Hatchback Phobia - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hatchback Phobia within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I love hatches and sport wagons of all kinds. Living in Europe for a few years may have refined my ...

I love hatches and sport wagons of all kinds. Living in Europe for a few years may have refined my taste for them. Hatches and wagons are just beginning to catch on here in the US, apparently we lag behind in what the rest of the world already knows in automotive functionality. My favs are the Audi A3 wagon, Caddy CTS wagon and the WRX.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would have loved to see how the 2011 would have looked in a wagon
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    I would have loved to see how the 2011 would have looked in a wagon
    Ooooo.. interesting idea. Can someone photoshop that for us?
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

I've primarily had hatch backed vehicles as daily drivers (85 jeep cherokee, 88 subaruGL wagon, 86Merkur xr4ti) only exception was the 07 corolla.. and I hated that I couldn't haul certain items with it.
    I likely wont own any other type of vehicle for a daily driver from this point on. Anything you pay this much for should be useful for anything you might need to do with it.

Besides, for a car that runs a 14sec q/mi .. I've brought home a 42" tv, assembled entertainment center, disassembled gas grill.. brought 6 Dell T310 servers 3 workstations and 3 monitors(as well as my gear) from Norfolk to Charleston for a work trip.. Hauled ex GF, 90lb American bulldog and travel necessities for all 3 of us quite comfortably to NY state and back as well as other trips. I can stuff my mountain bike in the back and my gear.

Why buy a sedan? OH.. thats right.. driving a hatch somebody might think you have kids or something crazy like that.. lmfao
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Hatches are (apparently) more aerodynamically stable than sedans, which is why for WRC in the last few years, subaru switched to hatch. That being said, I own an 03 wagon, and went with wagon for the sake that I have whitewater kayaks and a drumset to carry around on occasion. Not to mention, as others have said- it's so much more humiliating to those people who try to show off their car to some girl.. :P

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677
    2 reasons to buy a hatch... 1) I can fit my dog cage, all my camping supplies, fire wood, and the girlfriend in the car.
    Meh

The sedan could fit the the dog/supplies...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Cage that fits a 90lb lab assembled for the dog to lay in? No chance. HATCH FTW!!!!
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I prefer the hatch, especially the 09 body style. That's why i chose it!

Quote Originally Posted by katzuu View Post
    Ooooo.. interesting idea. Can someone photoshop that for us?
    Call me retarded...

But what is the actual difference, in Subaru's case here, between a wagon, and a hatch?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Call me retarded...

But what is the actual difference, in Subaru's case here, between a wagon, and a hatch?
    Mostly the owners. Both have five doors (as all cars should). The actual difference would have been whether the fifth door pivots before the end of the roofline or not. If you look at the 5 door Imprezas before 2008, they have something that looks like a Camm tail whereas a true hatch would probably not. In a wagon there would be two main masses, in a hatch there would be 2 1/2, and in a saloon there would be three.

There are exceptions but the Impreza is not one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    This was the explanation I once found

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes that illustrates what I am struggling to explain with 2, 2 1/2, and 3 masses. Some makes "cheat" though and have a 3-mass hatch (Saab comes to mind. Look at what they did with the 9000 vs. the Thema and the Chroma and the 164 -- these are all the same development work but the cars are quite different not just in the nose, but in how the tail opens).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i fit 3 bags of top soil 4 rose bushes a shovel and 4 bags of pond rocks all in the hatch. I picked up a new toilet from home depot.. it was in a huge box and it fit perfectly in the hatch was soo impressed. also just hauled three huge fake plants and they layed down nicley. i can fit 5 of those five gallon water bottles in the back and just bungie them down. u cant go wrong with the hatch. i think it looks awsome i dont know why people hate on it. my only regret is not getting the sti hatch.

Yeah I was thinking it had something to do with the hinge point or at least the placement of the hatch...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chefbabu View Post
    i fit 3 bags of top soil 4 rose bushes a shovel and 4 bags of pond rocks all in the hatch. I picked up a new toilet from home depot.. it was in a huge box and it fit perfectly in the hatch was soo impressed. also just hauled three huge fake plants and they layed down nicley. i can fit 5 of those five gallon water bottles in the back and just bungie them down. u cant go wrong with the hatch. i think it looks awsome i dont know why people hate on it. my only regret is not getting the sti hatch.
    These are all good points. The Kohler Santa Rose, Rialto, or San Rafael do NOT fit in the 4 door Impreza. The only toilets that will fit are the two-piece units, provided they are taken out of their boxes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.