Hello from Montana!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hello from Montana! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, New to WRX, but not new to Subies- this is my 5th in a row. A week ago ...

Hello from Montana!

Hello All,

New to WRX, but not new to Subies- this is my 5th in a row. A week ago I became the proud second owner of a 2008 WRX 4-door in Dark Gray Metallic. I'm a bit of a tinkerer, so here's a list of the mods I've done so far (nothing big except the stereo and AccessPort.) *updated 8/3/11

Subaru OEM accessories (installed by yours truly):
    -rubber floor mats/trunk liner
    -rear cupholder
    -armrest extension
    -stainless steel WRX rear license plate frame
    -fog light kit
    -STI grille (STI badge removed), painted to match car
    -front underspoiler
    -mud guards
    -steering wheel audio controls
    -Subaru of Japan radio bezel for aftermarket head units

Aftermarket mods (some installed by me, some by shops)
    -OEM-style rear spoiler
    -window tint including top windshield visor strip
    -aftermarket heated seats kit with OEM Subaru switches
    -Niteshades tinted taillights (no tint on reverse/turn signal light lenses)
    -Momo/Subaru satin aluminum shifter knob
    -Perrin short shift adaptor
    -Stereo: Kenwood Excelon head with Bluetooth hands-free mic at the top of left A pillar (internal amp powers Alpine S Series rear door speakers), Rockford Fosgate amp under pass. seat running fronts (Alpine R Series component w/ separate tweeters) and sub (JL 210 box in trunk).
    -Carbon fiber stubby antenna
    -Billet aluminum front license plate delete cover with recessed WRX logo, painted to match car
    -Blacked-out chrome trim strips under windows with vinyl
    -Aluminum anodized black pedals
    -painted chrome trunk trim to match car
    -Enkei EV5 17x7 wheels w/ Cooper Zeon tires & Drop lugs
    -Cobb AccessPort (running Stage I 91 octane)
    -Stealth Bulbs chrome turn signal bulbs

Sorry for the long list. I am super excited about this car; definitely the finest one I have owned. I look forward to meeting some of you WRX enthusiasts!

Jer
    Last edited by Darth Sleader; 08-04-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: More mods!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Update:

Just ordered a set of Enkei E5s in black chrome, and black chrome Drop lug nuts to match. I hope to have them on next week. When they're on, along with my any-day-now lip spoiler and mud guards, it'll be time for a photo shoot.

Jer
    2008 4-Door WRX in Dark Gray Metallic

How did you do an aftermarket heated seat mod?

Hangie,

I bought a kit on eBay with heat pads and wiring for 2 front seats, with pads for both seats and seatbacks. I paid $115 including shipping. I followed instructions I found on another WRX/STI forum (google "heated seat ground location" or something like that.) It's a great writeup and I used it and the instructions that came with the kits to get all the info I needed. It wasn't easy, but I had it done in an afternoon. I definitely recommend taking the seats out of the car; they're held in by 4 bolts each.

One warning: take a look under your driver's seat as you adjust the seat height up and down. The frame of the seat moves like scissors. I accidentally ran some wires there, and after blowing a few fuses had to repair some shielding and relocate the wires!

Next step: I bought some OEM switches on eBay, and am hoping I can figure out how to use them instead of the generic round ones that came with the heaters.

Jer
    Last edited by Darth Sleader; 07-18-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Update:

With the help of Fox over at the 3GWRX forum (search for the thread there) I was indeed able to get the OEM heated seat switches to work. What an improvement! I really prefer OEM when possible. I have been unable to test whether hi/low work properly (it is July, facryinoutloud!) but the LEDs say they are working and I can definitely feel the heat. I might be able to tell tonight or early tomorrow whether the hi and low are different heat levels. Honestly, even if they were the same, I'd still prefer these OEM switches. I got the switches on eBay for just under $40 for the pair. I thought it was a bargain since they also included the wiring harness connectors and a few inches of wire (much easier for customizing). It may be helpful to note that these switches actually came out of a Nissan, but they're an exact match to the Subaru ones in every way, right down to the notch that makes it impossible to install them upside-down.

More details soon.

Jer

What's up Darth Sleader! What part of MT are you in? ...I'm in Msla...
    I found your post cuz I'm looking to paint my hatch trim black (instead of matching my color)...have you attempted this yet? Do you have any pics of your other mods?
    I just got motivated to start doing some stuff..in a few weeks I'll be installing a CF wing similar to the '09-'11 5-dr ones, and then maybe a front lip spoiler and footwell lights.

Hey! I'm in Helena.

Yeah, I just put my painted trunk trim back on the car today. Only took the guy a day to do it- easy. What parts are you painting black? I ask because I did the chrome strips under the side windows in black with a glossy vinyl tape specifically for that sort of thing. CHEAP and looks factory. Easily removable later if needed.

I also did the lip spoiler last week. I got mine from subarugenuineparts.com in factory paint color. Color match is perfect, and instructions and fasteners were included. EASY and it looks fantastic; I highly recommend going factory parts if you can!

Let me know how the footwell lights go in; I'm toying with that idea myself.

Let's get together and compare Rexes sometime. I have another good buddy who has one too. A full herd!

Jer

Did you take the trim off yourself? If so, how? I think I just need to remove the inside of the trunk casing and it will be easy...

I'll probably go cheap on the lip...

I took off my badges today and am painting "WRX" black and then just applying the rear. I think I'll also remove the subi badges and paint the starts red and the background black. I'd like to paint my rims black instead of buying new ones and paint my calipers red. I also plan on smoking out my rear light covers. Black, red and silver only...

I may buy this wing:
    08-11 Impreza WRX STI Rear Roof Spoiler Wing (Carbon) | eBay

....instead of buying a factory spoiler. This one would cost 200 + shipping and I could install. Factory would cost 360 + paint + labor so probably close to 500. I think this would look decent with the black and red scheme. Thoughts?

also, how much did the guy charge you to sand the chrome off and paint it?

Hey,

Yeah, I removed my own trunk trim. However, I have a sedan and you have a hatch, right? If it helps, I removed the fiberboard trunk trim, unhooked the wiring harness for the license plate lights, unscrewed 2 nuts and popped out 2 press-in fasteners. 5 min remove time or so.

I did the blacked out tails too, and they look fantastic. Let me know if you need help. It's easy but painstaking. If you have any spray/sand/buff experience you're golden.

I have not gotten to my calipers yet- going black at some point. I painted the calipers on my last car and they came out great.

Yeah, that wing looks cool!

Did you see the post on one of these WRX forums about black/red stars emblem? The one I saw looked killer. Check it out! Let me know if you can't find it.

Jer

The guy painted my grill, front licence plate delete cover, and chrome trunk strip. He did all the prep work; I did the remove and replace work. He charged me $100 for all. Screamin' deal! He does good work too. He does crazy custom cars/bikes/boats in his spare time. It's good to know guys like that!

Jer

I'm a novice, but willing to undertake small challenges....how difficult was it to black-out the tail lights?
    Yeah, I saw that post today...that's what inspired me.

Do you have any pics?

One more thing:

There's a place in Belgrade that powder coats wheels for $75 each (I think that's the price anyway.) Much better than paint! It's called Powder Coating of Montana. Ask for Mike.

Jer

Let me start a new post thread about tail tint... Check soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.