Anything 03-04 changes a still newbie-ish guy should know? +1-2 more questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anything 03-04 changes a still newbie-ish guy should know? +1-2 more questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Miracle upon miracles, I sold my semi clapped 03 sedan, and 20minutes later bought a MINT 04 wagon. I can't ...

Anything 03-04 changes a still newbie-ish guy should know? +1-2 more questions

Miracle upon miracles, I sold my semi clapped 03 sedan, and 20minutes later bought a MINT 04 wagon.

I can't say how happy I am about that.

The 03 was rattly, notched and difficult to shift, suspension crunched when weight transfered, check engine lite wouldn't go out, air bag light on, odd noises, smelled like coolant, mystery mold smells in cab, rebuilt title, the list goes on.

The 04 was woman owned, 100% unmolested, literally drives like a new car. Nary a scratch can be located.

I notice a few changes:
    *rear mirrors, door mounted are updated
    *dash is updated, tach, speedo, etc
    *minor tweaks on steering wheel, like cruise knob
    *rear of car, bumper, brake lights
    *hood and turbo scoop slightly different

What else is different? Anything I should know about??

Someone please talk to me about the Timing Belt.
    112k on the car, and they've got to have been gentle miles, the car is dead nuts perfect, smooth, tight, quiet (can hardly even hear the turbo).

Should I change it now?
    Whats the WORST that happens if I just drive it?
    --> It breaks while driving? --> what would that mean, other than stranded??

What else should I be on the lookout for???

Courtesy photo, taken this morning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Change it asap if it breaks it will be catastrphic its time for it to be changed. Welcome to club
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

If it breaks and jumps timing it damages the pistons as they smash into the valves, damaging those as well. Then the metal bits bounce around in your engine. You may get lucky but probably not. Replace it ASAP or be ready to replace the motor. It just happened to a friend of mine with an 05 WRX 95,000 miles. A pulley seized and wore through the belt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    What else is different?
    The ECU changed so the car is less tolerant of exhaust modifications without a remap. The suspension changed WRT the mounts used. The electricals changed slightly, as did the seats. The radiator and overflow scheme changed. The wheel bearings may have, I don't remember.

Someone please talk to me about the Timing Belt.
    Nothing to say. Subaru said it all in the owner's manual. The car is overdue. A failure will cost thousands. My belt looked great when I did it but I did it anyway. Do the pump and all rollers too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.