New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Haha.. it's just that I've found myself borrowing it every time my car isn't working. Which has been a lot....

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha.. it's just that I've found myself borrowing it every time my car isn't working. Which has been a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    The motor will not be in.. coming out tonight. It's probably going to be a PITA with the motor out too.

Depending on how it looks and how things measure out when it is apart, I may get it machined. Pretty sure my valves are fine, my rings are bad.
    Right. What I'm saying is if your pulling the motor to rebuild it I would just do the heads as well. They have almost 100K miles on them. You don't need all new parts (valves,springs,keepers). You can reuse the old stuff with just some new valve stem seals. Clean up the old valves and just relap the seals (if needed). Hind sight is 20/20 . You would be pissed if you rebuild the motor,drop it in and 30K miles later the heads are leaking oil passed the valve stem seals or the valve clearances are off. The 02 uses shimed buckets that require a special tool to remove the shim and replace. 100x faster to do will out of the car.........
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-21-2011 at 05:27 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    oooh i see. yes, i will probably do the seals on the valves. so far from what i can see, the valves themselves look pretty good. here are some pics..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails up.bmp   319926_10100310111790505_22410709_49686283_594362050_n.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    jesus. cause of misfire= piston, and rings, missing chunks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails piston.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    jesus. cause of misfire= piston, and rings, missing chunks!
    Holy cow!

Thanks for posting pics.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, excellent effort to get those out and thanks for sharing the pic.

Time to put some very serious thought as to what happened before starting your new motor with the old tune and hardware in place. Can we see the top too? Is it pitted etc.

I'm guessing this was severe detonation and the tune is all buggered up.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that explains it. Sorry for the terrible news, what a shame.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    whewww bummer
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah.. here are more pics. the heads:

You can see the really black one that had the crap piston in it, that was cylinder 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0167.jpg   IMG_0166.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    turns out my clutch and flywheel came out with the engine, so definitely replacing the clutch. i think i will get a lightweight flywheel as well. i don't think this clutch would have lasted much longer. not sure if you can see, but its worn nearly to the rivets. i'm surprised i never noticed any slipping or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0171.jpg   IMG_0170.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Take care though because too light a flywheel can lead to misfire codes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

damn, def want to find out what aced those ringlands.. How does the bore look? The piston is pretty scary, I'm hoping it didn't ace the bore as well.

clutch looks like normal wear for the mileage, def good to catch that now too.

Good progress, not so great findings but nothing you cant recover. Keep us posted!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	100167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	100168here are pics of random other parts. i still cant believe my car is in so many pieces. there is that injen CAI, and it looks like the uppipe isn't stock. other than that, i think everything is stock. i replaced an exhaust pipe with a hole rusted through it with the grimspeed one shown here. my exhaust from the turbo back is all stock. people have mentioned that maybe someone turned up the boost prematurely; how do i know if that is the case? how do you even 'turn up', (or turn down) the boost?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0172.jpg   IMG_0174.jpg   IMG_0173.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    the block actually looked like it was in good shape. I can still see the cross-hatch pattern on all of the cylinder walls and there were no ridges. i'm pretty sure i don't need machining. just going to hone them all. i ordered a new piston, a set of rings for four pistons, all the rod bearings, and the clutch release spring today for 262.00, not bad.

the block actually looked like it was in good shape. I can still see the cross-hatch pattern on all of the cylinder walls and there were no ridges. i'm pretty sure i don't need machining. just going to hone them all. i ordered a new piston, a set of rings for four pistons, all the rod bearings, and the clutch release spring today for 262.00, not bad.
    awesome.. and not all that expensive for rebuild parts either. Very nice. Granted if I were in the same spot the testosterone and habit of overbuilding everything would have kicked in and I'd have gone a bit nuts on bullet proof internals.. but then again that would be very expensive ( and I wonder why I'm still single ) ..

As for boost, if the car was tuned at any point in time boost might have been increased .. or.. a manual boost controller could have been installed. <-- without a tune that may very well have caused a detonation problem. Or they could have just always ran crappy fuel in it that might have caused enough detonation to ruin the ringlands too.. no telling really. I would suggest installing a boost gauge just so you can monitor after the rebuild. They're generally not too expensive and fairly easy to install. What they are, is worth their weight in gold when it comes to ruling out leaks or overboost issues.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.