New member. New to subies with a new car and a question!

This is a discussion on New member. New to subies with a new car and a question! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. Should have joined this forum first it seems. Just got my 2011 WRX SWP 2 weeks ago. Has ...

New member. New to subies with a new car and a question!

Hey guys. Should have joined this forum first it seems. Just got my 2011 WRX SWP 2 weeks ago. Has 1k on it so far. Ive been doing a ton of research on oil changes and am losing my mind. Im going to subaru tomorrow for oil filters and crush washers. My guestion is, what are people using as their first oil changes in their 2011 wrx. I know this has been talked about forever but i need someone to convince me on a company....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Shouldn't warranty cover oil changes for a while?
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    Mine are covered for 2 years. Just bought her 3 weeks ago as well.
    "It's a shame that stupidity can't be converted into a usable energy source."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TWlSFM View Post
    Hey guys. Should have joined this forum first it seems. Just got my 2011 WRX SWP 2 weeks ago. Has 1k on it so far. Ive been doing a ton of research on oil changes and am losing my mind. Im going to subaru tomorrow for oil filters and crush washers. My guestion is, what are people using as their first oil changes in their 2011 wrx. I know this has been talked about forever but i need someone to convince me on a company....
    A bit too early,don't you think?According to the manual your first oil change is at 7500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    The warranty does not cover oil changes.They will be covered only if you purchased a maintenance package
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

When I bought mine they said they came with a 2 year factory maintenance package. Of course they also tried to tell me it had a front lip spoiler on it also... LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dunc View Post
    When I bought mine they said they came with a 2 year factory maintenance package. Of course they also tried to tell me it had a front lip spoiler on it also... LOL
    The car can come with a maintenance package if you paid for it,or they included the price in the price of the car.How much did you pay for the car?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Unfortunately with the shortage of new cars from Japan I paid full price for it minus $250 the dealership took off to help cover our flight to LA to buy it. I think it came out to $27,500 or so. It's a base model with the SPT catback and a few other small options that they put on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The warranty does not cover oil changes.They will be covered only if you purchased a maintenance package
    yeah, yeah, that thing
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I did a little more research on what I was talking about. The dealership near my house is offering a 2 year maintenance plan with the purchase of a new Subie... I guess they are "including" that package with the car. I'm sure the cost is hidden somewhere though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I got my base for $24995.You got your base with the SPT catback for $27500.and seeing that the catback costs around $900,there still is a big gap which would account for you maintenence package.A gap of about $1500.

According to the manual oil changes are at 7500 miles.Let's say you drive the car for 30000 miles in 2 years.That's 4 oil changes at $100 each,a total of $400.So in all they stand to make about $1000 if the other accessories came to $500 in total.If you are financing the purchase you are paying interest for the maintenence package as well.

Also you mentioned that you took a flight to buy the car.I'm assuming that you will be driving quite a bit to get to your dealer?or is this package honored at any subaru dealer?

P.S.I just noticed that I inadverently hijacked the OPs thread.My apologies.Now back to his question about which oil to use.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-06-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: hijack
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    is this package honored at any subaru dealer?
    this is a good question. my dealer offers a "lifetime power-train warranty" but you have to buy a service package when purchasing the car (can't buy it after the fact) and take it in, only to them, for EVERY suggested service that they write into it for the life of the car for them to honor it. i'd assume it would end up costing a fortune after even just 60k-70k miles, let alone the life of the car.

back on topic to the OP. your best bet is to just follow the manual. it's 7500 miles like Tony said and suggests the type of oil to be used as well. i don't have mine handy at the moment or i'd look it up for you.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Well, about 28k was my total price including all of the dealer installed options, dest./handling fees, and all of the other BS dealership fees and taxes. Every dealership I talked to told me that they are selling at or even over MSRP right now because of the shortage in production. I was expecting to pay full price and the car is worth it IMO so I am happy just to have the one I wanted.

I live in Phoenix and we have a Subaru dealership 5 miles from my house, but they couldn't get me a WRB like I wanted, and they didn't have a WRX in stock to "trade" with another dealership. The dealership outside of LA had the only new, base model, WRB Sedan I could find on this half of the country so I flew there to get it. For service it will be a 10 minute drive with traffic.

Now that I think about it... the dealership in LA where I bought it didn't say anything about the 2 year package being included (turns out that was an offer at my local dealership). I told the salesman in LA that all new 2011's came with it, and he didn't correct me or try to sell me anything else so I figured it was a factory thing, not just a local thing... better examine my contract a little more. I may be out of luck on this one.

Edit: Sorry to the OP for my ranting in here. Stick with the instruction manual and the pros in here and you'll be golden.

Lol. Wow this is not what i was expecting haha. Yes i have oil changes covered by the warranty every 7500 miles i believe. Of course i would like to change the oil before that 7500 miles. The fact that this is the first year that they have put in synthetic off the back i cant find a straight answer on what oil to use that my warranty will like .

I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and have never had any problems. I've used it in my G35, 08 STI, and 2011 STI