2005 STi or 2008+ WRX

This is a discussion on 2005 STi or 2008+ WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I know this is a strange question but wanted to get feedback anyway. Does anyone have a 2005 STI? ...

2005 STi or 2008+ WRX

Hello,

I know this is a strange question but wanted to get feedback anyway. Does anyone have a 2005 STI? Is it worth getting the STI over a 2008 WRX? The STi I am looking at has 83k miles on it I am going to test drive it this Saturday. Very few mods:

Mods
    1) ACT Performance Street Clutch Disc (2010)
    2) HKS Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust (Previous Owner Installed)

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would buy the STI over an '08 WRX, the difference is huge. If were talking '09 up, it would depend on mileage and maintenance. Make sure the previous owner has maintenance records so you know the car was well taken care of.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

The 2008 WRX and the 2009 WRX are a tad different. You might be confusing them from the looks of you title. The 2009 had a larger turbo, stiffer suspension, and a few other minor cosmetic things. I would go with the STI if it's well taken care of over a 2008 WRX.

2009 wrx vs 2005 STI pretending they are both well maintained is all up to you and what your future plans are. The WRX is great for bolt-ons daily driving... once you get past the bolt-ons the STI is going to be your best bet do to the tranny for starters.

If you dig around the forums you will get more details, but the 2009+ WRX does have a better tranny than 2007 and down WRXs.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't buy the 2005 STi. Unfortunately at those miles, the struts are gone already... and if not, they're about to be. You also will probably need to buy brakes, and a very expensive tune-up is coming up. If you're planning on heavily modifying the car, the engine already has some major miles on it, and you're not able to know how hard it was driven.

If you have plans on making large modifications (internals on the engine, brake pads, coilovers / struts+springs) then feel free to get the 2005 STi with 83k on it... it's a better car for a heavily modified platform.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks that is the kind of information I am looking for. I am not getting the 2008 and 2009 confused I realize there is a big difference between the two. I am asking exactly the question I asked if you had the choice between a 2005 STi or any year 2008 on up WRX which one would you pick assuming that all the cars have been maintained exactly the same way? And yes I know the 2009 WRX is a lot better of a sports car than a 2008 but a 2008 stage 2 with some stiffer suspension components would probably be very close to a 2009 stock WRX. I have read that the AWD on 2005 STi is better than the WRX and obviously the handling and overall strength of the car even compared to a newer WRX. The only thing I don't like about the 2005 STi over a newer WRXX is that it is smaller inside and the wing is a bit much so I might replace that and keep the STi wing for later and put on a regular WRX trunk .

I don't plan on modifying the car any further and may actually fix the exhaust and bring it back to stock. Thanks for the reply I wasn't sure what kind of maintenance I face with an STi with that many miles and for that year.

What is the price difference? My personal favorite of all subies is the 05 STI, so i would personally go with that choice if it is in good condition and was kept well. Good luck with your decision.

The price difference obviously depends the best deal would be about a 1k difference in favor of the STi versus a 2008 WRX. I personally like the 2009 WRX Wagon Premium, obisidian black however I really would love to have an AWD vehicle for the next winter and I also am torn between the old body style and the new body style and from what I can see a 2005 STi is on par with a 2009 WRX in performance so why spend all the extra money and get in massive debt when I can have a really nice car now and for a lot less money. The only issue for me right now is the risk factor of an older vehicle with a good amount of miles already on it and newer one with less but if I can get past that than I am getting and STi ha ha. Just out of curiosity why is the 2005 STi your favorite?