New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 18
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by gogocricket Fram Next times use an OEM Subaru oil filter. The filter has an internal spring to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gogocricket View Post
    Fram
    Next times use an OEM Subaru oil filter. The filter has an internal spring to prevent pressure loss during start up. Your fram is now oil soaked and wont have that issue, but it isnt a good issue to have. I never use anything but oem for this exact reason.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good to know.

I Support ClubWRX
    it's odd i never had a problem with using Fram before though, even in this car, before the rebuild.

Makes me wonder if there was an air bubble somewhere...

Good to hear its acting normal again though. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.. and its not a bus or train!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Next times use an OEM Subaru oil filter. The filter has an internal spring to prevent pressure loss during start up. Your fram is now oil soaked and wont have that issue, but it isnt a good issue to have. I never use anything but oem for this exact reason.
    For real?? I've never heard of this. You have a pic?
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Same here.I only use the oem filter.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    For real?? I've never heard of this. You have a pic?
    its under a metal cap when you look down in the filter. Yes I iz super cereal

I Support ClubWRX
    it's odd i never had a problem with using Fram before though, even in this car, before the rebuild.
    You have also never replaced ever component in the motor and fired it up dry before have you.

Fram filters work but there will typically always be a slight pressure loss at start up after an oil change, or after days/weeks of sitting. The spring in the oem prevents this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    You have also never replaced ever component in the motor and fired it up dry before have you.

Fram filters work but there will typically always be a slight pressure loss at start up after an oil change, or after days/weeks of sitting. The spring in the oem prevents this issue.
    There are aftermarket filters that have the check valve in them as well. I know Mobil1 and K&N filters do, not sure about Fram. Two things I always do after an oil change is 1) Fill the filter with oil, and 2)Hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank the car for a few seconds to circulate the oil.

But I agree with you that when in doubt, use OEM.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

cut a fram filter in half and have a look at the internals.. it'll be the last time you use one. I was literally shocked. I dont have any digi pics though, if I did I'd post them.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    ha, good to know! cutting a fram in half seems like more work than I want however curious what you found though.

I put the tumbler valves back in (bought a 'new' used unmodified set), and of course it's running much smoother. I have noticeably less power however I think I'll save my valve-less set for later when I get around to either getting an access port or driving far away to get a tune. My boost gauge is reading much lower now that I have those back in there. I once saw 14 psi on my gauge with no tumblers. The max I'm getting now is like 8-9 psi on my gauge. Maybe it's unrelated, IDK.

In fact, the car is really running pretty well! No pressure issues, no more misfires. Thank God. Only thing left seems to be two CEL codes. I have an 0031 (O2 sensor) and an 0245 (turbo solenoid low). The O2 sensor is brand new. I had the code before, and I had wrecked some wires when I was trying to wiggle the engine in to get it to sit right. I bought one of those universal ones where you splice the stock harness to the new wires and plug it in. The mechanic said the code was gone, but when I plugged it in myself yesterday, the code was back. I was lazy and didn't connect the bracket that holds it in place... I wonder if I melted through my wires.... I will check that asap. If not, idk why I would have this code with a new sensor. I'm quite sure I connected the wires correctly, but guess I will double check that as well.

Does anyone have advice on P0245? I did install a boost gauge, but didn't do anything else involving the turbo. Could the sensor just be bad, or something connected wrong? What should I check to fix this?

I Support ClubWRX
    ha, good to know! cutting a fram in half seems like more work than I want however curious what you found though.

I put the tumbler valves back in (bought a 'new' used unmodified set), and of course it's running much smoother. I have noticeably less power however I think I'll save my valve-less set for later when I get around to either getting an access port or driving far away to get a tune. My boost gauge is reading much lower now that I have those back in there. I once saw 14 psi on my gauge with no tumblers. The max I'm getting now is like 8-9 psi on my gauge. Maybe it's unrelated, IDK.

In fact, the car is really running pretty well! No pressure issues, no more misfires. Thank God. Only thing left seems to be two CEL codes. I have an 0031 (O2 sensor) and an 0245 (turbo solenoid low). The O2 sensor is brand new. I had the code before, and I had wrecked some wires when I was trying to wiggle the engine in to get it to sit right. I bought one of those universal ones where you splice the stock harness to the new wires and plug it in. The mechanic said the code was gone, but when I plugged it in myself yesterday, the code was back. I was lazy and didn't connect the bracket that holds it in place... I wonder if I melted through my wires.... I will check that asap. If not, idk why I would have this code with a new sensor. I'm quite sure I connected the wires correctly, but guess I will double check that as well.

Does anyone have advice on P0245? I did install a boost gauge, but didn't do anything else involving the turbo. Could the sensor just be bad, or something connected wrong? What should I check to fix this?
    I haven't heard of a universal sensor working correctly - the correct one is Denso.

P0245 is either a wiring issue to the boost control solenoid, bad connection, or faulty solenoid. This also explains your low boost issue (running on wastegate spring pressure only).
    Last edited by mycologist; 12-20-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    the universal 02 sensor is made by Bosch..

I Support ClubWRX
    ugghh i want it to work and not pay 160 bucks for the one that just plugs in..

I Support ClubWRX
    My bad, I meant Denso. I was hoping to fix it before you saw.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb