New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 4
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; With multiple misfires, it could also be a cam or crank sensor, although they would usually throw a code of ...

With multiple misfires, it could also be a cam or crank sensor, although they would usually throw a code of their own as well. You might want to look into a garage that specialized in import or even a dealership. It may cost a little more but if it's fixed, it's worth it.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    With multiple misfires, it could also be a cam or crank sensor, although they would usually throw a code of their own as well. You might want to look into a garage that specialized in import or even a dealership. It may cost a little more but if it's fixed, it's worth it.
    More than likely a cam sensor than a crank sensor. A crank sensor normally results in no spark. Cam sensors make the car run like dookie but I've never seen it cause a misfire CEL. Could be your engine harness that has a bad ground. Have you tried unplugging the ECU and checking for bent pins? Maybe it just needs to be reseated? That's what I would try.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, the verdict on my 103,000 engine is not good. Compression/leakdown test said that I have about 70% of what I should have in cylinder 4. The mechanic said it was probably due to bad rings. Now, I need to make my decision of how I want to lose $3k.. sell the car for cheap, get a new (used) engine, or try to figure out how to rebuild it myself and pray...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    So, the verdict on my 103,000 engine is not good. Compression/leakdown test said that I have about 70% of what I should have in cylinder 4. The mechanic said it was probably due to bad rings. Now, I need to make my decision of how I want to lose $3k.. sell the car for cheap, get a new (used) engine, or try to figure out how to rebuild it myself and pray...
    Hit up you local forum on NASIOC for help. That's really the only reason I'm even on NASIOC. Redoing gaskets and drop in pistons is not that complicated, just time consuming.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    any idea of what this will cost me if I do it myself? i was told my head and block should be fine as they are, its most likely just my rings. maybe piston, but we wont know of course til it is apart. i've changed a head gasket once but never got any further into the engine than that. so far, everything i've tried to 'figure out' has gone well.. i just would hate to have this in pieces and then find that i can't put it back together or something. how complicated is 'not too complicated' in your opinion?

making sure everything is clean, measured and spec'd right and torqued correctly on assembly are the main and most important points to remember when working inside any combustion engine. If I were in your spot and I had the time I'd def pull and rebuild. Its pretty rewarding to fire up an engine you've built yourself. A feeling that's really hard to put into words. I've done many now and still get the same giddy feeling when it fires over that first time.

Granted this also is dependent on what sort of down time you can get away with. Buying a shortblock already assembled will be expensive but will be much quicker. Rebuilding what you have as long as there isn't any severe damage will be much less expensive but will be a longer process.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    i'm also afraid of taking a gamble on a 'new' used engine, with no guarantee on whether or not it had been abused and could possibly fail anyway, $2600 later. i was looking at car-part.com for engines, and engines with more miles than mine aren't going for much less than $2500. this is a lot of money to spend for me, especially for no guarantee that what i'm getting is going to better than what i have. my dad was telling me a story of how he replaced an engine once, only to find out that it was completely seized up when he had it all back together again. so far, i've done all the work on this myself. i've also rebuilt a motorcycle, so i get the giddy feeling you are talking about that you get from the satisfaction of doing it yourself and succeeding. at this point i have this emotional/battle connection to the damn thing and i don't want to let it beat me now that i have done as much as i have to it, and i've been fighting with it for five months.

does anyone have any information regarding where i need to look to teach myself how to do this? Where do i start? I'm thinking I should get a compression test on the rest of my cylinders before i do anything. they only tested number 4, since that is where the problem was. where do i find the information regarding the specs/measurements i need to verify with things inside of the engine? any info is much appreciated

first thing I tracked down after getting my car was a factory manual. It has every spec and detail you'll need in there.

Haha.. my apology, I forgot about the bike experience. (in my defense it has been 5 months since the start of the thread )

These really aren't too much different from other piston engines, they're just laid out flat. If you do snap up a used engine, I'd rebuild it anyway if not at very least completely take it apart and spec everything out/reassemble with new bearings/rings. That said, going to that much trouble you may as well yank and rebuild what you already have. The only advantage to rebuilding an engine while one is still in the car is that you still have something to drive while you take your time building the replacement heart.

new shortblocks are $$ .. anywhere from $3k- .. $$$$$ which you'd not have to disassemble and spec.. but.. make a huge dent on the wallet for the piece of mind. What sort of budget/timeline are you looking at? Knowing your situation better would help in getting you on the right track.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+1 on the factory service manual. They're invaluable.

I've rebuilt a couple engines in my day, but none of them boxers. Find me a job in aerospace/medical manufacturing engineering in GR, and I'd be happy to move out there and help you rebuild this thing.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah.. five long months of misfire nightmares. The thing is, is that the car doesn't even run that bad. So I was pretty shocked to hear I needed a rebuild.

My budget is limited. I want to get away from this problem as cheaply as possible (whether that be fixing, rebuilding, selling, etc.) and I know that no matter what I do it's going to cost me something. I'd like to go with the cheapest option. That would probably be rebuilding.. so yeah, I need to determine if I can do this myself. When I mean cheap, I don't mean that I would be reusing things that I find look like they need replacing once I'm in there. However, I'd like to avoid spending thousands of dollars. I think rebuilding my own would be a better option for me than buying a new one and rebuilding it.

This all happened yesterday, so I'm not sure about the timeline. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do about it all. I may end up with a car I can borrow for a month or so. Can I complete this in a month? Obviously this depends on the amount of hours I can spend on it that month.. do you have a guess as to the amount of hours this sort of project would take? 20, 200?

The other thing about the time needed for this, is that its getting cold in Michigan. I don't want to end up working on this project into November.. I would also like to get to enjoy my all wheel drive in the snow. My loaner car would be a saturn or a neon- not so fun in the snow. How bad is it for the car to drive it like this with low compression if I'm not pushing the rpms? Could it wait til spring, or should I hurry to do it now? Like I said, the car doesn't drive that bad. If I clear the misfire code, it doesn't come on for maybe 200 to 600 miles after a reset. I have a bit of a rough idle and acceleration is slow. Every so often I can feel the engine do a little shudder.

Again, I welcome all help/advice/suggestions/povs!

Where do I find a factory service manual/how much are they?

Welcome to another Michigander... if you can get a job in MI you can get one anywhere Though, I can't say I've been searching for aerospace engineering jobs lately.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd start with a second opinion on the compression.

Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Also, I'd not hesitate to install a used japanese take-out in spite of your dad's experience. Just make sure it spins first.

Good Luck!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty confident I have low compression. Thanks for the link! I'm thinking I'm either going to rebuild, or sell the car. Still thinking.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty confident I have low compression. Thanks for the link! I'm thinking I'm either going to rebuild, or sell the car. Still thinking.
    Rebuild! You'll love your car that much more. You'll get more out of it then taking the hit on selling a car with problems.

I Support ClubWRX
    How many hours are we talking? Anyone have a guess?

Anyone have a suggestion as what I should do during a rebuild besides rings/bearings/seals for everything?

How many hours are we talking? Anyone have a guess?

Anyone have a suggestion as what I should do during a rebuild besides rings/bearings/seals for everything?
    Years ago I had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket on my '99 Grand Am. We didn't have all the tools, and it took us ~3 days. I realize this is apples/oranges, but I can't imagine it would take more than a month. Not to mention, if you get stuck you have a few great resources.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me