NEWBIE -- grabbed a silver bugeye..have some questions :)

This is a discussion on NEWBIE -- grabbed a silver bugeye..have some questions :) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Grabbed A Silver Bugeye What's up guys, just grabbed a 2002 silver wrx w/ 88k miles for ,000. Felt it ...

NEWBIE -- grabbed a silver bugeye..have some questions :)

Grabbed A Silver Bugeye
    What's up guys, just grabbed a 2002 silver wrx w/ 88k miles for $8,000. Felt it was a really good deal especially since it is bone stock besides a blow-off valve that was already in the car when the previous owner bought it.

just wanted some opinions as to what to do first, this is the order in which I planned on doing thingss: ---- would definitely like some opinions
    -sti wing (not a fan of the stock wing at all)
    -accesport (just to get that $500 loss out of the way...not sure about this though)
    -hks or borla catback exhaust (can't decide)
    -uppipe&downpipe

ANd can someone confirm when and "how" you need to tune your car? I know after major upgrades like exhaust system, uppipe and downpipe, you need to get a tune. But I'm not sure if that means actually take it to a dyno or you could just do that with the cobbAccesport?

thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car does not require tuning for an up or down pipe, only the respective CEL fixes.

Swap trunks and torsion bars with someone that wants your wing instead of theirs.

I don't do HK$. Others love it though. A catback will only add noise.

See the link in my signature for more info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Okay thanks for the information its much appreciated. Do you think it would be hard to find someone looking to do a sti wing swap for a stock wing? Also, could you give me some insight on the whole "tuning" process. Could do all those minor bolt ons and just use the maps on the accessport instead of paying 500$ for a proffesional tune every time?

I Support ClubWRX
    If I had that wing I would not be able to get rid if it fast enough. If others are like me then finding an STi trunk should be easy.

The AP is a commercial product. Go to the vendor site and read the map notes. They list parts supported. Use ONLY those parts and you will be fine with that specific map discussed. You can switch maps at will and provided the car has the parts listed in the map notes you will likely be OK.

There are other ways of remapping the car, +/- the AP. You can even DIY by buying a cable, a laptop, and either buying a map online or downloading one that's cookie-cutter made for a parts list. Some of these are better than others. People love this stuff though so there is plenty of support. For support on the AP though contact the maker directly; $500 of your money will go there so they should be able/willing to answer any/all questions etc. They have a web site forum Q/A section too.

If it were my car I'd do... nothing. If pressed and forced at gun point to modify it I would start at the wheels and move inward, avoiding the motor until the gun's hammer was pulled back. In any case I'd not hesitate to add an exhaust and up pipe with no remapping, just the CEL fixes; I would also consider remapping it but I would follow the parts list specified if I did not DIY. Under no circumstances would I change the intake. That's just me.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Loll thanks for all your advice man that helps a lot. I am not planning on going balls out 400whp to my car haha. I just am planning on some simple bolt-ons to give it some more gitty, than I am going all out on appearance
    Once again I appreciate the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok great. Appearance is very subjective. Look at threads with pics to get ideas etc. My tastes are not the same as yours and my tastes may be unpopular so take everything with a grain of salt. Go to a local meet to listen to exhausts in person and see appearance mods in person.

After you do all these upgrades, which you should, save a few dollars and buy a nice radar detector!

hahah already got one of those, my dad gave me his old one loll