marks with the exception of the section of getting options added to the car. I dinged them with an average rating, which IMO was quite generous because they refused to install an SPT exhaust before I took delivery and also quoted me a ridiculous price. A couple days later I got a phone call from the sales manager with an apology.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.