new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions...

This is a discussion on new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; had my 100% STOCK 03 WRX now for about 9 months, was going to keep it stock, drive it for ...

new(ish) wrx owner with a few questions...

had my 100% STOCK 03 WRX now for about 9 months, was going to keep it stock, drive it for awhile and then maybe get an STI, but i cant wait and im going to mod this one for awhile. ive been into cars/trucks for many years now, but mostly trucks and ive never had a turbo and never had a subie so i had a few questions.

1) lowering... i would like to drop her a couple inches so i was looking into springs, then i saw somewhere i needed new struts too? is this correct? i was looking at some tien (sp?) springs, and i see alot of people selling STI struts, wondering if these will work, or what kind of struts i need to buy.

2) exhaust... i see most major exhausts are pretty expensive, am i better to bite the bullet and spend the money or is there something comperable to the big names without the big $$?

3) tuner... thinking the cobb tuning accessport, again, is there better or same for less $$?

4) is there anything i need to do to this car right away to make it better, like sway bars, or any other adjustments i need to know about? i know about the uppipes, but i know there has to be more "need to do" mods other than that.

thats about it for starters, the rest i can play around with. thanx in advance for all replies, i look to start buying stuff this week cause i cant stand a stock vehicle any longer. THANX!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok, scratch the tein springs, looking at a few other options to lower around 1.25-1.5 all around. i will be buying new struts as well. going to look into coilovers as well. this is all so new, sorry about the stupid questions, i just REALLY hate when the UPS guy shows up and something doesnt fit right.

I Support ClubWRX
    If they haven't already been changed, your struts probably need replacing already, regardless of whether you have aftermarket springs or not.

If you want to save some $$ on an exhaust, buy used. Not only will someone else have taken the depreciation hit, but you'll help another owner get rid of something they have no use for.

Where are you located? A custom tune via OpenECU will likely be less than the Cobb AP, and yield a better/safer tune since it's designed for your specific vehicle rather than a generic map like Cobb offers.

Uppipe should be the first thing on your list. You'll gain some power/spool, while getting rid of the ticking timebomb of the catalyst coming apart and damaging your turbo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

im in illinois, about 60 miles west of chicago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeye44
    im in illinois, about 60 miles west of chicago.
    P&L tunes OpenECU.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

where is P&L located? is that the one in shaumburg i hear about? do they do just tuning or install on parts and sales as well?