New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 6
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by gogocricket So I'm in the process of this job from hell. I'm on step 17. The manual ...

Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    So I'm in the process of this job from hell. I'm on step 17. The manual seems to have mysterious directions sometimes, and I feel whoever drew these diagrams took a lot of artistic liberties. Need moral support. I'm dreaming about this.. last night, I dreamed I finished it but after I had lost my mind and had hair like the old guy in back to the professor. and about 30 check engine codes. a few nights ago i dreamed the engine exploded.
    Crazy, I was just thinking of you yesterday but didn't get a chance to inquire.

My only words of "wisdom" are: take pictures. You're going to want to remember how ****ty that job is/was down the road. Not to mention, it'll be nice to have on hand to prove how much better you are than the douches down the street.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Good thing you have Lindsay's LGT Drews hahaha
    ?

?
    Drews's's'ss GF's name is Lindsay...and she has an LGT which is all he has to drive around considering the other 3 Subarus he has are down, and his 60s Ford Truck is down.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Crazy, I was just thinking of you yesterday but didn't get a chance to inquire.

My only words of "wisdom" are: take pictures. You're going to want to remember how ****ty that job is/was down the road. Not to mention, it'll be nice to have on hand to prove how much better you are than the douches down the street.

Yeah.. I've been labeling things in plastic bags, and cleaning all my bolts in rust eating acid and oiling them. I've been trying to take pictures as I go too, but have found that I get carried away sometimes in a hurry to get on to the next thing and forget to do this. I hope I haven't forgotten so much that it bites me in the ass later. So far, I have 2 bolts and a nut with no homes. Not too bad for me, as I lose things a lot, and I have the radiator, timing belt, air intake, power steering pump and lines, exhaust, fuel lines, intercooler, and clutch cylinder thing off. And the transmission partially unbolted but not separated. Getting those bolts off was sure a *****. I live in MI and I have a car that used to live in West Virginia and it looks like they used to park it in the ocean. PB Blaster and breaker bars are my best friends. Even then, I am still decapitating bolts. The best part so far was when I spent 20 minutes trying to find the 'clutch release spring' before I realized mine was missing!

I was thinking of changing the clutch since I'm in there. Then read a thread about replacing it, and saw that he had to remove transmission, shifter linkage, entire exhaust, front axle. OMG. Ugh I'd be so pissed if it starts failing in like 10k miles and I need to rip it all apart again though. I don't know what I'm going to do on that one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Three?! What about finishing a project that you start? hehe

I say that now, I've got one Subaru, which I have not tried to put back together yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh yeah. And a swivel ratchet that I'm making my dad will to me someday. My other best friend.

I Support ClubWRX
    $600 for some used parts/some new parts to refresh a bad motor....

$1800 for new parts/new motor/less labor..

Sorry, I'd still choose the 1800 route or find used with warranty.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't able to find anything for less than 3000. Carparts.com had used motors, with no guarantee, for around 2600 with 140k miles. Mine has 100k. The closest one I found was three or four states away. I was told by a few different places that rebuilding mine would be about 4000. I found somewhere who would switch the engine for me for 500, which isn't too bad,but then, I need the engine.

I'm getting everything OEM from Subaru (new) so far, and my tab is at $573. That includes a set of rings, bearings, oil pump, and an overhaul gasket kit. I'm sure I'll find more things that should be replaced, and it will become more expensive.

Doing this really does suck though, so I can understand why you would chose to not do this yourself.

The engine is all ready for pulling tonight! I'm about 14 hours in to this project. I think I'm like 25% done.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't able to find anything for less than 3000. Carparts.com had used motors, with no guarantee, for around 2600 with 140k miles. Mine has 100k. The closest one I found was three or four states away. I was told by a few different places that rebuilding mine would be about 4000. I found somewhere who would switch the engine for me for 500, which isn't too bad,but then, I need the engine.

I'm getting everything OEM from Subaru (new) so far, and my tab is at $573. That includes a set of rings, bearings, oil pump, and an overhaul gasket kit. I'm sure I'll find more things that should be replaced, and it will become more expensive.

Doing this really does suck though, so I can understand why you would chose to not do this yourself.

The engine is all ready for pulling tonight! I'm about 14 hours in to this project. I think I'm like 25% done.
    Well I hope it goes well for you. I applaud your efforts. I know this is a pita.. but if you can take some pics of your progress as it's going and post them up so we can experience a little bit of this with you, that would be cool.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I Support ClubWRX
    Right but if I'm having an engine rebuilt I'm also going to have the block cleaned and preped at a machine shop. Not to mention having the heads rebuilt (new seals/guides/cleaned and valve lash checked) as they are off already. Pulling heads of a boxer motor is a PITA with the motor in. It's not like a V8 or inline 4 motor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Three?! What about finishing a project that you start? hehe

I say that now, I've got one Subaru, which I have not tried to put back together yet.
    Only one of them is a true project. I have a 98RS with an H6 swap that I've done nothing with other than pull the intake manifold off to swap the engine harness. I have an 86 Brat that is my DD. And aparently it decided it would be sweet if the clutch would go out the weekend I took my WRX down to do motor mounts, headers, harness clean up, paint my IC piping, and new turbo inlet. Lucky me! But my GF has a sweet company car so I get the LGT until I fix the Brat or put the WRX together, whichever comes first.

You seem to have a handle on what you're doing though. I know you want your car back, but take your time. You'll get it
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor will not be in.. coming out tonight. It's probably going to be a PITA with the motor out too.

Depending on how it looks and how things measure out when it is apart, I may get it machined. Pretty sure my valves are fine, my rings are bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Only one of them is a true project. I have a 98RS with an H6 swap that I've done nothing with other than pull the intake manifold off to swap the engine harness. I have an 86 Brat that is my DD. And aparently it decided it would be sweet if the clutch would go out the weekend I took my WRX down to do motor mounts, headers, harness clean up, paint my IC piping, and new turbo inlet. Lucky me! But my GF has a sweet company car so I get the LGT until I fix the Brat or put the WRX together, whichever comes first.

You seem to have a handle on what you're doing though. I know you want your car back, but take your time. You'll get it
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Right now I'm driving my boyfriend's dad's spare car- a 96 Saturn with 306000 miles. 3rd engine and 2nd transmission, more reliable than my WRX. It's going to be a tank when I'm done though!

I can post some pics in a bit.

Something about "3rd engine and 2nd transmission" that doesn't sound "more reliable"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Something about "3rd engine and 2nd transmission" that doesn't sound "more reliable"
    It more reliably breaks down
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.