Just got a 2002 WRX..

This is a discussion on Just got a 2002 WRX.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought a 02 WRX 5sp with 156k on it.. Its a one owner car with a ridiculously detailed car ...

Just got a 2002 WRX..

Just bought a 02 WRX 5sp with 156k on it.. Its a one owner car with a ridiculously detailed car fax that includes a 38 point vehicle history report. It's white and in very good condition. I just had a couple of questions, this being the noob forum and what not. EVERYTHING was taken to the same Subaru dealer, even wipe blade replacements. So I would assume that all the scheduled/preventative maintenance has been done, i.e. timing components, suspension components, regular fluids flushed, etc.

Just wanted some feedback on what I should do in the future to keep my car in great working order. I do not think that it has been changed to synthetic oil. Any weight or brand suggestions? Where can I buy Amsoil? Are Amsoil or Eneos better than Mobil 1? Anything is helpful. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_WRX View Post
    Just wanted some feedback on what I should do in the future to keep my car in great working order.
    Follow the owner's manual to the letter. That's apparently what's been done so far, and so far, so good, right?

I do not think that it has been changed to synthetic oil.
    It doesn't matter.

Any weight or brand suggestions?
    Suggestions are meaningless. What matters is what the manufacturer requires. This info is in the owner's manual. Find an oil you like that meets those specifications and use it at the correct intervals. Check the oil level routinely and keep it topped up.

Where can I buy Amsoil?
    Amsoil may be a competent oil but their multilevel marketing strategy is not something I find to be tasteful. Just follow the hype, there will be an Amsoil user that happens to also sell the stuff ready to take an order.

Are Amsoil or Eneos better than Mobil 1?
    I have seen no data to support that. In my motor, M1 generated single-digit wear numbers for all critical metals assayed. This implies any "improvement" would be within the margin of error.

Anything is helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Read the owner's manual cover to cover, and follow it. The car has come this far, there must be truth in there.

To be fair, Amsoil have been very helpful in personal communication (I asked them if it's true they don't sell only true synthetics, and they confirmed it with no reservations -- quickly and honorably). Also to be fair, I now use Shell in my motor (basically I will use any 0W-40 or 5W-40 that's on sale, shopping solely on price at this stage; if Amsoil were on the shelf and competitively priced in 0W- or 5W-40, I'd pick that up too just as I'd pick up Shell or M1 or Castrol etc.).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-05-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm new also, but I got my '02 and put Mobil 1 (15-40 I believe) in it right away. I just put a new uppipe in it yesterday. Read up on those, because they can be as much preventative maintenance as an affordable minor power mod.

Kind of funny because for as much maintenance that has been done to the car it did not come with the owners manual. I did download the factory service manual but haven't read into it much yet. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.

I Support ClubWRX
    One note about oil viscosity: match it with the chart of recommendations in the owner's manual depending on the temperatures seen in your area. Also keep in mind consumption can vary widely between oils, so keep checking it and top it up routinely.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of people have had bad experiences with Mobil 1 5W-30 (myself included). I have seen analysis done at less than 1,000 miles where the oil had already sheared to less than 20 weight. Personally I would stay away from it in a turbo charged car.

Amsoil is good, but too pricy for me. I use Rotella T6 5W-40, but there's plenty of other good oils out there..

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Produ...BARU+IMPREZA+D

Just read this on the Amsoil website.. any one have issues with this?

Sent from my Inspire 4G.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your motor is not affected by the screen issue as far as I can tell. Again honorably, Amsoil refrained on that site from recommending a gear oil. If you want to spend on them go ahead, they do mean well.

I am just trying to weigh my options. I will probably not go with Amsoil because it is so expensive. I probably won't even change it over to synthetic yet. Should I do an engine flush? I do not plan on modifying the motor anytime soon, just need a reliable daily until I can pay the rest of the car off.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.

I Support ClubWRX
    It would seem you already have a reliable daily given what you have said about the car.

i've used castrol syntec on my 2002 wrx for 7 years now without any issues. not saying its the best, just one data point with my experience.
    --- 1999 Impreza WRX STI JDM Version 5 Sedan ----

Here she is.. It's a very big upgrade from my last two cars: a 93 and a 91 240sx coupe. Loved those cars but I am completely in love with my bugeye.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1307340839716.jpg  
    Last edited by Indy_WRX; 06-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.

More pictures... new and olds.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1307341041782.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1307341095376.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1307341119952.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_WRX View Post
    More pictures... new and olds.

Sent from my Inspire 4G.
    I'm an original owner of a 2002 that the company I was working for
    at the time bought me and I got it for a couple of grand at the end
    of the lease.
    Everything was done at the dealer except for oil changes, which I
    did.

I swapped to synthetic at around 5000 miles. I went with Amsoil
    originally, but had trouble. Every once in awhile I'd get a wisp of
    smoke coming out of the engine compartment, venting out the
    hood scoop. Took it to the dealer a couple of times but naturally
    they didn't see a thing and basically thought I was crazy.
    I swapped to Mobil 1 in 5w-30. No more wisps of smoke. I've been
    using it for over 100,000 miles and there's been no issues.

Advice will be to get a catless uppipe if not done already u dont want the cat to break apart and damage the turbo. Welcome to the club.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68