Just joined and wanting a WRX

This is a discussion on Just joined and wanting a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all. I've been secretly wanting a WRX for some time now and it's almost time to buy! Currently living ...

Just joined and wanting a WRX

Hey all. I've been secretly wanting a WRX for some time now and it's almost time to buy! Currently living in RI so the awd would be most welcomed. Currently, drive a Pontiac G8 GT with some mods and although the snow tires and traction control work well, there's nothing like awd.

I first 'real' car was a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse I bought new and had for over 16 years. I loved that car and really missed it once it was gone. A turbo four has always been on my wish list since and the WRX will be the next one.

I am just starting to research now for a purchase some time next year. Not sure I will sell the G8 as it's a great car but for now, it gets the job done. I may hold off to see what the 2012 WRX's look like/include as that may be tempting.

A couple of questions:
    -any rumors if the 2012 or later will have a dual clutch system as opposed to the 6-speed (my wife has no desire to learn stick!)?
    -how is rear seat room for kids? I have an 8 and 6 year old and currently in the G8 they have more than enough room to fight!

Thanks in advance for any information. I look forward to contributing more to the forum once I get my feet wet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well for starters I havn't looked far into the 2012 so I couldnt really offer any advice on that, but the backseat would fit two youngsters comfortably. I mean you could have 3 people back there I mean I wouldnt advise a cross country roadtrip with 4 passengers but just your kids wouldnt be uncomfortable for them. Goodluck in your search! I just bought a 2011 and wow its awesome man.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swimman View Post
    A couple of questions:
    -any rumors if the 2012 or later will have a dual clutch system as opposed to the 6-speed (my wife has no desire to learn stick!)?
    -how is rear seat room for kids? I have an 8 and 6 year old and currently in the G8 they have more than enough room to fight!
    A) The 2012 is expected to be the same as the 2011. Subaru has not announced anything yet, so there may be some minor changes but nothing that will be of much significance. The WRX has a 5 speed - not a 6 speed. Subaru has tacitly suggested the "new" WRX/STI will come in 2013, but there is nothing but speculation whether it will be a significant change like 2007 to 2008, or a smaller one like the 2010 to 2011 change.

B) My 12 year old fits fine in the back, and you can fit three of them back there for round-town kind of trips without any complaints. My two kids have never complained about space.

The car is a great bad weather car, and I imagine it would be great to have in RI. I read that you made some mods to the G8 (nice car BTW), so the moddable WRX may suck some additional funds from your accounts. It just seems to happen ...
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Welcome!