Yet another new guy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Yet another new guy within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just picked up an 03 WRX a couple days ago and I figured I would say hi. Here are ...

Yet another new guy

I just picked up an 03 WRX a couple days ago and I figured I would say hi. Here are a few pictures (info at the bottom):

Those blue hoses don't look factory

Short ram intake, I think

A few things I'm not too keen about. This is not an STI so I don't really want it badged that way. I really would like to replace these side marker covers with functioning side markers/turn signals again. Plus, they are all faded and cracked. I just don't want to peel those off and find out the previous owner cut all the wires underneath.

Also, it was debadged, including the grille emblem. Where can I get a replacement for that?

And, I'm not the biggest fan of carbon fiber accents.

This one has 107,000 miles on it. The modifications so far that I have seen are:

-Short ram intake
    -Turbo back exhaust (judging by the fact there are no cats after the turbo).
    -Those blue hoses under/near the intercooler
    -Turbo timer

During the test drive, everything felt okay. It idles smooth. Every now and then I might hear a small RPM change during idle but I think that might be the electric fan turning on/off (correct me if I am wrong). The turbo kicks in around 3,000 RPM, but only puts out .05 MPa (7 psi) of boost. I've spent 2 days googling before posting this so I have some ideas as to where to look.

I did notice one thing that concerned me. While driving during the first day or 2, I noticed a periodic power loss, or stutter, at cruise accompanied by a squeak/chirp. At first I thought it might be a momentary boost leak at the gauge since it sounded like it was coming from right in front of me. It hasn't done it to me yesterday though, or I didn't notice if it did.

Other than that, it runs great as far as I can tell. And I know, I shouldn't have bought a used, modified wrx, but as long as the engine doesn't die, I think I can handle most of the repairs.
    Last edited by crosscheck17; 06-23-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2
    Turbo back exhaust, Samco intercooler hoses, GM boost control solenoid

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the site. The first thing that I would do is clean or replace the air filter and clean the maf sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    Welcome to the site. The first thing that I would do is clean or replace the air filter and clean the maf sensor.
    That is in the planning for my next day off. I hope it makes a difference.

hola, and congrats on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    hola, and congrats on the car.
    Thanks

I'm beginning to think that the chirp/momentary power loss has something to do with a belt slipping. It seems to do it more with the A/C on.

it probably has a down pipe on it. ask the prei=vious owner if it was tuned. also if it had a catlees uppipe. nice car. also you can find badges and emblems on ebay.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    it probably has a down pipe on it. ask the prei=vious owner if it was tuned. also if it had a catlees uppipe. nice car. also you can find badges and emblems on ebay.
    I'm guessing it does have a downpipe since there are no cats after the turbo. I got it from a dealer, and they didn't know too much about the modifications, or they played dumb very well.

The dealer put it on a lift for me to inspect before purchasing it, and I remember seeing a cat before the turbo, which from my research needs to be removed promptly. Also, there was a piece of gasket missing where two exhaust pipes come together, which results in an audible exhaust leak. The leak is after the turbo, so I wouldn't expect it to affect the turbo operation. But, I have no prior experience with turbos, so I really have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscheck17 View Post
    I'm guessing it does have a downpipe since there are no cats after the turbo. I got it from a dealer, and they didn't know too much about the modifications, or they played dumb very well.

The dealer put it on a lift for me to inspect before purchasing it, and I remember seeing a cat before the turbo, which from my research needs to be removed promptly. Also, there was a piece of gasket missing where two exhaust pipes come together, which results in an audible exhaust leak. The leak is after the turbo, so I wouldn't expect it to affect the turbo operation. But, I have no prior experience with turbos, so I really have no idea.
    get the leak fixed its inexspensive and very easy to do also you are on the right track get a catless up-pipe asap
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks

I'm beginning to think that the chirp/momentary power loss has something to do with a belt slipping. It seems to do it more with the A/C on.
    That is normal a/c compressor surge.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    That is normal a/c compressor surge.
    I like the word normal. I played with it this morning. Whenever I turned on the A/C, I got the squeak/power loss. As long as it's normal, I'm good with it.

I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and nothing performance-wise changed. I also checked to see if the wastegate was stuck, but everything seems in order there.

I'm considering doing a vishnu reset to see if it brings the boost pressure back up to stock. Other than that, I am going to continue to check for leaks to see if I can find the cause of the low boost.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2

welcome looks good

I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor and nothing performance-wise changed. I also checked to see if the wastegate was stuck, but everything seems in order there.

I'm considering doing a vishnu reset to see if it brings the boost pressure back up to stock. Other than that, I am going to continue to check for leaks to see if I can find the cause of the low boost.
    Did you replace the nasty ass air filter yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    Did you replace the nasty ass air filter yet?
    Oh yeah, I'll do that after work today if I leave early enough.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2

I went to the auto parts store and they didn't have an air filter that would fit on the intake. The intake opening is ~4 3/8" and the biggest thing they had would fit a 4" intake. I got a cleaning kit instead.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast