2008 Sedan with Automatic

This is a discussion on 2008 Sedan with Automatic within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a 2008 WRX Sedan with an Automatic transmission? I want to ...

2008 Sedan with Automatic

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a 2008 WRX Sedan with an Automatic transmission? I want to find out how they like the Sedand and the Auto. I am looking at two WRX's one is a hatchback 5 MT and the other is a Sedan with Automatic transmission. I am not interested in flame wars about manual versus automatic I am just interested in members' experiences with the sedan and/or the automatic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The actual brochure for the 2008 WRX indicates that you get better gas mileage with the 4spd:

FUEL
    Fuel economy (city/highway) Manual: 19/24 mpg
    Automatic: 20/25 mpg

And that the driving is adaptive so if you are doing a little spirited driving (called racing in my day ha ha) then the automatic will presumably shift at higher revs.

4-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Balance performance and convenience with the
    direct control of the smooth-shifting SPORTSHIFT
    automatic. Around town, driver-adaptive programming
    maximizes fuel economy. In more spirited
    driving, the transmission automatically delivers
    more enthusiastic shifting response.

Here is a link to the brochure in case people are interested.

https://www.subaru.com/content/downl...imprezawrx.pdf
    Last edited by PieceOfChum; 06-20-2011 at 09:57 AM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When my 2002 sedan (5MT) is in the shop I will borrow my parents' 06 Forrester (auto)... I despise the 4eat. It's like you're wheels are attached to a long bungee cord. If you have to pull out quickly into traffic with the auto you literally have to floor the car a good 4-5 seconds before you plan on moving.

Okay that is the type of information that I am looking for. Thanks a lot I am not sure if Subaru improved the automatic (4EAT) for the 2008 WRX. And 4-5 seconds is a long delay thanks. I actually prefer the hatchback anyway so I am leaning towards that more now however the sedan with the automatic is so my wife can drive it.

Idk if you have made up your mind yet, but I own a 2008 wrx Auto. I like it because i do a lot of city driving and i just wanted a fun drive to work, but if you were to go past stage 2 upgrades at all id go with the 5 speed. Like mainframe said it lags in the low end but not 4-5 seconds. The stock turbo is small enough that it spools up fairly quick so its got a decent pull by 3200. But dont expect to be drag racing on the weekends. On the highway is another story, a quick flip with the manual setting and it will out run a manual with the same mods.

Quote Originally Posted by subifreak08 View Post
    Idk if you have made up your mind yet, but I own a 2008 wrx Auto. I like it because i do a lot of city driving and i just wanted a fun drive to work, but if you were to go past stage 2 upgrades at all id go with the 5 speed. Like mainframe said it lags in the low end but not 4-5 seconds. The stock turbo is small enough that it spools up fairly quick so its got a decent pull by 3200. But dont expect to be drag racing on the weekends. On the highway is another story, a quick flip with the manual setting and it will out run a manual with the same mods.
    Thanks I really am not going to race it at all I wanted a great AWD car that was family friendly, handled awesome in the snow and was sporty. I am not going to race it light to light or any of that. I would never get past stage 2 might do a stage 2 but no more than that.

I happen to have a 2008 WRX hatchback automatic and LOVE it. I only have a few engine mods...AEM CAI, SPT CBE and had it pro tuned on a dyno/road combo. I get 26-29 mpg on the highway and about 20-23 city. It now has 300 wtq at 2500 rpm and launches instantly from a dead stop with no lag. We're talking well under $1,500 in engine upgrades.
    I do a 1/4 mile on a warm to hot day in 14 flat@98mph. 0-60 in 5.5 sec. The transmission is holding up great although at times I do wish for 5th gear for better mpg and less hunting for the proper gear in city driving. Although manually shifting can resolve that easily. There's virtually no turbo lag.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I happen to have a 2008 WRX hatchback automatic and LOVE it. I only have a few engine mods...AEM CAI, SPT CBE and had it pro tuned on a dyno/road combo. I get 26-29 mpg on the highway and about 20-23 city. It now has 300 wtq at 2500 rpm and launches instantly from a dead stop with no lag. We're talking well under $1,500 in engine upgrades.
    I do a 1/4 mile on a warm to hot day in 14 flat@98mph. 0-60 in 5.5 sec. The transmission is holding up great although at times I do wish for 5th gear for better mpg and less hunting for the proper gear in city driving. Although manually shifting can resolve that easily. There's virtually no turbo lag.
    i also have the same make and year as you. i only have an invidia cbe installed and am getting 24mpg on regular mode and between 18-21 on "sport" mode. i do get lag on when on the regular mode every now and then but nothing bothersome. overall, it's been a great driving experience.

btw, i'm fairly new to subarus and was wondering how much you paid to get it pro tuned? this is pretty much dyno'd and tuned "out of the box" right? how much would some thing like pro tune cost?
    08SubieWRXhatchback
    Invidia Catback Exhaust N1 Series
    The Bucket List: Invidia DP, Cobb Accessport, STI intercooler

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraBoxer View Post
    this is pretty much dyno'd and tuned "out of the box" right? how much would some thing like pro tune cost?

not at all, and $300-$500

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    not at all, and $300-$500
    Thanks.
    08SubieWRXhatchback
    Invidia Catback Exhaust N1 Series
    The Bucket List: Invidia DP, Cobb Accessport, STI intercooler

As previously stated by MainFrame...I paid around $400 for the tune. We squeezed out a LOT more torque and only a little more HP. I was going for torque anyway at a lower RPM though. We also got the stock turbo to push 17 PSI instead of the stock, I think 11.6 PSI is it...?...well worth it! Just make sure you take it to someone with experience. We spent about 3-4 hours getting it right.

One more quick question then. I am primarily purchasing for the AWD and live in New England not for racing, although it would be nice to have a little more power and luxury versus what I am driving now which is a Civic. So my question is how does it drive since the AWD is different between the manual and the automatic and have you driven it in snow? If you have driven in snow how did it do?

Well I live in Michigan so YES...I definitely drive it in the snow. The first year when the stock tires were new it did great...whether it was a light dusting or deep packed stuff. However, after a year of hard use and low tread it wasn't so great since the back-end would try to whip around a bit. This may be due to me having a lowered suspension and stiffer springs though. It's better than any FWD car I've had though and definitely better than a RWD car. I still recommend a good set of winter tires. The best thing about AWD in snow is the starting from a dead stop...no slipping or sliding...just goes...no matter how much snow unless it's deeper than your car's clearance. It's the turning that still allows some slippage. Good winter tires will cure that too though.

Okay I just wasn't sure if the difference in AWD meant it was now a less capable vehicle than the 5MT version? I have asked a Subaru mechanic and he told me that there is no difference in the AWD and I know that is false. Based on what you are telling me though I should be good in inclement weather. I most likely will take the REX into deep snow just to have fun I used to do that with my Eagle Talon TSI AWD.