Few questions (TURBO)

This is a discussion on Few questions (TURBO) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Buddy of mine has an 04 STI... He thinks he blew his turbo (Lives about a hour away) Im going ...

Few questions (TURBO)

Buddy of mine has an 04 STI... He thinks he blew his turbo (Lives about a hour away) Im going to stop over tomorrow and prob. pull it off for him... what are the signs of a blown turbo and what things will you harm by driving it. Hes got no other vehicle and drove it to and from work a few times. Also what turbo comes stock on the 04 sti

Thanks for the help all

BTW: Still searching.... Ill be an owner soon lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Vf39 signs are blue smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust. Also he should not drive it if turbo is not working if you pull it off check for shaft play. Good luck. And u can find them used for a good price make sure u know every mod done to the car and his driving style.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

The only mods are a catless downpipe and magnaflow exhaust... Driving style changed after he blew the turbo.... conservative conservative

Did he get a tune for the tbe? If not that could have been the reason it blew.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I don't think the TBE would blow the turbo. Un-tuned the TBE can cause a lean condition. If I am correct, that is the reason for the tune.

I dont think He had it tuned... He said he didnt notice the CE light until the turbo went, Im thinking its from the cat-less DP... Would the turbo trip the light what code... If it is the turbo, Outside of finding out why it went do I just have to bolt on the new one

Thanks guys I appreciate the help/info... I havent done much work on turbo vehicles so I really dont know all the signs and or other items damaged by blowing a turbo. So any extra info you can give me is great,

If it broke apart the metal pieces may have entered the intake and even the engine. There could also be bits in the oil. Also what is leading him to the conclusion it is the turbo?

He said it smokes on start up and its not spinning.... Cold start smokes for about a minute