Hoping to be a new wrx owner to join the ranks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hoping to be a new wrx owner to join the ranks within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had a love affair with subaru hatchbacks for a while now. I've never owned one but I'm hoping to ...

Hoping to be a new wrx owner to join the ranks

I've had a love affair with subaru hatchbacks for a while now. I've never owned one but I'm hoping to change that. I'm looking to get a 2009-2011 hatch. It seems like a lot of the the used ones that I'm interested in are practically the same price as a new one. Is this normal or can it also be attributed to inflation of prices of whats available because of the setback Japanese automakers have suffered from the earthquake? I told myself I'd never buy a new car again (currently own a 2010 Kia Forte SX) but I'm starting to reconsider. Personal inputs on new vs. used?

Also I'd love to hear any suggestions on which years you prefer. I love the looks of the 2011, I don't think there is much mechanical difference between the 09-11's. If that's wrong, feel free to correct me.

I was also looking at the "high mileage club" thread. Seems like most of the people on there are like 04-06's or so. Can we expect the newer model years to last for that many miles on mostly stock internals as well as long as it isn't abused? Thank you so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!

As for which year would be better out of the 09-11 it is really personal preference to be honest. The major noticeable changes on the 11 are the wide body kit and the new wheel package.

I would do a few searches on here to find some other threads about this because there are plenty and you will get your answers a lot easier then making a lot of people repeat what they already ha lol. Good luck on the search!

I read recently that used vehicle prices are at a all-time high right now. Couple that with the fantastic 2011 WRX resale value (Consumer Reports I think), you're prolly not going to see much of a discount on these used cars. (That's not to say deals can't be found).

I bought new because I plan to hold on to this car forever. It is that reason resale value doesn't make much difference to me. I was also paranoid that I'd buy a car that some kid trashed...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    I was also paranoid that I'd buy a car that some kid trashed...
    This is certainly one of my fears about purchasing a car like this new. You're right about used cars being more expensive than ever too. I completely forgot about that. Maybe I'll have to buy a 2011 after all.... I am quite a fan of the wide body kit after all.... Now I need to decided if I want the WRX or the STI =P Although I think I really like the WRX Limited. I certainly want a moonroof, and I want the hatch. Can't get a hatchback sti limited =[

good luck with your choice whichever you choose, the wrx and sti are kinda hard to come by now, unless a dealer has one on the lot your going to have to order one which takes FOREVER! either way you will be happy in with either

I agree with several other posters...I think you'd be insane to pay $3000 less for a car with 20k unknown miles on it. My 2011 has *gasp* 11,000 miles on it already, and I couldn't be happier with it (well, unless subaru used better paint).

Good luck in the search...they're hard to come by now but they're still out there.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Yeah I think I'd probably have to order one and wait. It's disappointing to hear that the paint doesn't hold up well. I'm already experiencing that with my Forte. I know some people who've gotten 3M clear coats. Anyone know if that offers any extra protection?

Quote Originally Posted by joechicklets View Post
    Yeah I think I'd probably have to order one and wait. It's disappointing to hear that the paint doesn't hold up well. I'm already experiencing that with my Forte. I know some people who've gotten 3M clear coats. Anyone know if that offers any extra protection?
    Hey man just letting you know there are 3 wrxs at Paul miller Subaru in parsipanny new jersey. I see you're from jersey so hopefully you can hop on this if you are ready to buy now looks like the dark grey one is a limited also so I would check them out ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by skudda33 View Post
    Hey man just letting you know there are 3 wrxs at Paul miller Subaru in parsipanny new jersey. I see you're from jersey so hopefully you can hop on this if you are ready to buy now looks like the dark grey one is a limited also so I would check them out ASAP
    Thanks a lot for giving me the heads up. I would go, but I won't have the extra down payment money I want to put down for probably another month or two. I'm hoping to get about 10-15k for my trade-in and I'd also like to put down another 5k or so to lower those monthly payments as much as I can ya know?

I heard about the paint issues as well, don't forget that the warrenty covers paint defects. I had a issue with 3M clear bras in the past where it yellowed about four months after waxing....its because of that ill never touch clearbra again...that crap isn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by spaztic1 View Post
    I heard about the paint issues as well, don't forget that the warrenty covers paint defects. I had a issue with 3M clear bras in the past where it yellowed about four months after waxing....its because of that ill never touch clearbra again...that crap isn't cheap.
    Oh wow sorry to hear that. I'll keep that in mind. Yeah the warranty covers paint defects, but if it's just cheap paint that chips a lot everything will be attributed to road debris. I have scratches all over my Forte. I brought it to the dealership to try and get it covered under warranty. I was told by the manager they were ALL due to rock chips (even paint that has chipped off on the back window pillar and has begun rusting). He also said "it's a consequence of living in NJ" and wouldn't cover any of it =/

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a clear bra,have had it for 4 months now.Couldn't be happier.Even my dealer was amazed at how good it looked.It is not 3M.I regularly wax the car.This is the first time I'm hearing of yellowing issues with the newer clear bras.

Also ,warranties cover paint defects?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I have a clear bra,have had it for 4 months now.Couldn't be happier.Even my dealer was amazed at how good it looked.It is not 3M.I regularly wax the car.This is the first time I'm hearing of yellowing issues with the newer clear bras.

Also ,warranties cover paint defects?
    I had the clearbra a few years back when I was in the Navy, I can't speak for the new product but I did get my money back because it did yellow. Of course the warranty will cover the exterior of the car if it was a defect from the factory. Anyone remember the 1st generation neon? those cars had a adhesion problem were the paint would literally fall off.

Also wanted to add, I've only ever owned automatics. I've driven stick a handful of times and have the basic understanding of it down. I can drive it... just not too well lol. The thing that tends to challenge me is smoothly getting into first, I lurch a fair amount. Once I'm going I'm fine though. Any tips for a stickshift noobie?

Also wanted to add, I've only ever owned automatics. I've driven stick a handful of times and have the basic understanding of it down. I can drive it... just not too well lol. The thing that tends to challenge me is smoothly getting into first, I lurch a fair amount. Once I'm going I'm fine though. Any tips for a stickshift noobie?

I'm almost 30 & have had a bunch of manual cars. My 09 wrx is by far the easiest to drive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.