Does anyone have this mod combo?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does anyone have this mod combo? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The car is a 2008 WRX with the following mods. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this combination ...

Does anyone have this mod combo?

The car is a 2008 WRX with the following mods. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this combination of mods for that model year and if you have any whp, skidpad numbers? Does this combination impact reliability?

Suspension:Perrin 25mm front sway bar, perrin 22mm rear sway bar.

Power:Cobb catted Downpipe, Turbo XS catback, Perrin Cold air intake. Safe conservative tune

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have Perrin sways, and though some have had bad experiences with the quality of the endlinks, I've been OK. Good choice on the 25/22mm combination. Would have done that myself, but the 22/22mm package was cheaper by $hundreds.

Power wise, I'd say swap the downpipe and catback: TurboXS downpipe and Cobb catback. The Cobb catback is flat-out the best sounding exhaust for Subaru out there /thread. The Cobb downpipe, however, has a taper that may eventually be a detriment to power (well, not until the ~400whp range anyhow). The intake... well it's up to you whether you want to risk it. Some say the newer 2008+ LGT-style intake is restrictive and you will do well by replacing with a conical. I'm impartial. You'll see essentially the same power out of any combination of exhaust brands... the power and reliability are all in the quality of the tune. Best of luck.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

These mod have already been done that I am looking into buying the car. I drove it already and it was a very smooth ride compared to my friends Legacy which is a different car of course. The Legacy is sporty for what it is IMHO but nowhere near this one for actual drivability. I also drove a 2008 Evo GSR and the WRX was also a much much better drive in the area of smooth shifting and comfort. Power is actually hard to tell I would say they were even on that front. I just have very little experience with mods with these cars and I was concerned with the reliability, sounds good feels good and the gas mileage supposedly is 23 city. I just wish there was an easy way to know if the tune is correct outside of bringing it somewhere (?) and getting it checked.

How much of a handling improvement did the sway bars give you? Did you notice a dramatic difference?

zax
    Buying any modified car is a gamble. Get your compression/leakdown tests performed before committing. You'll probably be safe purchasing a Stage II WRX, but remember that the car won't pass inspection in most states.

For my 2003, sways + tires improved the handling a tremendous amount. For the 2008, you'll also want springs + struts as those were the major weak points of the 2008 WRX. Best of luck with the sale.

Facebook me here

I didn't know that it wouldn't pass inspection. I know the mods have passed Mass state inspection once so far, or so I have been told ha ha. I would need to get it inspected right away anyway and if it failed I believe the seller has to refund the money. Do you know or have experience with a Subaru dealership doing the compression/leakdown test on a modded WRX? There was a 2002 with 40k miles on it that I just missed buying because I went and looked at the 2008 model wish I had gone for that one the night it was put on craigs had a clean CarFax I pulled it right away. I was afraid since the 2008 model had just enough space for me to be comfortable and also it was an automatic and I wasn't sure how good the autos were in the 2002 WRX.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by PieceOfChum View Post
    I didn't know that it wouldn't pass inspection. I know the mods have passed Mass state inspection once so far, or so I have been told ha ha. I would need to get it inspected right away anyway and if it failed I believe the seller has to refund the money. Do you know or have experience with a Subaru dealership doing the compression/leakdown test on a modded WRX? There was a 2002 with 40k miles on it that I just missed buying because I went and looked at the 2008 model wish I had gone for that one the night it was put on craigs had a clean CarFax I pulled it right away. I was afraid since the 2008 model had just enough space for me to be comfortable and also it was an automatic and I wasn't sure how good the autos were in the 2002 WRX.
    The car is from a dealer?! Removing any stock emissions equipment is against federal law. That is, even if the downpipe is catted, the car is not street-legal. I do not know about Massachusetts inspection, but it seems logical they would check for these things.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The car is from a dealer?! Removing any stock emissions equipment is against federal law. That is, even if the downpipe is catted, the car is not street-legal. I do not know about Massachusetts inspection, but it seems logical they would check for these things.
    Private sale not a dealer I don't think they care about the actual parts in Mass. I can basically do anything I want to my own property they really only test for properly working safety equipment and emissions. I have friends who have totally customized cars but they just dial back the tune a bit before they get their stickers.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by PieceOfChum View Post
    Private sale not a dealer I don't think they care about the actual parts in Mass. I can basically do anything I want to my own property they really only test for properly working safety equipment and emissions. I have friends who have totally customized cars but they just dial back the tune a bit before they get their stickers.
    Right, but it is against federal law. Even if the state governing body does not care, the centralized government deems it illegal. I would check it out ASAP. If you can pass inspection, go for it! Legality hasn't stopped many people from modding

Facebook me here

Legality hasn't stopped many people from modding

I was gonna say, how many cars on here are actually street legal?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I was gonna say, how many cars on here are actually street legal?

Facebook me here

I believe you and I looked it up how insane I never knew that you couldn't replace your exhaust with a different one. I always though it merely depended on the emissions. Huh how intrusive.

Right, but it is against federal law. Even if the state governing body does not care, the centralized government deems it illegal. I would check it out ASAP. If you can pass inspection, go for it! Legality hasn't stopped many people from modding
    So pretty much only the FBI (and National Park Rangers, in said national parks) can technically ticket you for exhaust being changed, if states do not have statutes against it?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I think the law on this that is most critical is the states as it is state certified inspectors not federal ones that actually have to make the decision. Here is a link to the law and it doesn't outright prohibit non-factory exhaust but it sure would make it difficult.

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 16

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust. No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise,

I wonder how much it would be to upgrade the turbo to a 2009 turbo? Has anyone done that yet and posted their experience with it?

zax

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.