New WRX owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, Been viewing the forums for a while but now that I am finally a Subaru owner I feel ...

New WRX owner

Hi guys,
    Been viewing the forums for a while but now that I am finally a Subaru owner I feel happy to be a part of the community

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6069/img0545hj.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8489/img0544ua.jpg

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4224/img0543a.jpg
    http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5972/img0542mj.jpg

Picked up this 2002 WRX yesterday for $4500. It has 182k miles and is bone stock...bought from a older guy who was the original owner since 02, and I have reason to believe him when he says the car was never abused/launched/raced. The interior is a 9/10 and exterior maybe a 7/10 with some scratches and dents but nothing too bad.
    Now I had read up on the reliability of these and have heard of a well taken care of WRX lasting well beyond 200k..Have also read about the transmission problems and am being wary of that.
    The turbo is the original and has held up for this long, so I will see about replacing it. Probably before 200k, I will swap the engine.

Other than that, I was hoping to hear from some more experinced WRX owners of how to take care of this beast and what to look out for on a high mileage WRX.
    zx6rexx is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, just follow the book, it's worked great this far so no reason to change anything.

Changing an engine and turbo will cost more than the price of the car at that stage and can only be sensibly done if they fail IMO. There is no reason to expect them to fail so just enjoy it for what it is until that happens, then see what the prices are like.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks. I did notice something strange today.. I was cruising around in my neighborhood (dont have insurance yet) in second gear and when I shifted to 3rd, there seemed to be no pull at all and the needle was not moving much even when I was putting my foot quite hard on the throttle...maybe I was just going too slow but I will see if I might have some broken or worn synchros..

Transmission problems?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

That's a safety feature...it only happens when you drive with no insurance...even in your neighborhood! Lol! J/k!

Seriously though...what's the speed limit in your neighborhood...I'm gonna assume 10-15 mph...so if you were going 10 or so in 3rd gear...that could be why...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    That's a safety feature...it only happens when you drive with no insurance...even in your neighborhood! Lol! J/k!

Seriously though...what's the speed limit in your neighborhood...I'm gonna assume 10-15 mph...so if you were going 10 or so in 3rd gear...that could be why...
    Haha!

I tried again earlier and I think I might have a broken second to third gear synchro... The needle falls flat and there is a shaking sound from second to third but when I shift from 4th to 3rd the gear engages and is normal..
    How hard is it to replace one of these synchros? Im all about saving money and doing things myself I just need more time these days

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.