new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; had my 100% STOCK 03 WRX now for about 9 months, was going to keep it stock, drive it for ...

new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions...

had my 100% STOCK 03 WRX now for about 9 months, was going to keep it stock, drive it for awhile and then maybe get an STI, but i cant wait and im going to mod this one for awhile. ive been into cars/trucks for many years now, but mostly trucks and ive never had a turbo and never had a subie so i had a few questions.

1) lowering... i would like to drop her a couple inches so i was looking into springs, then i saw somewhere i needed new struts too? is this correct? i was looking at some tien (sp?) springs, and i see alot of people selling STI struts, wondering if these will work, or what kind of struts i need to buy.

2) exhaust... i see most major exhausts are pretty expensive, am i better to bite the bullet and spend the money or is there something comperable to the big names without the big $$?

3) tuner... thinking the cobb tuning accessport, again, is there better or same for less $$?

4) is there anything i need to do to this car right away to make it better, like sway bars, or any other adjustments i need to know about? i know about the uppipes, but i know there has to be more "need to do" mods other than that.

thats about it for starters, the rest i can play around with. thanx in advance for all replies, i look to start buying stuff this week cause i cant stand a stock vehicle any longer. THANX!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok, scratch the tein springs, looking at a few other options to lower around 1.25-1.5 all around. i will be buying new struts as well. going to look into coilovers as well. this is all so new, sorry about the stupid questions, i just REALLY hate when the UPS guy shows up and something doesnt fit right.

I Support ClubWRX
    If they haven't already been changed, your struts probably need replacing already, regardless of whether you have aftermarket springs or not.

If you want to save some $$ on an exhaust, buy used. Not only will someone else have taken the depreciation hit, but you'll help another owner get rid of something they have no use for.

Where are you located? A custom tune via OpenECU will likely be less than the Cobb AP, and yield a better/safer tune since it's designed for your specific vehicle rather than a generic map like Cobb offers.

Uppipe should be the first thing on your list. You'll gain some power/spool, while getting rid of the ticking timebomb of the catalyst coming apart and damaging your turbo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

im in illinois, about 60 miles west of chicago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeye44
    im in illinois, about 60 miles west of chicago.
    P&L tunes OpenECU.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

where is P&L located? is that the one in shaumburg i hear about? do they do just tuning or install on parts and sales as well?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.