2010 WRX New, Problems With Aftermarket Clutch

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX New, Problems With Aftermarket Clutch within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, this is my first Subaru Club to join, and will probably join others if necessary. Ill get right to ...

2010 WRX New, Problems With Aftermarket Clutch

Hey, this is my first Subaru Club to join, and will probably join others if necessary.

Ill get right to the point with my issue first issue.
    I bought a 2010 WRX and burned the clutch out. My second clutch started having a squeaking noise after about 5000km. I was told that this noise was the throw out bearing (release bearing), as the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal down. The dealer covered this on warranty, but instead of going with another OEM clutch, I went with an ACT HDSS Clutch kit. After the install I immediately noticed a similar squeak. I called ACT and they believed it was the throw out bearing, and directed me to adjust the clutch pedal shorter, slightly engaging the throw out bearing. This means that the throw out bearing is constantly pushed against the pressure plate instead of squeaking on it. They said that having it engaged all the time is normal. My Subaru dealer and I believe this is different than the stock set up, where there is an air gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate. Does anyone see any harm in setting it up like ACT says? I also heard a different more metallic grinding once in neutral. Im worried that I am damaging the throw out bearing by having it engaged constantly. I should also note that I tried loosening the clutch pedal also, but the squeaking persisted, because of the hydralic cylinders system, the only apparent available easy adjustment is to go by what ACT said, nevertheless, I had the Subaru dealer on the phone listening to ACT's suggestion, which should help in any battle for warranty, which is only 90 days... Any thoughts out there that could ease my troubles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You dont want the throw out bearing engaged all the time.. it WILL prematurely wear it out as well as not letting the clutch fully engage since there is slight pressure applied to the fingers on the pressure plate. This is a bad Idea, honestly I cant believe a vendor would even give such advice.

Side note.. the throw out bearing on my 2010 has been noisy since about 500mi.. I'm now over 52k miles... a little squeak may be worth living with considering its just a noise and not a symptom of failure.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Throw out bearing

Do you find yourself pressing down on the clutch a lil to avoid the embarrassing feeling of having a brand new car squeak! I had a bad feeling about their solution, but I do hate the squeak a lot. Subaru replace the old throw out bearing with a new OEM one, I believe I could replace the ACT one with the OEM one if it does wear out? Im pretty sure that ACT wont warranty the throw out bearing past 90 days though, so Im still undecided. Its nice not having a squeak! Are you on the stock clutch? On my second clutch I can see wear on the pressure place from the throw out bearing rubbing on it.

I am the type to not accept that their is no solution to the apparent world wide Clutch squeak problem! How many mechanics and technicians does it take to eliminate a squeak in a brand new car with a brand new clutch!!! Im guessing no one wants to take the blame because of the time it takes to drop a transmission to fix the problem! Is it not possible to adjust the Slave Cylinder throw manually? Subaru says this is an automatic adjustment with the hydraulic system? I must know more! anyone?

Ive heard several cases where people are saying that a slight contact with the TO bearing is normal for the fingers of the pressure plate...

slight contact? nah not really. Any pressure on those springs and the pressure plate cannot fully apply force to the clutch surface and it will eventually slip. There's a reason there is a slight bit of freeplay.

To answer your question, NO, I dont ride the clutch while stopped to avoid noises.. I purposely take the car out of geat at stops to help prolong TObearing life. Honestly my car only makes the squeal on cold humid mornings when first started. Usually by the time I drive out of my neighborhood its gone. Sometimes it will re-occur when taking the car out to lunch.. but rarely. I'm also still on the factory clutch so cant really directly compare to a aftermarket unit that may not have the same spec/tolerances that the oem unit does.
    Its also not very loud, likely drivers next to me wouldn't be able to hear it even if they were paying attention. Esp compared to other vehicles I've had with seriously bad TObearings .. when it sounds like a old skateboard wheel with foot off the clutch then you know its toast.

I'm actually wondering if yours is slightly touching the pressure plate but not enough to make the bearing spin, where the fingers are rubbing the surface of the bearing causing the squeal vs not touching it at all or touching it enough to spin. .. Only way to tell would be to disassemble again and have a look.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Well I called ACT and they said to disassemble and take pictures of the TO bearing. Im going on a two week road trip, guess ill back off the clutch and deal with the squeaking!

i have a 2010 wrx and i installed an act clutch on my car because im close to 380whp i drove it for about 300 miles and i got the squeaking noise coming from the release bearing i called act and they told me to do the same and take pictures which is an inconvience considering its my daily driver they also said i can buy an oem bearing and then send them the old bearing and they will reimburse me at the cost of the bearing i feel for you its a very annoying and loud squeak that sounds like crickets i find myself putting some pressure on the pedal to elimanate the squeak at lights and if im around car people if you found another way to fix this let me know

wow.. this thread is a year old now..

currently at 86K mi and still get the slight TObearing noise at cold start and at lunch on humid days. Still on factory clutch/TObearing too.

I'm thinking that if ACT keeps referring customers to remove the clearance from TObearing to pressure plate fingers maybe they've actually designed the pressure plate with some of its own geometry to allow the TO bearing to touch but keep the clutch disk from slipping. Dunno.. just sounds sketchy to me. I've installed and inspected quite a few clutches over the years and never came across a spec that mentioned constant TObearing contact.

I'm really curious how the OP dealt with this and how it turned out.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Back to the Clutch issues...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    wow.. this thread is a year old now.. currently at 86K mi and still get the slight TObearing noise at cold start and at lunch on humid days. Still on factory clutch/TObearing too.

I'm thinking that if ACT keeps referring customers to remove the clearance from TObearing to pressure plate fingers maybe they've actually designed the pressure plate with some of its own geometry to allow the TO bearing to touch but keep the clutch disk from slipping. Dunno.. just sounds sketchy to me. I've installed and inspected quite a few clutches over the years and never came across a spec that mentioned constant TObearing contact.

I'm really curious how the OP dealt with this and how it turned out.

Hey there,

Alright, so for an update! I went with ACT's advice when I started this thread and adjusted the clutch pedal slightly to put pressure on the TOB. I had adjusted this way for about 25,000 KMs. I decided a couple months ago to back off the adjustment to near stock. No squeak anymore... Ok sweet, BUT, I started driving the car and noticed other problems. First , A clicking noise when I pressed on the Clutch. I brought the Issue to the attention to my Subaru Canada dealer and they decided to replace my Master Cylinder and fix my clutch linkage to it. The clicking disappeared. Second, a creaking noise when I push my clutch that hasnt gone away even after the work done at Subaru. That sound is currently is claimed as normal and what Im living with, BUT now after driving it for about 1500km like this I hear a squeaking when the clutch is engaged about half way, and dissapears when fully engaged or fully disengaged! ... Nightmare... So for ACT's Advice to you other people with a Squeaky ACT TOB/ Release Bearing - challenge ACT and make them pay for the Transmission to be dropped after you prove that they are supplying faulty products with their clutches. Im still upset over the issue.

I Advise to just stay with a Stock Subaru Clutch for warranty purposes. I never would have had these headaches!

To add to my problems, I also have had another noise. It happens when Idling on a hot day with the AC cranked. Its not the AC, but when it engages, it changes the RPM and I hear a slight rattle. I brought it to the Subaru Dealer and had the car put on the hoist, left it running, and put it up in the air. The Tech grabbed a stethoscope to listen to where the rattle was coming from. It was not the exhaust at all, it was coming from the transmission area. I immediately expected the Tech to bring up my aftermarket clutch and the Tob issues, but he didnt. The dealer put an inquiry into Subaru about my problem and have not gotten back to me in over 2 months now. I hope the rattle is not my transmission! I have been babying my car since I put in the ACT Clutch and haven't done a single launch.
    Ill be starting this as a new thread on NASIOC.

Cheers

Were you not able to get your squeaky TOB covered by Your Subaru Dealer?