New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 9
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Drews I would definitely suggest doing your intake, tgvs, and throttle body. If you're going for performance ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I would definitely suggest doing your intake, tgvs, and throttle body. If you're going for performance I'd get aftermarket headers. If you want reliability then pnp your stock exhaust manifold and get a high flow crosspipe. I have a PnP and coated exhaust mani and high flow cross pipe sitting on my garage floor right now.
    I would take that exhaust for ya!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    Steel shot. The rods don't have a smooth finish, they are slightly pitted, so I'd be scared to do this to my valves.
    Yeah, since steel shot is categorized as "surface enhancement" rather than cleaning like glass bead is often used for, I wouldn't shot peen the valves either. If you're still looking to clean your valves, I still think a glass bead cleaning would work.

(if it makes any difference: I'm a manufacturing engineer for a company that makes case-hardened aerospace gears & shafts. We use glass bead on nearly every part we manufacture. It's been proven not to degrade the surface of the base metal, but still maintains cleaning qualities.)
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Darn, which I had glass beads around then! I bought some chem-dip and soaked my heads and valves over night. It worked surprisingly well! Not perfect, but they were really thick with black crap before. Most of it is off now.

I will be deleting my TGV tonight, and porting and polishing a LOT.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I will be deleting my TGV tonight, and porting and polishing a LOT.
    Doing it yourself or are you sending it off?

Quote Originally Posted by SubiefanParker View Post
    I would take that exhaust for ya!
    If it wasn't going on the LGT then I'd probabl sell it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here was my 'good piston' that fell apart when I was removing the rings..

but at least they didn't look like these pistons!

I Support ClubWRX
    i'm doing the tgv myself. and everything else. last night, i brought all my pieces that i'll be porting/polishing to the place that has a big air compressor... I'll be doing my uppipe, heads, intake manifold, throttle body, stock headers (already have a high flow crosspipe ) and turbo

getting kind of a late start, i have only so far gotten the wall and butterfly thingy out of the tgvs, here they are so far (rough)

And.. since I was polishing, I decided I'd fix up my intake manifold a bit so it didn't look like I just pulled it out of the Titanic:

This car has all of a sudden become my life. In my dream last night, the car was in my living room. Super clean and shiny and back together, and wouldn't start. I'm scared!

I Support ClubWRX
    so, i have some questions for anyone who has some helpful advice. the exhaust side is supposed to be highly polished, while the intake side should be slightly rough, but smooth, correct? how rough is 'slightly rough'? i don't have a flow bench, so does anyone know what sort of grinder/sander/wire wheel, bit, etc. would produce the desired surface finish for the intake side of things?

I Support ClubWRX
    all of my stuff on the intake side is smooth. My TGVs and Intake manifold were super highly polished
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Making great progress though! That's awesome. Keep up the good work!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    i also want to b*tch for a moment about the need to separate the engine block into two pieces. and the fact that there is a hidden bolt that is under something that you have to remove to know that bolt is there. and i'm not telling anyone how long it took me to separate these two halves.

I Support ClubWRX
    lmao
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    all of my stuff on the intake side is smooth. My TGVs and Intake manifold were super highly polished
    same

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i also want to b*tch for a moment about the need to separate the engine block into two pieces. and the fact that there is a hidden bolt that is under something that you have to remove to know that bolt is there. and i'm not telling anyone how long it took me to separate these two halves.
    That's ok...It's taken me a while to figure out somethings on the car that are now incredibly obvious.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    it will go faster the next time i rebuild a subie engine though! Hopefully i dont have to do it again..

more pics

rods aren't new, just peened. pistons and rods were all balanced and weight within .5 grams of each other now, my dad and i could do it, so why not?

after gasket matching my headers

Awesome progress! Lookin good. def keep us posted.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!