New girl from Michigan with misfire - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

This is a discussion on New girl from Michigan with misfire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you have TGV deletes, you're probably going to need a protune to get it idling correctly. Sorry to hear ...

If you have TGV deletes, you're probably going to need a protune to get it idling correctly.

Sorry to hear about the loss
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have TGV deletes, you're probably going to need a protune to get it idling correctly.

Sorry to hear about the loss
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

I Support ClubWRX
    how do i go about finding someone who can protune, and how much does this cost?

I Support ClubWRX
    300-500

Search a local forum
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    300-500

Search a local forum
    Nasioc regional forums are your best resource.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for the loss, get that thing on a dyno. Unfortunately the roughness at cold start doesn't really go away but you won't have to keep your foot in the gas, it is just lopey til it warms up.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    So I was looking around, and it seems like there are 0 tuners in the Grand Rapids area. I would really like to get an Access Port or something.. another thing on my wish list. Until then, I'm going to reinstall a stock tumbler assembly. I want to make sure I have this thing right before I do anything else to it. That being said, my boost controller is sitting in a box for later.

Over the weekend, I installed my boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. They seem to be working correctly.. woo!!

So that pesky oil pressure issue was really making me nervous. 0 oil pressure when turn the car on, rev it a bit, get pressure, and keep it. But EVERY time I started the car, my oil light would be on until I gassed it a bit. Made me nervous! So, I tried to find out what was going on over the weekend. I pulled off the oil pump. Nothing obvious there. Pulled off the pan (twice actually), which really was a pain in the butt. Taking the oil pump off was way easier. There are a couple of screws that are just impossible to get at. After getting frustrated for like 3 hours, I ended up drilling another hole through the cross bar/support thing that the engine mounts bolt on to, to get to the darn screw.

Only thing in the oil pan that I saw that could be creating any sort of issue was the o-ring at the top of the pick up. I used a new one that came in my kit, but it almost seemed to small. You know when o rings fit tightly into a space, and then they squish and seal so they have a flat top and bottom, rather than being cylindrical? The o-ring I used there (only one in my OEM overhaul kit from Subaru that fit there) did not squish like that. I'm not really sure if it's supposed to, but I replaced it with another o ring that was a little bigger. When I started the car Sunday night after doing this, I had the same oil pressure issue.

Another possibility for the oil pressure problem I guess, could be crank bearings that are out of spec. When I called Subaru initially and asked if I needed to order a specific size main bearing set for my car, he said ‘no, there is just one set.’ So I gave him my vin and ordered it, and put it on. I only plastigauged my rod bearing clearances, not the main bearings. The rod bearings were all EXACTLY in spec, right in the middle. I didn’t bother with the crank bc I didn’t have any problems with it before I took it apart, and… I was kind of lazy. I figured with brand new bearings they would be closer to spec anyway, and any loose clearances should be tightened up a bit with a new bearing…

So I’m racking my brain for a cause to this oil pressure problem, and someone suggests main bearing clearances. So then I found out this weekend, according to some other Subaru parts person, that oversized main bearings are available (I had been told otherwise)... if I have the wrong set in there I'm going to hunt someone down.. So I decided I’d live with the quirk of having to goose the engine a hair at startup, rather than ripping it down to the crank again. At LEAST til summer…

So, I drove it to work yesterday, and couples times later, and guess what! My oil pressure problem has been mysteriously cured. No more problem there. My pressure is great, and no more low light at startup. I don’t understand it, but I’ll take it!
    Last edited by gogocricket; 12-14-2011 at 01:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, I feel like I may actually finally be getting close to the end of this, for real! I'll put the stock tumblers back in, and I need a new power steering belt, then I will have to assess how it runs, and go from there.

I'm starting to think about a downpipe with an extra bung so I can install my a/f ratio gauge, an access port, an exhaust, and a tmic. Some window tint, and maybe some body work. A large ladder fell on my car during all of this, and the engine picker-upper A-frame thing got pushed against my bumper putting a nasty scratch in it

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It probably just needed to be worked in so that oil was in every nook and cranny in the motor. Guess you just needed to "prime" the system and the drive took care of it. Glad to hear the good news!

I Support ClubWRX
    What brand oil filter are you using?

Impressive!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Impressive!
    I know I am, thank you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Fram

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad to hear its going well for you now
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Me too! I'm in the home stretch!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.