Looking to buy my first subaru have questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to buy my first subaru have questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone I am new to the forum and new to the world of subaru. My fiance and I recently ...

Looking to buy my first subaru have questions

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and new to the world of subaru. My fiance and I recently sold her Ford Ranger and have been looking at different cars. We want something sporty but also reliable and daily driver friendly. We were really looking at get a Mustang GT but where we lives it snows and her driving in the snow in a mustang is not a good match LOL. Anyway after looking around I thought to myself what about a WRX. I have always liked them and when I showed her a picture of one she fell in love. I know they have a reputation for being safe and reliable plus the all wheel drive makes it good for the snow but we will still get the sports car feeling with all the other good stuff. My friend owns a STI and he is the one who told me to check out this forum because my knowledge is very limited when it comes to WRX or subaru in general. We have found a couple different WRX's some are STI's. What is the big difference between the two? Also when we go to test drive them what are some things to look for? We found one a few hours north of where we live that we are very interested in I will attach a link to this post if anybody wants to check it out and give me their opinion. We are looking at the years 2005-2008 (that seems to be our price range from wht I've seen). Are any of these years better than others? Sorry for the long post but like I said I'm just learning aobut these cars and want to try and gain some knowledge before I go to test drive them so I don't bite off more than I can chew. Also I live in southern Utah if anybody around me has one for sale or even one that they would be willing to let my fiance sit in and take her for a ride that would be awesome (my buddy with the STI is stationd in germany or I would get him to do that haha). Here is the link to the one that we like let me know what you think. Cars for Sale: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI in Lehi, UT 84043: Sedan Details - 300785517 - AutoTrader.com Thanks again for any help look forward to learning about and buying a WRX
    2003 600hp Dodge Cummins
    Soon to come WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cars101 is your friend.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The differences vary depending on the year but its typically:

STI has more power than the WRX
    STI has different exterior pieces than the WRX (whether it be different hood scoop, wing or side skirts)
    STI has a bunch of STI logos (lol)
    STI has a stronger transmission
    STI has a larger displacement (2002-2005 WRXs have 2.0s, while STI has 2.5)
    Of course there is a price difference...STI being more

Look for any oil leaks, any modifications (try and stay away from a modified one), any Check Engline Lights etc.

Whenever you do get one, change all the fluids to good quality synthetic fluids.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Thanks for the help
    2003 600hp Dodge Cummins
    Soon to come WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Anytime. If you need any advice or parts, PM me.
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    Anytime. If you need any advice or parts, PM me.
    Did you happen to look at the link I posted? Do you think that is a good price for that car or should I keep looking around? Thanks again for the help.
    2003 600hp Dodge Cummins
    Soon to come WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't see the link due to the color of it lol

Its not a bad price, I would talk them down a little bit but I would take it. Also check Kelly Blue Book as well (New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book)

Thanks again
    2003 600hp Dodge Cummins
    Soon to come WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Want-a-WRX View Post
    Thanks again
    Anytime. Like I said, any questions, just PM me.

I honestly don't think that one in the link is good. It's got some mods. As to the mods that you can't see (engine), you can't tell just from that ad. But it has an exhaust, which could lead to stage 2 or something else. It has a tow hook added...for whatever reason...and the headlights have been painted inside, which is common. The stock wheels are also painted/powdercoated to a bronze color as opposed to the gold or silver stock color.

I'd keep searching til you found something that was guaranteed 100% stock.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    The differences between the 2 really comes down to 2 things - trans and suspension. If you're not going to race (drag or track) the car, save the cash and get a WRX. As far as power, the difference is negligible. When you factor in the weight and gearing, the current WRX actually runs a quicker 1/4 mile than the STI (Source: Car & Driver).

My only question is this - If you're willing to spend almost 20K for an '06, why not get a brand new WRX for about 5-6K more and enjoy peace of mind, warranty, better financing rates, no undisclosed mods/issues....shall I go on? Anyway, just a thought...
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    The differences between the 2 really comes down to 2 things - trans and suspension. If you're not going to race (drag or track) the car, save the cash and get a WRX. As far as power, the difference is negligible. When you factor in the weight and gearing, the current WRX actually runs a quicker 1/4 mile than the STI (Source: Car & Driver).

My only question is this - If you're willing to spend almost 20K for an '06, why not get a brand new WRX for about 5-6K more and enjoy peace of mind, warranty, better financing rates, no undisclosed mods/issues....shall I go on? Anyway, just a thought...
    Good point.

No to mention the payments would be similar with a low interest rates on new cars these days
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Very good point. Especially if you are looking more along the lines of a daily driver that your wife will be driving a good amount.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    and don't forget the insurance rates for the wrx vs sti.

And as for that car,you don't have to even look under the hood to tell that the owner had modded it at some point & may have been returned to stock.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast