Looking at wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking at wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, i currently own a 2006 scion tC, but im looking for something that isnt going to get me ...

Looking at wrx

Hey guys, i currently own a 2006 scion tC, but im looking for something that isnt going to get me killed in the winter. I had a few questions that I was hoping actual owners could answer for me. Since i can't drive manual, Im stuck with the a normal wrx, though I would love an sti. I understand that they stopped making auto wrx in 2008? So I will be looking for a 2008 wrx. Now for my main question

1. If I decide to get one that is factory turboed, how is the turbos reliability? any expensive maintenance issues that go along with choosing a turbo version?

2. Hows the cost of owning them?

3. anything you hate?

thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by sciontC; 06-18-2011 at 02:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are you in the USA? Then yes the 08 was the last year for an automatic wrx.
    Is there an objection to learning manual? I think for safety reasons everyone should know how to drive manual anyway lol

1) they are very reliable if properly maintained

2) aside from aftermarket parts and cost of the car, here are the ONLY expenses I've had the past 4.5 years:
    - 2 sets of tires $800
    - oil change $80 per year
    - insurance $110 a month
    - gas (not going to add this up lol)

3) rattles, my impreza seats, oem stereo (easily swaps out though)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    All WRXs have a turbo, so you can't choose a "non-turbo WRX". There is the 2.5RS, which has most of the body and interior stylings of a WRX, but has a 2.5 liter NA engine. I know people who have chosen one over a WRX since they're cheaper, but later regretted it since they don't have much "get up and go".

I wouldn't confine yourself to automatics only. The WRX 5-speed isn't the easiest stick to learn, but give it a few weeks of daily driving, and you'll be natural. They're all lots of threads on here with helpful tips for mastering a manual.

Also, an automatic WRX isn't very easy to find. They aren't very common, although the wagons seem to have them more often than the sedans. When I was buying a WRX, out of the 50 or so I saw ads for, only 2 or 3 were automatics. If you find a great condition, well-maintained car, I wouldn't let a manual transmission be a deal killer.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sciontC View Post
    Hey guys, i currently own a 2006 scion tC, but im looking for something that isnt going to get me killed in the winter. I had a few questions that I was hoping actual owners could answer for me. Since i can't drive manual, Im stuck with the a normal wrx, though I would love an sti. I understand that they stopped making auto wrx in 2008? So I will be looking for a 2008 wrx. Now for my main question

1. If I decide to get one that is factory turboed, how is the turbos reliability? any expensive maintenance issues that go along with choosing a turbo version?

3. anything you hate?

To answer your questions, though:

1. Very reliable, as long as regular maintenance is carefully attended to. My car has 90k, and the only significant repair work was a weak radiator hose that had a slow leak. Everything else was just regular maintenance.

2. Well, if you're under 25 and single, insurance will be pretty high. You can only use Premium gas (no exceptions!), and gas mileage isn't stellar (18 or so around town). Its not a economy car, but that's not why you buy one either, so for me, its a non-issue.

3. The stock stereo sucks no matter what year you buy (easily remedied, though). The build quality isn't as good as a Honda or Toyota, so yeah, you'll probably here some rattles on the highway, but it's not loud enough to be annoying, and I'm pretty anal about that kind of thing. What you have to realize is that subaru is selling a powerful engine, relatively simple, but highly effective AWD drive system, and a fairly well-setup suspension package for ~$25k new. That's Toyota Camry money, so they had to cut costs elsewhere in the car. That cost cutting might be a detractor for some.

Just my $.02...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

why a 08? if milage is a issue these cars last.
    1. it is reliable butt like any care if u mod az nd dont maintain and do things right then it will fail.
    2. fuel is pricey + turbo car= a lot of bucks. also insurance can be high.
    3. the location of sparkplugs lol. and it can be a head ache to diy maintance.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

learning how to drive manual was half the reason I got the car

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Is there an objection to learning manual? I think for safety reasons everyone should know how to drive manual anyway lol
    QFT

Don't feel bad I am struggling between a 2008 Sedan with Automatic Transmission (4EAT) and a Wagon with 5 speed (5MT). The sedan is unmodded the Wagon is stage 2 modded with Perrin Sway Bars (25m front and 22mm rear). 2008 is the sweetspot year for me since you can buy a WRX for under 18k with reasonable miles 50-57k for the two cars I am looking at. It is a tough decision both have clean CarFaxes. So I understand your struggle for the perfect one.

Quote Originally Posted by sciontC View Post

3. anything you hate?

Im not sure about the older ones but I think from 2008 they are calling it Impreza GT not wrx. If you want automatic maybe look for other cars, with 6 speed and better interiors, impreza gt came with 4-speed only if im not mistaken. Maybe get a ralliart. My selling point for the wrx is because it's manual tranny.

2008 was the last year for the automatic transmission in the WRX. The 2009 GT (with the option of a 4EAT) and is basically a 2008 WRX and the 2009 WRX is a faster and better handling car but doesn't have the automatic (4eat) option any longer. I have the 2008 brochure for the WRX and it was an option in 2008.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.