Newbie to Subies - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie to Subies within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Or going FMIC... but yeah heat shields would do the trick. I've seen and heard of other ways to keep ...

Or going FMIC... but yeah heat shields would do the trick. I've seen and heard of other ways to keep the charge air temps down with cryogenic methodologies with a close-loop cooling system, but that is for some people who have money to burn, and besides...is it reasonable to be putting the foot in it everytime? I guess in Colorado the air temps at night and in the fall and winter months keeps things cool enough and charge air molecules all fat with oxygen
    Current ride: 2001 Kona Mama BMX... a classic!
    There are 3 types of people in this world...those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened
    Pipe Hitters Union member
    http://www.wheeldude.com/wdg/ul/inde...ery/5154_2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    With a fmic you need to have a large turbo, otherwise your making it worse instead of better. As i said, I am trying to get some i/c spray but the seller is busy.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Exactly how small is the factory turbo? Are the Subies the only car on earth that don't benefit from a FMIC? Hmmm...

Have you thought about an ethanol kit?
    There are 3 types of people in this world...those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened

I Support ClubWRX
    I am not sure how the turbo compares to other turbos, as the wrx was my first turbo'd car. I know the tmic is efficient with less piping though.

I dont think that would be good for me and i like the stock sti ic spray kit.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I meant "methanol/water" injection. The methanol is an octane booster while the water keeps temps down and cools your charge air (which is what the IC is supposed to do; in this case, you get the benefit of a bigger IC with the assist of methanol/water)

Benefit of methanol/water injection:
    - cooler charge air
    -steam cleaned combustion chamber and valves
    -drastic reduction in engine ping/detonation

Your windshield wash is methanol/water

check this link for more info Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting.I don't know how I feel about the injection.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

beats using the stock external water mist system, and you get the added benefits as I mentioned. Just worth looking into IMO

I Support ClubWRX
    But the install is much easier
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I suppose

Is a tune required for any turbo upgrade?

Yes, it is recommended. Why? At idle and at normal cruising, all seems normal until you put your foot into it. A turbo upgrade is usually for one that pushes more flow, and with increased air flow (more air being pushed into the intake) you will need a proporational amount of fuel to keep the mixture of fuel and air in proper ratio throughout the powerband. Too much air and not enough fuel will cause "lean out" and too much fuel and not enough air will be a "running rich" condition. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you must always take in consideration the flow of your injectors, the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, the turbo rating and the things that will enhance efficiency, and a computer tune to put all these things in consideration is a must do unless you like making more probs or creating a catastrophic fail condition. Find a reputable tuner, talk to him or her and state your needs/desires and go from there. In the end, you will save money and a big bag of grief. Just trying to put things in a simple perspective.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you know what you talking about now..
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Looks like you know what you talking about now..
    I've been around cars since the mid-90s and have learned from the school of hard knocks I'm new to Subies, but I am reading up on common probs and seeing that Subies do have their own issues, but things like increasing turbo size needs to have all the things I mentioned taken in consideration and actually done, just as you have said and demonstrated

Ahhhhhh! Man... it seems that I should be looking at newer models based on all the quotes I have been getting... It seems banks don't want to finance anything greater than 5 years old... Hmmm...what to do...

I Support ClubWRX
    A plus with getting a newer wrx is from 06+ they have 2.5l instead of 2.0l. IMO 06/07 or 2011 is the only newer wrx's that I would buy.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast