New WRX Owner - 03 Sonic Yellow - and a Turbo Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner - 03 Sonic Yellow - and a Turbo Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hellooo everybody! I just drove up from Atlanta to Maine with my new WRX and I love it. I go ...

New WRX Owner - 03 Sonic Yellow - and a Turbo Question

Hellooo everybody!
    I just drove up from Atlanta to Maine with my new WRX and I love it. I go through cars pretty fast, as I usually just buy a used one and then sell it for a little bit more. I've done 4 this last year, but now that I finally found a good deal on a WRX I plan on keeping it for a while. They're my favorite - I'm only 21 and already have my dream car for $6400. From Georgia, no rust, almost all stock. She's a sonic yellow one, and while I was a little hesitant about the color, they really made that edition special in 03, with the blacked out tinted windows and extremely nice rims coming stock. Only 1500 of them in that year and color, and it really stands out.
    I do have a question though. Before I gave him the money, the only thing that I could find that might be wrong with it was possibly the turbo. I'm not sure if it needs to be replaced - I'm leaning towards it being fine, but I was just wondering if you're supposed to be able to hear it whistle with the windows down even with low acceleration. It certainly feels like it's got plenty off pull, and you can barely hear it with the windows up, but could somebody tell me how to audibly diagnose if its a tired turbo? ---While knowing it was possibly sounding a wee bit loud, I figured even if I had to replace the turbo it was a great deal. Plus I might be able to put a slightly bigger one on there if I do have to replace it, cause the only thing that isn't stock is the 3 inch downpipe and huge exhaust (and brake pads).
    Thanks everyone!
    -PeteClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Car II.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	98186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarI.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	98187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	98188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarIII.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	98189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarIV.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	98190

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo whine will be considerably louder than stock with an aftermarket downpipe. If the car doesn't have a stage two tune already you should get one because it should be tuned for the downpipe (not essential on your model, but still a good idea). You should also get a catless uppipe ASAP.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    looks good and congrats. As mainframe stated, make sure you are tuned for the turbo-back exhaust.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Oh okay, thanks a lot! How do I know if I have a stage 2 tune? Call the guy I bought it from and ask him? And I'll work on that catless uppipe - is that more for better performance or for health of the engine?
    Thank you,
    Pete

I Support ClubWRX
    performance and health. If the cat disintegrates then those pieces of metal go into the turbo and then your turbo is done. Calling the guy would be the easiest way. Another way would be to buy a tactirx cable and hook it up to your computer to find out if its stock or not.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Thumbs down

Alright so I don't think it's been tuned, but it does have a catless uppipe. The only problem with that is....that caused it to fail inspection today. Apparently every car 96 and newer needs a catalytic converter; but there must be some way to get around it if you said I needed it.

I Support ClubWRX
    You will either have to buy or borrow someones stock downpipe, there are 2 cats within the downpipe.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Do you suspect a stock downpipe will fit just fine and be easy enough to put on? Thanks for all your time and help with this by the way

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes a stock downpipe is easy to put on. You need to pull the intercooler, turbo heat shield, then the bolts from the turbo to the downpipe, then the connection of the dp to the catback. All you need to do is figure out what size the connection of your catback is. The stock dp is a 2.5" donut gasket, and aftermarket catbacks are normally 3".

EDIT: Actually you might be able to get away with starting at removing the bolts from the turbo to the dp as you do not have a heatshield over your turbo, I can see in the picture.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by pbrooks1321 View Post
    Do you suspect a stock downpipe will fit just fine and be easy enough to put on? Thanks for all your time and help with this by the way

It depends on what exhaust you have on your car whether or not the stock downpipe will mate up.

I Support ClubWRX
    They sell pieces you can use to mate your dp to your catback
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    They sell pieces you can use to mate your dp to your catback

Depends on what exhaust. One turbo back I had in the past was solid pipe from turbo to muffler, good luck mating anything up to that.

I Support ClubWRX
    That thing must have weighed a ton! My catback is solid and weighs a lot. I had no idea they make complete solid turbo back.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That really is a gold WRX

Welcome to the Forum, nice car.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    That thing must have weighed a ton! My catback is solid and weighs a lot. I had no idea they make complete solid turbo back.

Weighed less than my TurboXS stealth back.. it only had one flange. Probably one of the lightest exhausts there is actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast